Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012

Tonyhibbett is on a distinguished road
Crew dynamics

Last edited by Tonyhibbett; 05-05-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew dynamics

Personnel surely must be the most common breakdown underway. I have been crew and had crew. Going to sea with a poor crew or captain is risking your life.
Old 04-24-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I am boatless, so I sail other person's boat. So far I have been very lucky and had good crews and captain. With a proper people skills with a sense of humors, the conflicts can be easy to subside. It is not really come to who is winning. Who cares?

I have never crewed with so many in a boat like yours. With 6 and up, tension must be there. It is really up to the Captain to set the tone of the voyage. Unfortunately, some captains are not as good as others. It is just becasue he saved and saved and eventually got enough money to buy an old boat but without any leadership skills, now he is the Captain. I often use the crewing opportunity as a training course for "seamanship" and "how to deal with difficult people" in work place.

It was very interesting, when I was at last year C1500 in Hampton. We were sitting in the cockpit with my new Captain and crew mates, We overheard one fellow sailor speaking on his cell referring his captain as Captain douchebag. We were all LOL'd as he walked away.

Because of the delay the departure, we had more parties. I heard so many horror stories about bad crews and captains. It came to realize that how luck I was and we were. We had a great voyage through 11 days. Anyone would have no ideas that we just met a few days ago.

I find this works well in every situation:

Reciprocate Kindness.

1. Before you come up to cockpit, ask anyone needs anything from below. If you going galley , pick up all empty cups or bottles
2. If other cooks, you should do the dishes and clean up
3. If someone pays the tab, next time it is your turn
4. If someone pick up after you, don't do it again.
5. If the head is smelly, clean it
6. In rough sea, check on each others and offer help
7. No reason to be manly, take you motion sickness med.
8. Tethering so other don't have to risk their live to save you.

I am sure there are more
spinwing likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-25-2012

Thanks for sharing, and taking responsibility for your own part. We all should analyze our sailing for safety, it's the only way to learn. I certainly make mistakes, and try to learn from them and others.
I hope your daughter is improving.
Old 04-25-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

One of Stephen King's best lines:
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home"

Same can be said of racing crews. A ragtag last minute crew with no history together and no common drive to win will always lose, and lose with ill grace, and only bond after they have lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Gender wars and passive aggressive crew... gotta love another day in paradise!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Wow. This discussion went downhill fast. Between Denise and 12345, I think I'll keep my crew story to myself.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-25-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Wow. This discussion went downhill fast. Between Denise and 12345, I think I'll keep my crew story to myself.
It certainly doesn't need to be. Go sail in the seas that you need your crew mates to survive.

Just remember, we don't need to have sex with him or her or get married after the sail with our boat mates. It is a short term things, it is certainly not a case of my dick is bigger than yours. Chill and have fun.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-26-2012

There's always some one cranky.
SailingBag likes this.
Old 04-26-2012

bill@custardpie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyhibbett View Post
Also less fun, which in my view, is the the object of the exercise. Unfortunately it has proved impossible to get regular crew apart from myself (retired with minimal committments) and the owner, (self employed, married, 9 year old boy, family disinterested in sailing). If it were not for an open house policy, I would not have got involved in the first place.
It's the old catch 22. You have to give experience to get competence and confidence, but at a certain risk. Poor crew drop out and good crew move on, so you have to constantly welcome new blood, which sometimes has unwelcome consequences as well as positive ones!
Actually if you look at who was on the boat on Saturday, only one of the people hadn't sailed on the boat before. Most of them had been out and done several races with us. They also have a lot of experience on other boats both racing and cruising.

We had a crew of 7 which is one light compared to most of the other boats out there of a similar size. The ideal would be a group of 8 people who roll out of bed at 6am every Sunday and going sailing. But the reality is that rarely happens you normally get a pool of people who sail when they are available. With luck if you have 20 people 7-8 of them are going to be available to sail on a particular day. The key is to get the ratio of new blood to old right and generally we manage to do that.

I agree one crew member definitely upset the dynamic on the Saturday, mostly I suspect for reasons unrelated to sailing, and they didn't do it deliberately it was just a personality thing. Thats the risk you take when you do anything with a group of people. It was interesting to see that at the end of Sunday everyone was talking and maybe appreciated each other a bit more than they had on the Saturday evening.

You do have to do the mileage to get the competence and it would have been a real surprise to have been coming home in first place Saturday. It takes a lot of sailing time to get a boat/crew into the right state/frame of mind to be even vaguely competitive on the Solent.

It is definitely depressing to be a quarter of the way down the first beat and maybe 20minutes adrift already. I actually think we stuffed it up on the second take going with the shift into Osbourne bay we should of stuck with the headed tack and gone over towards the Stokes Bay side.....

There is a load of stuff thats not right with the way that we sail the boat. We have a boat that we don't have the patience to make go in anything under a force 2 boat, way too much chatter and movement of the crew, then goes like a train up to force 4-5 then becomes a dog on a beat mostly because we are over canvased. We need to sort that out.

But there is also stuff thats better this year compared to last which is the important thing. We have pretty much cracked dropping the big asymmetric, we're not scared of it anymore and the tacking is coming on.

The key is to have a set of targets and actually set out to achieve them... maybe next race we can manage to not come last ? Is that really such a bad objective to have.

As for Ryde Sands the crash tack to avoid the shallow water was fast enough to bounce us off which is pretty impressive given we were doing 6.5 knots prior to that..... lets say we kissed Ryde Sands the navigator down below didn't even know we'd been on the beach !

Maybe next time the navigator will tell his skipper to watch out for Ryde sands ?

Enough said...