Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy - Page 16 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones
Okay, the tardfest has begun. I'm out, before this thread gets any more sidetracked by stupidity.

But before I go, GMFL, if you think you were attacked, "bro," you really need to HTFU. Show me the piece of legislation banning racing permanently and I'll buy your silly inaccurate overreaction. You said something stupid and got called on it, and your response is more stupidity. Seeya.
Quote:
Urban dictionary: 1. tardfest A combination of the words "retard" and "festival".

Quote:
I find the word you used to describe what is going on in this thread as utterly offensive. Some of us might have people we know who are challenged. I find it rude, inconsiderate and completely offensive to use words like that on a SAILING forum... Sorry but that is just how I feel. Mainesail .

I am in full agreement with Maine. Absolutely utterly offensive. If the moderators allow offensive remarks such as this and personal attacks by this poster and the other smug megaposter and dont reign this stuff in, I will soon be joing the ranks of our former collegue Saildog and turn away from postimg on this forum. I am a big supporter of Sailnet in our area, but these mindless internet denizens who take great sport in making fun of others who post are getting old.

Its funny the moderators never post like this an are encouraging as well as respectfull of others comments, even when they disagree. It is not just what you say in life...its how you say it.
Respect is becomming a thing of the past in Sailnet forums. Just saying

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-28-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
You want to regulate language, but not regulate sailing?

I apologize if you found that word offensive. Certainly not my intention. It also wasn't my intention to sidetrack this thread, which is why I have bowed out after commenting on the stupidity of a post here, stupidity which continues to persist.
This kind of chest slapping is usual when talk to turns to politics. GM's comments aren't any more stupid than yours or mine are bl.

The USCG is involved because the USCG is involved. That's yacht racing fellas. As I said above, I think the government-intrusion hyperbole just doesn't fit this issue for that very reason.

Why don't you guys talk like sailors for a while (instead of politically charged drama nerds) and figure out what should be done within yacht racing to improve safety - while still allowing the competitive edginess that keeps it fun? That might be helpful.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-28-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I am in full agreement with Maine. Absolutely utterly offensive. If the moderators allow offensive remarks such as this and personal attacks by this poster and the other smug megaposter and dont reign this stuff in, I will soon be joing the ranks of our former collegue Saildog and turn away from postimg on this forum. I am a big supporter of Sailnet in our area, but these mindless internet denizens who take great sport in making fun of others who post are getting old.

Its funny the moderators never post like this an are encouraging as well as respectfull of others comments, even when they disagree. It is not just what you say in life...its how you say it.
Respect is becomming a thing of the past in Sailnet forums. Just saying

Dave
Actually chef, it's both. And remember, respect goes both ways (that was my earlier point to Maine). I've called BL out several times for posts that I felt went over the line (see his tag under his username). That's what a community does - works it out amongst themselves out in the open instead of relying on back-room politics or, worse, some governing/moderating hand to do the dirty work, right? So where are my "personal attacks" again? I'd appreciate a link.

BTW - do you want me to come up with a nickname for you? Are you being respectful even when you disagree? Or are you taking some shots here?

Signed,

The Other Smug Megaposter and Part-Time Mindless Internet Denizen

+++++++++++++

Now, what do you think should be done regarding safety in yacht racing?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

More sad news: 3 Dead 1 Missing in CA Yacht Race

What I said about this topic earlier in this thread was sincere in the context of temporary bans.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail
So we need to suspend ocean racing out of only San Fran? If ocean racing deserves a ban out of San Fran why not the rest of the US? Oh yeah, I guess it is only dangerous out of San Fran and the ocean elsewhere is much more accommodating of ocean racers and not wanting to swallow them up. Completely and utterly ridiculous, reprehensible and a gross display of public media PANDERING. My point here is that I find it entirely condescending and a full media pander to ban ocean racing out of San Fran & San Fran only.
So if it was good enough for San Fran racers why not the rest of the nation?

I'm sorry but this is a big part of why I found that move by the USCG so offensive. Either ban it all temporarily or none at all. The ocean is the ocean......

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

The CG is doing the right thing.
For those in the "ban camp", did they do the right thing?

My deepest heartfelt condolences to the families of those lost in the recent tragedy.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-29-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I will respond in another forum as I stand by my remarks about honoring the fallen from this tragedy.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-29-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
More sad news: 3 Dead 1 Missing in CA Yacht Race

What I said about this topic earlier in this thread was sincere in the context of temporary bans.....

So if it was good enough for San Fran racers why not the rest of the nation?

I'm sorry but this is a big part of why I found that move by the USCG so offensive. Either ban it all temporarily or none at all. The ocean is the ocean......

For those in the "ban camp", did they do the right thing?

My deepest heartfelt condolences to the families of those lost in the recent tragedy.
On your question about why not the rest of the nation...if you're going by the story you linked above to make the comparison...that was apparently a collision at sea. The reason for this SF suspension is that the deaths seem to be a combination of the course parameters and, judging by the talk I've seen over at SA, a wider mentality among the actual racing community who were pushing it closer and closer. There was a recipe for more problems in this area unless the OA took some measures.

The fact that the USCG is NOT enacting a nation-wide suspension on racing, despite your example, actually undermines your point about government wanting to clasp its evil fist around all our freedoms. (If they do so based on your example, I'll eat my rhode.)

As I said, the suspension in SF makes sense.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-29-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2012

snider is on a distinguished road

I think it would be prudent to place a temporary ban on races around the Farallones until measures were put into place to insure boats rounding are a safe distance from the shoal. After all it was the close proximity to the island that lead to the accident. There's no way the yacht would have wound up on the rocky beach had it been required to round half a mile to windward.

The anti government rhetoric here is preventing a reasonable discussion about what measures could be taken to prevent this type of accident in the future. I haven't been here in a few years and its sad to see such right wing nut politics contaminating what's suppose to be a sailing forum.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 04-29-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by snider View Post
The anti government rhetoric here is preventing a reasonable discussion about what measures could be taken to prevent this type of accident in the future. I haven't been here in a few years and its sad to see such right wing nut politics contaminating what's suppose to be a sailing forum.
+1. What's funny is that we had almost 100 posts with a good discussion before things started going politically pear-shaped with the fighting.

When Keelhaulin and I can have a civil conversation and agree with one another - you know ANYTHING is possible!

Old 04-29-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
+1. What's funny is that we had almost 100 posts with a good discussion before things started going politically pear-shaped with the fighting.

When Keelhaulin and I can have a civil conversation and agree with one another - you know ANYTHING is possible!
So now anyone who disagrees with the ban on any racing outside the GG bridge is a "right wing nut"?

With all due respect NONE of my posting on this have ANYTHING to do with my politics. PERIOD... My posts are about SAILING and that is IT. I just happen to disagree with the ban, and the WAY it was implemented, and now we've denigrated into four letter words, disgracing the mentally challenged and calling people right wing nuts.. Wow.....

I can tell you that is the first time I have been "associated" with "right wing nuts".... But hey feel free to call anyone with a differing opinion on a SAILING MATTER a "right wing nut" if it makes YOU GUYS feel better....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-29-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...Signed,

The Other Smug Megaposter and Part-Time Mindless Internet Denizen

We are here to share and have fun and that is not possible without a cordial ambiance...and thanks for the humor smack

Regards

Paulo