Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: plotting software

When you start adding up all the large and small scale charts you need to do any kind of cruising, the price gets enormous. C-Map wide area charts seem to be the best deal. Cruising the world, one could EASILY blow $5000-$10,000 on complete sets of Admiralty charts or some electronic charts which were derived, by the way, from free governmental rasters. I don't know why the Dept. of Defense does not open their very comprehensive files of worldwide rasters so all sailors always have access to charts for wherever they sail. Makes you wonder if they are REALLY worried about safety at all. This should be public information, not information secreted by some governments. It is not like copyrights to a book or music. The people who did the field work and those who drew the charts did it on the public's dime.

Last edited by smurphny; 04-28-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road

I think we were discussing specifically charts of UK. It costs less than $30 per user to get a complete UK & Ireland coverage of all available chart and scale levels.
Old 04-30-2012

Tonyhibbett is on a distinguished road

Where from?
Old 04-30-2012
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyhibbett View Post
Where from?
As I mentioned in an earlier post - Polar Navy, Polar Navy - Marine Navigation Software
Check ordering page for UK chart product. These are ENC charts (S57/S63) for use with PolarView. It is a complete set of all available UKHO ENC charts for waters of United Kingdom & Ireland. Sold for $29.99.

Visit My Harbor sells raster charts for the same area, I am not quite sure what the price is but I think it's something like 50GBP (Google it for details).

Last edited by brak; 04-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2012

Thanks. I have ordered it. Vector is my preferred format. Hope I don't get stung for VAT plus £8 to have it applied by the post office!
Old 04-30-2012
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Thanks. I have ordered it. Vector is my preferred format. Hope I don't get stung for VAT plus £8 to have it applied by the post office!
This is a sale from US, so there should be no VAT to pay - at least not that I know of (and none of those who already ordered said anything).

We sell them at cost (actually, for some world locations where shipping is more expensive, we can lose a couple of $$ but so far this was pretty rare, fortunately. It would be a shame to make these more expensive just to cover occasional contingency).
Old 04-30-2012

Last time I bought something from the US I got stung for VAT and £8 for the Post Office to apply the charge, as the value of the item was more than £18 and it was not a gift. So much for the 'special relationship.'
Old 04-30-2012
Sea Slacker

I think it's down to £15 now in UK.

Our disks have stated price of 0. Buyer is paying for information which he could, for all intents and purposes, download (in fact at some point that's how charts will be delivered, CDs are a temporary solution). CD is just a medium, its cost is incidental. So, in theory there should be no VAT on the disk, although it's impossible to tell what another country may be doing.

Quote:
Last time I bought something from the US I got stung for VAT and £8 for the Post Office to apply the charge, as the value of the item was more than £18 and it was not a gift. So much for the 'special relationship.'
Old 05-01-2012

You're right, down to £15 and VAT up to 20%, but if the value of the package is marked as zero, no problem. Thanks.