SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Re-Naming A Boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86579-re-naming-boat.html)

casey1999 04-23-2012 08:59 PM

Re-Naming A Boat

My boat has had several names over the years. I was thinking about re-naming her, but am afraid about any bad luck it might bring.

Would it be ok to write the previous names on the stern in small (1-inch high) letters with the new name in larger lettering. Would this appease the Poseidon or upset him?

Regards

Irunbird 04-23-2012 09:54 PM

Re: Re-Naming A Boat

uhh, I don't know... Isn't that a little like making a mark through the tatooed names of old girl friends and getting a fresh tatoo of the current girl on your arm? We just bought an Olson 30 and I'm planning on doing plenty of ocean sailing (up/down the coast, and a possible double-handed venture to Bermuda), so I'm personally not taking any chances. This is what I'm going with before renaming her properly- 48 Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony

xymotic 04-23-2012 10:06 PM

Nooooooooo! That will upset him for sure and will absolutely positively bring 100% certain doom!

ALL references to old names have got to go.

Here, look it's even on the Internet so you know it's true: Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

jrd22 04-23-2012 10:23 PM

When you're dealing with Gods, make sure you don't skimp on the quality and quantity of champagne (see above referenced Vigor's ceremony). All references to past names must be removed from the boat and they should never again be spoken while aboard. To do so is at your peril. Many have chosen to ignore these well known truths, but they've all suffered terrible fates.

DavidB.UK 04-24-2012 06:12 AM

I think on this thread one can only express their personal beliefs on the subject.

For my 2peneth I think the honour and privilege of naming a baot belongs to those who commission the build.

I have only been able to buy 2nd hand boats so far, but I do look forward to the day when one day I can name my first Oyster! :)
__________________________________________________ ______________

However, I believe that a case could be made that the changing of name has nothing to do with the gods but the subsequent 'bad luck' is nothing more than law of attraction manifesting mis-fortune because you have the idea of 'bad luck' festering in the back of you mind...

And so because (on some level) you are thinking about mis-fortune, so shall you come to experience it...

Shemlock 04-24-2012 07:06 AM

Scrape it all off and put the new name on. Screw the jinx it's all in your head!!! If you sail stupid and sink is that a jinx or if you sail with total awareness and find your port is that luck?

Cruiser2B 04-24-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shemlock (Post 862533)
Scrape it all off and put the new name on. Screw the jinx it's all in your head!!! If you sail stupid and sink is that a jinx or if you sail with total awareness and find your port is that luck?

While I usually tend to agree with your type of thinking and was going to take that route. I could not do it. We followed the de-naming procedures of John Vigor as well. It was actually a good time. Have fun with it, Isnt that what the boat is for?!

H and E 04-24-2012 08:17 AM

Re-name her- get lots of champaign and friends and enjoy the ceremony. I did ours on the trailer at home and had the party oops ceremony at the dock when we put her in the water.

xymotic 04-24-2012 12:07 PM

I too believe in keeping the original name. I can do that now because my new boat has a cool name that I like (Oceana) and it has always had the same name since 1938 AND it's welded onto the transom in big block letters. :) I'm pretty sure it's written in ink in Poseidon's ledger.

But...

My last boat had a stupid name. And it had already been changed before I got it. So in that case, I pretty much HAD to change it because you never know if it was done correctly, and.... well it was stupid so duh!

casey1999 04-24-2012 12:59 PM

Thanks for the good suggestions. I will not paint multiple names on the hull. I am actually thinking about renaming the boat back to its original name. While working on the boat I have found many references to this original name (under sole boards, under cusions, under galley access hatches) so this name was never totally gone from the boat.

I am not generally superstitous, but sometimes when boarding a boat, entering a building, or walking in an area, you get a feeling of past history. You do not want to disturb that history. Maybe it will not bring you bad luck if you do, but you may have better luck if you do not as you have not disturbed the energy of the area or object (I believe boats can store a lot of energy, that is why people are so drawn to boats, and particularly sailing vessels, as large engine can disturb the flow of energy) If I do rename, I will use the proper ceremony.

Regards