SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

visitor to ny wants to go for a daysail

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
hi all

i live close to san francisco and am visiting the ny/nj area this christmas (12/24 - 12/29). i dont know if its still sailing season this late in winter, but in case it is, i would really really love to get a ride on someone''s sailboat. especially if it would be possible to sail close enough to nyc to get a view of the manhattan skyline.

i have a couple of years of sailing experience so i wont be completely useless on the boat. and i''ll bring the beer.

so, if anyone''s planning on heading out for a daysail between (and including) 12/26 and 12/29, and wouldnt mind a camera-happy tourist on board, send me email at nishman777-sailnet@yahoo.com.

thanks!

#3 ·
I live in NYC. Although Im sure there are a few frostbiters around, the sailing season for the rest of us is a distant memory at this point. That being said, if you want vistas of the city you might want to try to take one of, say, the Circle Line boats or similar operators. Its not a sailboat but its enclosed and you get to see both the East River and the Hudson. Another option which happens to be free is to take the Staten Island Ferry to Staten Island from the tip of Manhattan and back again. If you do this, try not to go during rush hour.

#4 ·
You might be more likely to get a ride on an ice boat on the Hudson!

No sailing available as far as I can tell, but you may still want to visit South Street Seaport at the lower end of Manhattan: http://www.southstseaport.org/

Doubtful that the Shearwater will sail again until Spring, but might be worth a call. See www.shearwatersailing.com

The famous Clearwater also seems to be in port for the winter, up the Hudson, but for any future visit, check out: www.clearwater.org

Good luck--let us know if you find something!

#5 ·
H i Nish : the answer to your posting to go day sailing while visiting in NY comes too late .However, if you get to NY again in the winter contact me because we sail all winter when ever the temps around 45-50 .(when we are not skiing ) We sail out of the Miramar Y C in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn on my Bristol 27 or on my 19'' Flying Scott . If you are in NY in the summer you will find me on my Prindle 18-2 , so bring a wet suit & i''ll take you for a great cat sail off Breezy Point Inlet ,coney Island & into NY Harbor(depending on wind direction & tide !) Of course I expect you will reciprocate if I ever get to California ! Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.