Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012

ksgallyrit is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing the Bahamas

I read that man paddled his canoe across Atlantic from Europe to Caribbean for 76 days. I am sure that his canoe was small less than 26.

World News: First person to canoe solo across Atlantic makes it in 76 days - thestar.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
People have sailed around the world in 27ft boats
I am sure Evgny Gvoznev 12ft Shane Acton 18ft et al would regard 27 feet as HUGE.
Old 04-27-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Read this sometime: Travels with Miss Cindy
Old 04-27-2012

wallabycreek is on a distinguished road

I personally have sailed twice around the world. I saw a single woman on a 21 footer and another man on a home built ply 19 footer. There is some really good advice in "Around The World Sailing Guide" at Amazon.com
It is called adventure. When you have a big boat full of safety gear this is NOT adventure.
Old 04-27-2012
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road

Honestly I don't know why people make a deal out of the gulf stream. It is nothing t worry about unless the weather is strong, particularly from the north. Remember it is only a long day sail to Bahama and weather forecasts are pretty reliable for 48 hours. It is not even a "passage" so if your boat is sound, and you know how to sail there is no issue
Many of the boats cruising the Bahamas are small. In fact the bit larger boats often get to Georgetown and never lift their anchor from Dec to April, they make a big deal out of winds over 15kts. They are really just folks living in floating trailers at the Georgetown trailer park while folks like yourself on a 27 footer are cruising the beautiful far islands!
snider and SVAuspicious like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Matt Layden has a site...micro-cruising,,,and there's a section on micro-cruisin' in the Bahamas...that may be of interest to some...haven't heard of what Matt is up to of late...his last website update was last November. I also saw something online last year that Sven Yrvind stopped in to see him when he was in Florida...anyway here is link to Matt's nice website...
http://www.microcruising.com/

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-27-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

Came across an older couple early 60s in a niagra 24 in the bahamas once there small boats are great for island hopping, just get a good break in the weather for the crossing and have fun in da sun
Old 04-27-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

I loved my 24-footer and would have little thought of going to bahamas with her if I could have...hoping to get there with my 40-footer...stocked to the gunwhales with water and food so I can afford the trip without spending buku bucks in the towns...

I simply have to see the Exumas....I am hoping for early fall at the latest...one way or another...it's nigh time for an adventure of great magnitude...life's too short to put it off anymore...but the bahamas is accessible to smaller boats depending on how long...With a 40-footer I am looking at 300 dollars or so just for a touring permit so I want to stay as long as that will buy me...before heading back to Florida...or Puerto Rico...lol
If your boat is under 35-feet I hear it is about half that for one of these touring permits or whatever......
utchuckd likes this.

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-27-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
I loved my 24-footer and would have little thought of going to bahamas with her if I could have...hoping to get there with my 40-footer...stocked to the gunwhales with water and food so I can afford the trip without spending buku bucks in the towns...
Food isn't too bad - it's paper goods that are mind-boggling. Pack lots of paper towels and toilet paper. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2012

FirstLightVeroBeach is on a distinguished road
sailing the Bahamas

We're hoping to leave next week from Lake Worth to West End on a 44 Gulfstar. Anyone know how crowded the anchorage at the inlet is? I understand Sun Fest is going on from Wed-Sun and wondered if the partying boats take over the anchorage. Would hate to leave Ft. Pierce and arrive at PB and there's "no room in the inn"