Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy - Page 14 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
No not at all. It's pretty simple....

Lesson learned, give wider berth to the lee shores of the Farallones. Now lets race... Oh yeah we can't Captain Cindy said we can't.....
Hmm, "Captain Cindy", now I think I understand.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Never know when you might need to artificially inseminate someone or clean up spilled battery acid or oil.....
Not with the same baster...or at least not in the wrong order.

Although, AI with battery acid and oil might explain the personalities of some of us here.

There aren't many threads here that a post-whore like me won't throw my opinion into, but this is one of them. I haven't raced since I was a kid, i have never raced big boats, I have never raced in the waters in which this tragedy occured, so any opinion I would offer on how I would have done it differently, better, or more successfully is just tapdancing on the graves of those lost.

My thoughts go out to those lost and those who carry on .
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Sure..... As I said my "opinion" and it differs from yours... I think I have made my point "sarcastically" not "hysterically". The only ones getting hysterical are the ones who have resorted to four letter....... well.......

If 1 person had perished would the USCG have done this? Doubtful. It has apparently happened before, and they have not. It is still but ONE tragic accident in a long history of safe rounding. I just find the reaction is one of the knee jerk type and I see it as a move of public appeal, not real problem solving....

Actually I have no problem with sarcasm (as you might guess) - but you have to admit, you baited the dude...and got personal before he did (do you guys have some history in the political threads?). So don't be surprised at strong reactions or even four letter words. You just got what you were looking for. (I know, I used to play a Troll on Broadway - and AS).

Also, love your point about the hypocrisy of sailors calling out others with different approaches. It was the basis of my FC/AFOC flourishes for years. So you're right on.

However, again, in this case...you're not making sense. The USCG is already a critical part of this activity. Organized races have to be coordinated with them (and permitted by them) - for very good reasons. They help ensure it's a safe event for ALL the traffic out there on the water (obviously without too much interference by insisting on rule minutiae for the actual race, leaving that up to the OA) - THEN they freely provide the back-up we've just seen when people get caught. Furthermore, caught doing something that appears might be a more widespread practice of questionable safety than just this one incident. That's actually some very reasonable "government interference".

So your cry of "Freedom" is just a bit silly...and potentially hypocritical if, God forbid, you ever have the need of rescue.

The CG is doing the right thing. And now it's the OA's and racing community's turn to do the right thing and work to make the race safer.

It really doesn't need to be any more Orwellian than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-28-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2012

BigDawgz is on a distinguished road

I'll never forget this story, and will use the lessons taught here.

Thank you.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 04-28-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgz View Post
I'll never forget this story, and will use the lessons taught here.

Thank you.
I have to believe that this is what all the posts were aimed at. Hopefully, others have learned also.

Paul T
Old 04-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Actually I have no problem with sarcasm (as you might guess) - but you have to admit, you baited the dude...and got personal before he did (do you guys have some history in the political threads?). So don't be surprised at strong reactions or even four letter words. You just got what you were looking for. (I know, I used to play a Troll on Broadway - and AS).
Can you please show me where I took it to a personal level with another SN poster and directly insulted anyone here at a personal level? If I did I will be the FIRST to PUBLICLY apologize. I think I have discussed "issues" surrounding the event not attacked posters personally.

I do not participate in off topic or political forums here. I merely preemptively suggested that my "opinion" would not be shared by others, with my let the dirt fly comment, and it is not shared by all so my assumption was correct..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I think below is when you really notched up the trolling motor.

Look, I don't care really. It's between you guys. But to accuse the dude of "getting personal" and "hiding behind four letter words" (which always seems to get the attention of the mods)...especially after your spirited hyperbole directed at him (sarcastic and smiley-laden though it might have been)...was a little over the top.

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Oh so you want to mandate the human thought process now that you know you are not prepared to "safely" sail off shore.......

Where does the nanny madness stop? What is "safe" and prudent for YOU may not be safe and prudent for ME.... As I said setting to sea with anything less than what I carry is NOT SAFE SEAMANSHIP... You should be deemed manifestly unsafe by USCG Capt. Cynthia Stowe.... When you're "prepared" to safely set out to sea then we'll talk... Until then PLEASE stay at the dock because you are a danger to yourself and the rescuers who will need to save you.

See the ridiculousness.. No, I figured you would not......

Who's going to monitor your thoughts while sailing to keep you from cutting a corner too close that someone else has deemed too close.? Will you need to wear a temporal lobe scanner wired to the AIS system so USCG Capt. Cynthia Stowe can monitor your decision process to keep you in-line?

Are we to now set sailing "boundaries" so skippers no longer have to think....? Perhaps we just program all GPS devices to set danger zones you can't go near. If you do an alarm is sent to Capt. Cynthia Stowe so she can ban you from yourself...

ALL SAILING IS INHERENTLY DANGEROUS, NOT JUST RACING AS SOME IN THIS THREAD SEEM TO FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I FEEL IT IS 100% HYPOCRITICAL TO CALL OTHERS SAILING PRACTICES INTO QUESTION WHEN YOU YOURSELF MAY NOT BE 150% SAFE WHEN AT SEA..... (See my list)

Tongue firmly in cheek, in case you missed that,......................................again..

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If 1 person had perished would the USCG have done this? Doubtful.
Pointless point MS - it WAS 5 deaths. I'm sure when an airliner crashes there is a bigger investigation than when an ultralight crash kills 1 person or when 5 people get murdered, the police put on more of a push than when 1 person does as well - mass deaths always cause more fuss than singles - just a fact of life.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think below is when you really notched up the trolling motor.

Look, I don't care really. It's between you guys. But to accuse the dude of "getting personal" and "hiding behind four letter words" (which always seems to get the attention of the mods)...especially after your spirited hyperbole directed at him (sarcastic and smiley-laden though it might have been)...was a little over the top.

Just sayin'.
If SBS or ANYONE read that as a personal level attack I whole heartily apologize.

I am sorry if it was taken that way by ANYONE and especially SBS. SBS and I have NO history that I am aware of and I have less than zero animosity towards ANYONE here on SN. Not my style.

Being offensive at a personal level was absolutely NOT my intent hence all the smiles, winkies etc., and the last line. It was meant as pure sarcasm to make a point, that's it..

Words are often misread and I apologize if mine were.

I try to make it a point to NEVER go personal. My SINCERE apologies if it appears that's what I did.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-28-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
... If people can't be trusted to make decisions that protect the safety of vessel and crew; then they should expect to have more safety restrictions imposed.

It's a basic requirement for all risk involved racing sports to assess their safety standards and make improvements to safety where needed. It's the reason why so few auto racers die in present day; because of the massive safety rules and requirements that are in place for those events. If sailing racers don't like or want to adopt any more safety rules; well I'm sorry but expect for the USCG to take away the ability for you to race here by not issuing new event permits. It's just that simple.
And while racing if you can gain some advantage taking some more risks you can be sure that some will be willing to risk more that others and will gain an unfair advantage because they are endangering their lives and the lives of others.

Regards

Paulo