Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: shoal draft keel vs regular keel

Has anybody heard or know of any big weather or Trans ocean passages on a Southerly? When I saw my first Southerly Advert. in a sail mag and the photo was of a 40 something up on a beach, I was sold. I do big passages in heavy weather on my little swing keel sloop, but I have a 3 foot modified full keel. I know Comadore Monroe did some big weather stuff with his fleet of Sharpies. Lets face it. I like sailing, but what I like more is where I'm sailing to. Constantly in search of the secluded lagoon with the desserted sandy, palm tree beach. The closer I can get to shore the more I like the place. A big Cat is my goal because wife does'nt like tilting, A Southerly may be the answere If I can teach her the comfort of heeling over on a properly ballasted boat.
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 03-31-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
.... A big Cat is my goal because wife does'nt like tilting, A Southerly may be the answere If I can teach her the comfort of heeling over on a properly ballasted boat.
Aaron -
If and when you put your Soverel 28 up for sale, shoot me a pm. Thanks!
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 03-31-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeach View Post
Aaron -
If and when you put your Soverel 28 up for sale, shoot me a pm. Thanks!
Thanks, and I take that as a compliment. It will never happen. I've been sailing on it with Granpa since I was 6, lived on it with him from years 8 to 10, most of 13. and periodically as a teenager, all if my 18th year. I single handled it to Belize when was 19, Lived on it all through my 20' s and 30's. I've sunk it twice and sold it once, bought it back a year later. I've done 3 full restorations, and am currently about to sail it south to relocate it to Honduras. I've been in dire straights, broke as joke, so I know I will never sell it again, unless it's to one of my Grandfathers other Grand children, and I'd probably just give it to them. No this boat is staying in the Family. Sorry. But I do see them around from time to time. I'll let you know what I come up with. i saw one on sailboat listings .com and there is one anchored off of Coconut Grove.
Old 03-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Has anybody heard or know of any big weather or Trans ocean passages on a Southerly? ...
Lot's of them. Southerly are very Seaworthy boats. Unfortunately they are also quite expensive. I guess that their 35ft (110) or even the 32 would be more than enough for you but their prices on the used market are quite high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has anybody heard or know of any big weather or Trans ocean passages on a Southerly? When I saw my first Southerly Advert. in a sail mag and the photo was of a 40 something up on a beach, I was sold. I do big passages in heavy weather on my little swing keel sloop, but I have a 3 foot modified full keel. I know Comadore Monroe did some big weather stuff with his fleet of Sharpies. Lets face it. I like sailing, but what I like more is where I'm sailing to. Constantly in search of the secluded lagoon with the desserted sandy, palm tree beach. The closer I can get to shore the more I like the place. A big Cat is my goal because wife does'nt like tilting, A Southerly may be the answere If I can teach her the comfort of heeling over on a properly ballasted boat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant...ling_TV_series)

In Series five they finally buy a Southerly 42, named Distant Shores in which they travel from England to the Caribbean and the Bahamas, via the Madeira and the Canary Islands. Due to the boat's low draft (it has a swing keel) they were able to explore areas inaccessible to other boats.

Last edited by olddog60; 03-31-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I've also got a Clearwater 35 like Ron's. According to the builder, I've got 5500 lbs of lead ballast, half of which is inside the leading edge of the NACA foil shaped swing keel. The other half is glassed into the very slack bilge. My displacement is 12500 lbs, according to the rating folks (who also rated Heron). That would make the displacement to ballast ratio 0.44.

The Clearwater will go to weather with the best of them and stay on her feet at the same time. When beating, I will rarely heel more than 20 degrees--much less, say than a Bristol 35.5.

My point is that the ballast arrangement, along with form stability, seems to work very well in the Clearwater. The narrow cabin and inboard chainplates allows for tight sheeting angles, which also helps. The underbody looks very much like the Southerly design, although we only have a single, deeper draft rudder (which also swings to allow a minimum 1' 10" draft).

Did you own her about 10 years ago? If so, I saw you one evening in Mystic, I was puttering around the harbor in my inflatable with my girlfriend, we exchanged a few words with you about the boat... She's a beauty, alright...

I've always loved Craig Walters' designs, one of my all-time dreamboats is your larger sister, the Seguin 40 built by Lyman-Morse... I was sort of semi-seriously considering buying this one 10 years ago, the price was actually lower than it is now...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75470&url=

NICHE had been beautifully finished by her original owner, a master carpenter... However, having done the same thing with my own boat (not nearly so beautifully, I'm afraid) all I could see when going aboard, was how I would have done things differently. I didn't care for the dinette arrangement, and I think the general concept of your layout is a lot more practical, and versatile... However, I still lust for another Seguin 40 to come on the market, a real rarity as L-M only built 8 of them, I believe...

It's a pity Holby didn't get to build many more of the Clearwaters, they really were a boat ahead of their time, seems there would be a real market for them today... Hard to think of a more ideal boat for the Bahamas (not to mention the entire Eastern seaboard, of course), it would be incredible some of the things you could do over there with your draft...
Old 03-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog60 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant...ling_TV_series)

In Series five they finally buy a Southerly 42, named Distant Shores in which they travel from England to the Caribbean and the Bahamas, via the Madeira and the Canary Islands. Due to the boat's low draft (it has a swing keel) they were able to explore areas inaccessible to other boats.
That was back in 2007. They liked so much the boat that they changed it by a Southerly 49, I guess for having more space for paid guests, another way to say charter work

‘DISTANT SHORES’ Southerly 49, finishes the ARC | Humphreys Yacht Design

Southerly - News - Distant Shores New Season

Regards

Paulo
olddog60 and benesailor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

Love that boat. But....Out of my price range.
Old 03-31-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I love Southerly's. Very well built. I met a couple that sail a southerly 57. Stunning boat. The nice thing about a southerly is..... when you board a newer one for the first time you can smell the wood! You have to be there to appreciate it. It doesn't smell like plastic.
My dream boat right now is a Southerly 420. Maybe in a couple years....

A southerly is to have your cake and eat it too.
Old 03-31-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Southerly 420 - Introduction