Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road
Walks to Port in reverse.

I have a Catalina 25 with inboard diesel that always walks to port when in reverse. Getting out of my slip is difficult because of this. Is there anything I can do to help this condition? I thought of building a SS ring to go around the propeller arc but am not sure this will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Walks to Port in reverse.

That is prop walk and is completely normal. It is pronounced when backing out of your slip because you are going too slow for the rudder to have significant effect on steering. Try "bumping" in and out of revers. Into reverse for a second or two to get a little reverse then into neutral, back into reverse to keep a little velocity then back into neutral. Keep hold of the rudder at all times to steer and go slow. You will find that with even very slow movement in reverse and not trying to fight the prop walk your rudder will much more responsive at a slower speed.
Old 04-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Can you reverse in? then propwalk may help make THAT turn and leaving your slip will be, as my granddaughter says, 'easy peezy lemon squeezy'.....

The prop ring idea's a non-starter, btw....
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-19-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Try "bumping" in and out of reverse. Into reverse for a second or two to get a little reverse then into neutral, back into reverse to keep a little velocity then back into neutral. Keep hold of the rudder at all times to steer and go slow. You will find that with even very slow movement in reverse and not trying to fight the prop walk your rudder will much more responsive at a slower speed.
Ditto on this advice. Don't be afraid to give her some juice when in gear. Kind of like bumping a car to overcome inertia, a quick bump in reverse at higher revs will get you moving. Once motion has started, get back to neutral. Bump her back into gear for a sec or two when she starts to slow down.

Practice when you've got ideal conditions (no current or wind) just to see how she behaves with all other variables removed. That'll give you a great idea of what you'll need to do to balance things out when also fighting an adverse wind or current.
Old 04-19-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I agree with silvio, excluding wind or current as a factor, bumping it in and out of Neutral will help. Just to get some movement.

If I'm alone, ( I have a dock) I will often walk my boat out of the slip until the stern is in the fairway, with the engine on and in neutral. Then I board and engage reverse. The prop walk to port is then my friend, pointing my bow down the fairway.

There's prop walk..and then there's also prop wash.. If your stern pulls to port in reverse ( right hand propeller) You can put the rudder to port to help counteract.
If you were to put the rudder over to starboard, which is instinctual, you actually make the prop walk worse because it's washing against the rudder.
( I think I have stated this correctly.)

Last edited by Tempest; 04-19-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A lot of people will tend to throw the rudder hard over to try to counteract the propwalk, but this will not work.. the rudder needs flow to work.. over hard it's just drag resisting getting the boat moving in the first place.

Keep the rudder amidships until you have steerageway.
arf145, jackdale and larrytwo like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-19-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Once the boat is moving, put the engine in neutral and you will be able to steer. You may want to drop the port side dock lines and pull in the starboard side lines before dropping them and shifting into gear to counter the prop and give yourself more room.
Old 04-19-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I love prop walk, it is my bow thruster. Use it to your advantage.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 04-19-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Completely normal....and quite amusing....there's a guy 2 slips down from me with the same boat as you....and watching him try to back out or come back in is hilarious at times. I stand by with a large pole ready to push him away from me, and other slip owners run around in a panic and shouting warnings whenever he fires up his boat. You can cut the tension with a knife as everyone stands around in fear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-19-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I've found that the most pronounced prop walk, at least in our boat, is at or just above idle rpm. If I increase rpm there seems to be less so I usually raise the throttle initially and get the boat moving then go to neutral once I have enough way on for the rudder to be effective. We have a three blade fixed sailor prop. On our last boat we had an Autoprop which had zero prop walk and tremendous thrust, made tight quarter maneuvering a breeze.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.