Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012

tspooner is on a distinguished road
Re: How much bottom paint?

Thanks to all the replies. Sounds like a couple of gallons will give me two coats with some left over if I remember to keep it where it won't freeze in the winter. I take it that salt water moorage grows more lettuce than fresh water? If one coat is good for one year is two coats good for two years? The local marine way told me that he hauled a similar sized sailboat last year that "folded" the keel and of course ended up with a lot of hull damage. He doesn't want to haul fin keeled sailboats anymore because of the liability. The closest sling haulout is a 7 hour sail away in favourable winds and of course will be quite pricey so I would hope that every second season of cleaning/painting would be adequate. Does this sound reasonable?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspooner View Post
Thanks to all the replies. Sounds like a couple of gallons will give me two coats with some left over if I remember to keep it where it won't freeze in the winter.
Don't try to save it - put on more coats along the waterline & leading edges, as previously noted, until it's used up. A partial can of bottom paint will almost certainly become useless before it can be used again.

Freshwater boats basically just get slimed, they don't grow flora & fauna like saltwater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-30-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Freshwater boats basically just get slimed, they don't grow flora & fauna like saltwater.
Except for those in the Great Lakes and connecting waters. We get zebra/quagga mussels gallore and several varieties of micro-algae.
SloopJonB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Remember to save a bit in the bottom of the can to quickly fill stand pad and keel block areas once in the slings!
If I don't move the supports one at a time, and paint these keel block areas while on land, how quickly does it take to dry if the boat is hanging from the slings?

I have mine stored in a yard full of boats, motorhomes, shipping containers and all sorts of flotsam. Come spring launch time it is busy. I cannot see the crane operator patiently waiting for me to paint 4 spots while he and the boat are left hanging...certainly he will not wait for free.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
If I don't move the supports one at a time, and paint these keel block areas while on land, how quickly does it take to dry if the boat is hanging from the slings?

I have mine stored in a yard full of boats, motorhomes, shipping containers and all sorts of flotsam. Come spring launch time it is busy. I cannot see the crane operator patiently waiting for me to paint 4 spots while he and the boat are left hanging...certainly he will not wait for free. Thanks
DON'T move your stands unless you have an extra in place beside them first, each time.

Boatyards deal with this on every boat they launch and the time is factored in. Bottom paint flash dries so it isn't a problem.

I like to have them lift me the last thing on Saturday and launch me on Tuesday (next business day) - that way the boat is hanging for two days and I can take my time about finishing up, doing the bottom of the keel properly, maybe a bit of wet sanding etc.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.