SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

smart phone apps for sailing/boating

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Screaming Seagull 
#1 ·
• Hello I'm bored at work on 3rd shift. figured I'd stop by for some entertainment and advice. This forum hasn't let me down yet.

• I have a iPhone with a few nautical apps. And since my boat (1981 Sonic 23) is about to splash I was just wondering what everyone else who has a smart phone is using while sailing around. I would love to discover something new (preferably free) and maybe even help someone discover something new...

• Here is a list of what I currently have:
- Navionics USA&Canada
- Navigation Rules
- Seamanship
- Knot Guide
- GoneBoating
- Signal Flags Info
- *Sailnet!!!

~___/)___ Bristol, RI

#12 ·
For a chartplotter: inavx.com Not cheap, but very well done.
For coastal forecast: wunderground.com
For friends/family to track your location online: Instamapper GPS Tracker
To text your location to someone fast and easy: I'm Right Here
AIS, but not real AIS: Ship Finder. It is not "real AIS", does not claim to be, but it's better than nothing in the fog.

One I have not tried on the water yet, but plan to is: Voxer Turns your smart phone into a walkie talkie type device (but only with other Voxer users). If they don't answer, it stores your broadcast similar to a voice message that can be played at the touch of a button and then replied to at any time in the same way.

#13 ·
For my closest weather buoy data, I have a bookmark for the noaa web page on my phone's desktop.
Same with one for the noaa marine forcast for my area and one for tides.
also, a bookmark for accuweather since noaa's forcast dosn't mention if its sunny or rainy.

As far as actual apps, i have mx mariner for raster chart gps which works great, but i never really use it in practice.

I have a compass app that i forget the name of that lets you take a bearing by aiming your phone as if you were taking a picture with the camera on it.

I just downloaded marine traffic which lets gives you AIS info with actual pics of the ships. Just in case i'm about to get run down by a supertanker, its nice to know which country it hails from. :)

Also, apps for sailet and that "other" forum.
Oh and seatow... just in case.

#17 ·
I have not used Navionics...but the Motion X GPS has been used many times in WINNING the Transpac race (and setting a new world record two years in a row) by its developer, Philippe Kahn. Google Motion X and Transpac....I've sold a few iPads by showing people how I navigate with it...oh and the charts are free! Just buy the app...I think the iPad version is like 1.99. If its good enough to win a Transpac with, its good enough for me!

#22 ·
• My most up to date apps I use for boat stuff:

--- "Boat 1"---

-Navionics
-MyRadar
-Windfinder
-Wind Meter
-Ship Finder
-Theodolite
-Navigation Rules
-Seamanship
-iGAR
-Sailnet
-Craigslist
-Wunderground

--- "Boat 2"---

-MotionX GPS
-Star Walk
-GoneBoating
-GPS Tracker
-Fuel Mix
-Knot Guide
-Signal flag Info
-SailOwners
-Voile Aborda
-Photo Bucket
-Emergency

Thanks for all the input!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.