Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By T37Chef
  • 1 Post By velero
  • 1 Post By SVAuspicious

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
4th of July in Annapolis?

Heeeeelllllloooooo Chesapeake sailors!

I am planning to be in the Annapolis area before the 4th. In years past we have spent the fourth at Bolling AFB on the Potomac watching the fireworks display on the mall. This will our first year with our boat and are considering trying to grab a mooring ball in Annapolis to watch the festivities.

Question is will this be worth it? Never been to Annapolis during the 4th of July celebrations and never been in the harbor on our boat.

It looks like we will be keeping our boat at Piney Narrows Yacht Club.

We are open to any and all suggestions.

And as is always the case with sailing, things change and I might still be in the Bahamas come July.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Re: 4th of July in Annapolis?

Getting a mooring ball will be difficult unless you get there days early. Marinas will also fill up early.
Old 04-19-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

You might consider either Rock Hall or St. Michaels. Both have fireworks and are not too far away from Annapolis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-19-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

It gets pretty crazy in Annapolis harbor for the 4th, but its a fun time. I'd agree with others suggesting you come in and pick up a mooring several days ahead if you're planning to stay in the harbor. You can also see the fireworks anchored near the middle or mouth of Back Creek, slightly less crazy except right after the show when everyone's coming in. If you want a marina, try Annapolis Landing or Port Williams for the best views. We can stay right in our marina slip to watch, but not all the slips farther up the creek at Jabin's or Port Annapolis, marinas on Back Creek, have a view.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 04-19-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Its been years since I have been to Annapolis for the fireworks display but they were always excellent.

Whatever/wherever you choose, stay the night somewhere away from the main concentration of idiots
Silvio likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-19-2012
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road

get a copy of spinsheet they usually have a firework schedule for the bay. One year I was able to see fireworks in Oxford, Chambridge and Annapolis the same weekend. This year the 4th falls on a Wednesday.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 04-19-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Two years ago, I was able to watch a local fireworks show in the South River, and look over my shoulder, and watch the Annapolis show at the same time.

Just being that close to Annapolis was an absolute nightmare. When the show was over, I was nearly run down by completely unlit, full-throttled power boaters, three times. The rest were merely discourteous.

I was running all of the proper navigation lights. Finally, out of fear and desperation, I sailed with my spreader lights on, to illuminate my sails and I still had power boaters ripping by, mere yards away.

Now, I restrict my fireworks observation to the Rhode River Labor Day show. I might be tempted to check out the Oxford show though. That's a beautiful town.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-23-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

If you do come to Annapolis early and take a mooring in the main field check with Harbormaster (you'll have to talk to the office anyway to pay for the ball) and make sure you have a ball that won't be closed during the fireworks. There is a stand-off requirement. Also be aware that there will be a good bit of ash throughout the mooring field and surrounding areas.

We like anchoring in Whitehall Bay away from the general craziness and still have a good view.
chef2sail likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-23-2012
Sailor

Warren M. is on a distinguished road

While watching the fireworks in Annapolis can be fun, DO NOT anchor out in the harbor or in or around the Naval Academy seawall. People anchor there on top of one another and it's impossible to let out an kind of scope. Also, when the fireworks are over, getting out of there safely is a really nasty challenge. Go up one of the nearby creeks or take a transient slip in a marina if you can find one early on.
Old 04-25-2012
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road

I thought about Annapolis as well, but don't want to be messing around with craziness. I've read that St. Michaels is a good alternative to Annapolis. Where's a good spot to anchor at St. Michaels to watch the show?

Their city website says celebration and fireworks start on 30 June. I guess you could watch them both... Hmmm...