Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing the Bahamas

MY uncle sailed a Hobie 16' from WPB to Man-O-War in three days. Got overturned in the stream and lost most the provisions.
27' is more than enough. Just watch your wind direction.
TJC45 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013
Steve Wright

sdwcheney is on a distinguished road

Check out the Spot: The SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger provides a vital line of communication with friends and family when you want it, and emergency assistance when you need it. Using 100% satellite technology, SPOT works virtually anywhere in the world, even where cell phones donít Ė all with the push of a button. I would not sail offshore without mine.
Old 07-23-2013
jimbo

boknows is on a distinguished road

I thought it might be more safe to go in a group with several boats. Im up for a trip
TJC45 likes this.
Old 07-23-2013

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

We crossed this year (May through July) in our Catalina 27 with a 9.9 outboard auxillary. We learned a LOT. I would be happy to chat with you some more about what we found if you're interested.

Overall, the trip is entirely "do-able" in a 27'. However, there are some serious limitations. Understand those, and you're fine.

Most notably is the impact of the weather and winds. There were many many days where we simply could not get to where we wanted to go. 20knots+ and right on the nose. Sure, you can tack and get anywhere . . . but not able to make longer crossings (e.g., Little Harbor to Spanish Wells) in a reasonable timeframe with the headwinds. The bigger boats just drop the sails and motor with their inboard diesels.

We spent the whole time in the Abacos. We did NOT see any (not even ONE) cruiser on a boat as small as our 27' in all of the anchorages and harbors that we visited.

We had an AWESOME trip and adventures of a lifetime.

Sure, she was small and had limitations . . . but the bottom line: WE WERE IN THE BAHAMAS WITH HER!!! How bad can that be???

~markb
utchuckd, krisscross and TJC45 like this.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Old 07-23-2013
jimbo

boknows is on a distinguished road

Lol. I have the same attitude. My wife talked me out of doing on a hobie 16. She said something about meeting me there. I would love to talk with you about it. My number is 229-881-5090. Thanks
Old 07-23-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratzcpa View Post
We crossed this year (May through July) in our Catalina 27 with a 9.9 outboard auxillary. We learned a LOT. I would be happy to chat with you some more about what we found if you're interested.
I'm definitely interested. I am planning a similar trip in a small boat as well (25-30 feet), but not a Catalina 27, more like Cape Dory 25D.
Old 07-23-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Does size really matter? Hmm? Something goes wrong out there, how big is that life raft? Big enough to save your life!

Everytime someone says you need 30x or 40x feet minimum to be safe offshore every Flicka sailor in the world just rolls their eyes! Flicka's are 20 feet long and have a documented blue water pedigree.

The thing about these little boats is that they are built like brick outhouses. Not much is going to tear them to pieces. And therein is the point: It's not size that matters, but strength! The problem with coastal cruisers is that they are lightly built. They can't take days on end of pounding into big storm generated seas. The rig is the first to fail, if the hull deck joint doesn't go first. That's assuming the keel stays on. They are what they are. And what they are is plenty strong to sail to the Bahamas. If you have concerns, you can always pay to beef them up. Stronger rig, reinforced joints etc.

So, sailing to the Bahamas in a 27 footer IMO, not a problem. Just pick your weather and go for it!! Now wanna go for the BVI on a Hunter 25, we need to talk!

Last edited by TJC45; 07-23-2013 at 04:46 PM.