Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012
S/V Glenn E

Lubrdink is on a distinguished road
First Fixed Keel boat Launch

I sure would appreciate any tips on launching a fixed keel type boat. Our Newport 27 has a fixed keel and associated trailer with about a 25' extender tongue to get it far enough into the lake to float (a comment that certainly will tag me a newbie). We've had swing keel boats which of course launch easily by just backing in, floating the boat and pulling out the trailer.
My hesitation is in the fact that the ramp is pretty steep and by the time and I assume I'll have to unhitch the boat after placing chocks behind the wheels (yes, I'm planning to use the biggest chocks I can find and behind all four wheels) then pulling forward to attach the extender tongue before continuing the launch. I have visions of a quick launch, trailer and all, if the 4 tons of boat and trailer overcome the chocks. I can only hope my wife catches it all so she can post on Youtube!
Anyway, if anyone has some words of wisdom, I'm willing to take all ideas.
Thanks for any help and happy sailing this summer!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2012
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: First Fixed Keel boat Launch

Find out the depth of the ramp. since it's steep it must be deep close in. Be very very sure the vehicle has the power and 4WD to handle the weight. Someone here would know the formula of weight pulling at a certain angle. I don't I know it increases exponentially! At my YC they use a long strap and dolly with with wheels under the trailer yoke. This is with truck wheels not a toy dolly. they do this with 30ft boats routinely. including mine

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

If your feet are wet and you're still in the truck, then you probably shouldn't have reversed that far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

What the guys with fin keel capri's do is put a heavy duty wheel for a dolly on their trailer.

When they get to the ramp, they, attach winch straps to the trailer and the frame of the truck. When they chock their wheels, then unhitch. The straps keep the boat where it is (this requires a decent tongue weight, otherwise the angle of the ramp could slat the boat rearward on the trailer).

Then slowly unwinching the straps the boat goes into the water.

If the tongue extender really works with your ramp, then just use the straps to keep the boat from "rolling away."

Finally, you have a REALLY big truck right? How's this for overkill?

Can't find a picture of a strap launch, but enough people do it (J-24 comes to mind, as does Capri 25).

Tags
fixed keel , launch , newport