New Season, New directions, fresh results! - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oysterman23

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2012 Thread Starter
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Wink New Season, New directions, fresh results!

Two great days out on Great South Bay, each entirely different with one thing in common: I chose a new direction and challenge each day.

Yesterday, re rigged jib boom control lines and it worked such that it is finally working as a "self tending" rig should, But what was wonderful was going south down the Babylon Cut to the State Boat Channel which would ordinarily be a good place to avoid. It was empty, and the meadows were full of wild life and the sound of terns etc. Broad reach down the channel, jibed into Fox Creek and back out into the Bay

Reefed smoothly and beat east to the bridge. It rained, it blew, it got warm and then the sun came out! God I love being on the water.
Today seemed like the fronts were kinda stalled so decided to go for it. went east to Snake Hill channel (more like troughs between sand waves!) and found the secret run up against the marshes...again quiet, water running against the hull, board up in two to three feet sometimes and then over into the channel leading to Captree and the inlet...water turning deep water green with a clean bottom and solidity to the swell. Hadnt been over there for 16 years...fiirst time sailing through. I sure like this gunkholing thing...like visiting new countries.....especially before the green filies come out!
How bout the rest of you? New challenges new places?
ChrisCod
RobGallagher likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2012
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: New Season, New directions, fresh results!

Good to see that summer chirpiness starting to take hold as you lot get your boats out and sailing.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #3 of 9 Old 04-23-2012

Great story, thanks! I used to sail a keelboat over there, and loved sailing between the islands. I have two thin water daysailers now (as well as WS). Sailing thin water is sublime.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-23-2012
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Cat boats are great for getting into the skinny water, close to all the wildlife. My dock neighbor has one, and it's beautiful. I'm glad you had such nice trips!

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks all.. l'm also looking forward tosailing out towards the inlet where I can feel more of a swell and ride that greenwater......WS: they hauled the old wreck off the point so thereis a new slough developing right where the olddogleg turnwas
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2012

It's interesting how the bottom goes in some of those cuts and the connecting channels. I've been sailing in good water right next to 1' depths.
We should trade sailing days sometime. I'd like to see your boat.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-24-2012 Thread Starter

Ws: sounds good was thinking the same the boat is still very much awork in process but comin along...poor mans yacht don't ya know...
Lets hookup sometime late in May early June
post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2012

Sounds great. My boat is hardly bristol, I can just about keep up with repairs, and my wife complains of flaking paint. But she looks great from 50'! (The boat, that is. The wife looks great a lot closer!)
post #9 of 9 Old 04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Sounds great. My boat is hardly bristol, I can just about keep up with repairs, and my wife complains of flaking paint. But she looks great from 50'! (The boat, that is. The wife looks great a lot closer!)
Nice save.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.