Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Over Powered in 30 knots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
A jib and reefed main are ideal until wind force is too great for that combination. As the breeze grows (like 30) the small jib with fully reefed main become too much sail, the next step (the best and somewhat only way) is jib alone, as with most boats a main (reefed or not) does not provide any drive upwind. (If you have a sail plan with a large main, that may not be so true...)
Will most boats tack with just a jib in 30 knts or more? With my mast head sloop I have found I really need a deeply reefed main in strong winds to be able to tack and to make any upwind progress, and it balances the helm much better. Going down wind the jib alone seems to work ok.

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Will most boats tack with just a jib in 30 knts or more? With my mast head sloop I have found I really need a deeply reefed main in strong winds to be able to tack and to make any upwind progress, and it balances the helm much better. Going down wind the jib alone seems to work ok.

Regards
I was thinking the same thing--- I guess maybe when your not in small water bodies you can use the job going upwind because you can time the wave periods to your movements.
However, in say, the St. Johns river, the waves build up fast and rough after 20 knots-- the waves movements are chaotic at best. So under these conditions I don't see it working (I tried VERY hard yesterday in fact!)
I will use the main in conjunction next time, as well as charting a better course in the first place!
Old 04-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I was thinking the same thing--- I guess maybe when your not in small water bodies you can use the job going upwind because you can time the wave periods to your movements.
However, in say, the St. Johns river, the waves build up fast and rough after 20 knots-- the waves movements are chaotic at best. So under these conditions I don't see it working (I tried VERY hard yesterday in fact!)
I will use the main in conjunction next time, as well as charting a better course in the first place!
I have tried to time the swells and I still cannot tack. With stong winds there is not only the waves pushing you back but also the wind load on the boat and rig which can be significant. One thing I have found is reefing (main and jib) makes a huge difference in boat comfort and handling.
In most cases when I sail I probably am over reefed, but this is much better than too much sail or having to reef when short handed (over reefed just means I am going a little slower- no big deal). I have also had a situation I lost total control of the helm until I reefed the jib. You sound like a fast learner- good luck.
Old 04-24-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

How did you get such a tidy reef? Do you have in boom furling or something? Looks nice.

MedSailor
Old 04-24-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post

Regards
From my experience, I've beat upwind in numerous different boats under jib alone, from a Rhodes 19 to a Southwester 42, and have never found progress upwind or tacking not feasible. A main certainly simplifies handling, but not too many boats can carry a small jib and a double reef main in 30 knots (my CS 36T had a 85% which I would use alone in that wind speed). Like that the maneuvers take more attention and thought than when you have the main in the sail plan.

Last edited by sailingfool; 04-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2012

dinodino is on a distinguished road

Like the other posters said, you need your main. I hope it's blowing like that tomorrow, because I'm going day sailing out of St Aug in the afternoon...
Old 04-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

IF it was really that windy it would be giving a full on race boat a bit of beatdown and we would be in survive and TRY not to break the boat or crew mode
It looks to me the boat in the middle would be sliding sideways and have no steerage- looks nearly totally out of control.
Old 04-24-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Ok, I won't beat a dead horse here, but yep, SOME boats (mine included) require a bit of main as well. I agree though in 30 knot winds, I'd be done!

However, some other observations (and not condemning here) but yeah, probably not a good idea to be out in those conditions with a known dodgy motor.

However, take a look at the "throttle return spring" on that motor... we spent tons on a volvo penta for the same problem, with similar governor work, and found a broken return spring to be the problem.

Finally... once fixed, MOTOR SAIL! Every last bit of forward momentum my friend....

if you plan on sailing those kinds of conditions in any regularity, might be a good idea to get a set of stormsails (I know easy to say, big bucks, yep I get it).

I second the 270s to change point of sail. I've done this kind of "chicken jibe" to move from port to starboard tacks.
Old 04-24-2012

snider is on a distinguished road

I''m not sure if this has been mentioned but if you must sail upwind under jib alone you can usually tack if you foot off just a shy higher than a beam reach, then as you turn the boat into the wind let the jib go and your momentum should carry you through the tack. By pulling the jib tight as you get closer to the wind you are actually worsening your balance by causing more pressure on the jib making it harder to complete the tack.
Old 04-25-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

You could also do what the old square riggers used to do. They could not go to weather at all, so if they needed to change heading through the eye of the wind, instead of tacking (which we do but they couldn't) they would wear ship. To wear ship is to gybe around (270 deg or so) until you're on the other tack. It's like the opposite of a chicken jybe.

You can make up for the frustrating fact that your boat is being piggish and won't tack through the wind by impressing your friends with your knowledge of obsolete nautical terms.

"All hands prepare to wear ship!"

MedSailor
peterchech likes this.