SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Finally got 2/3 of the fleet wet! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86534-finally-got-2-3-fleet-wet.html)

ldog68 04-22-2012 06:21 PM

Finally got 2/3 of the fleet wet!

It started out about 0530 with my middle step-daughter telling me she has no shoes to go out on the boat with.....:mad: Oh, well, a brief scramble and we get that taken care of. Now, fast forward to 0730 at Cochiti Lake NM. I have real "fun" Army Corp of Engineers ranger reading me the riot act for boating responsibly, while we are trying to set the rigging up on two boats....http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...-24-41_102.jpg Ok, boats are rigged now, the Catalina 22 is tied to the launch ramp dock and the O'day Javelin is on the beach. The air temp is about 60 degrees, the water temp is about the same, the wind is switching between East and South at about 7-15 mph. Well the girls want to sail the Javelin with me, since this is the first time I have had it in the water.;) I agree, and my neighbor Daniel takes the C22 out solo for the first time. We leave the beach at 0815 with the little 2hp johnson pushing us into deeper water. When we get about 75 yards off the beach I decide to raise the main. No issues there, the javelin skips along at pretty good clip under main alone... I bet it would really move with the jib up also, lets fly it! All was working just as planned until it came time to tack. On announcing my intentions to the crew , as well as letting them know what they should be doing the wind increased in a nice puff and we healed over a little to port. The crew dived to starboard just as the puff changed directions and 30 seconds later the 3 of were swimming. Its really amazing how fast both sails went underwater! So here we are at the lake, swimming next to the Javelin. My neighbor who has been been watching the whole show, with a smirk :laugher , pulls the crew up onto the C22. They are not panicked, wet, but still having fun. Now the fun begins. I know I am supposed to pull out the swing keel and use it as a lever to flip this boat back over..... After falling off the hull 3 times :laugher I finally figure out how to get the keel out of its pocket and start putting some weight on it. Amazingly enough, it was just like in the pictures! she flipped right back over! So after about 10 minutes of bailing we are sailing again. LOL! The girls sailed the rest of the day on the C22, because they still think I did it on purpose, and refuse to get back on the Javelin until the water is warmer!:laugher So the rest of the day was spent chasing each other around the lake. $45 in gas for the trip, $30 in fishing gear (never used on this trip), $40 in food and drinks, the look on their faces when the sails went underwater, priceless! We learned alot and everyone was safe, there were no injuries and the girls wanted to go sailing Saturday also, but my shoulders had other plans for that day.....

BubbleheadMd 04-22-2012 06:34 PM

Re: Finally got 2/3 of the fleet wet!

The Javelin looks fun. :)

ldog68 04-22-2012 06:41 PM

Its a blast! It gets squirrely fast. It sure sails better when the jib sheets are inside the shrouds. Took me awhile to figure that out...

itsaboat 04-22-2012 07:03 PM

Finally got 2/3 of the fleet wet!

Very nice, Dog! I'm jealous. We had to cancel our outing today due to high winds (30 kt gusts). Good, steady 27 ft boat, but the female crew was looking for a more leisurely cruise.

ldog68 04-22-2012 07:11 PM

I will post the video the girls took , after I get home from work!

ldog68 04-22-2012 07:20 PM

I have 6 females that have sailed with me. 2 think the more wind the better. The other 4 like the wind nice and calm...... just my own unprofessional survey.....

jrd22 04-22-2012 09:08 PM

LOL, 0530 and you're dealing with shoe issues. Love it.
Sounds like you had a great time despite the early bath, thanks for posting, good story.

ldog68 04-23-2012 10:28 AM

Sorry I did not get the video up last night. The admiral had other plans for me, something to do with a 10' long cardboard box, thats supposed to contain a swing set.....