Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Key West to Bimini (Direct)?

May is my favorite month for sailing. Usually great winds except for the one front that comes through during the month.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Expect easterlies as posted earlier...a late cold front may be your friend if you ride the accompanying SW winds early ...but then the wind will go around the dial quickly from SW to W, NW,N, NE etc...Northerly winds of course not good when in the GS goin north (must be said I suppose)....a strong high pressure or Bermuda high offshore of JAX is common most times of year...if present, it can give you stiffer than normal easterlies I suppose .....T-storms are very common this time of year in SE Florida...and tropical disturbances like the one off Miami right now... and scattered short-lived localized storms that will often be quick and gone but they can develop quickly too...often they are dewpoint-triggered and in the mornings...and though brief they sometimes be quite strong. Would recommend NOAA marine forecasts from their website right up till you leave and also read the forecast discussion you can click on in a window down to the lower right...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
We crossed from Marathon to Bimini in a near windless period in the summer, about 20 years ago. As I recall it was about 115NM and we motorsailed the entire way. It took 15 hours in our '81 Hunter 30. We arrived in the daytime, as was stated before daytime is the ONLY time to make a Bimini landfall. At the time there were two un-lighted poles to line up as a range marker to cross the only opening in the barrier sandbar. Once through that cut, hug the shore side of the lagoon between the sandbar and the island.
These days, the entrance to Bimini is a piece of cake, the result of a considerable amount of recent dredging…

Thanks largely to the steady procession of kroozers like this one, passing thru on their way to the Exumas…

Old 04-30-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road

Well it looks like I'm going to have to add an inflatable waterslide to my list of cruising necessities now.
souljour2000 likes this.

I'm a sailor, I sail!
Old 04-30-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Ok, it would be easy to take pot shots about the giant stinkpot. But, if I was anchored nearby and one of the people on it zoomed by on their Seadoo and invited me to slide down that slide, they wouldn't have to ask twice.
Old 04-30-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Definitely enter Bimini during daylight. The entrance channel has been moved (blasted) and many charts and plotters wont have this new entrance correct. Bimini entrance can have strong current/rip if you hit the tides wrong.
If you arrive before daylight, & do decide not to enter the Bimini entrance cut until daylight ... you wont be able to anchor to wait off/south of South Bimini ... its now all scoured out and only has ~1" of coral sand over rock and marl and most 'charts' still show it as an 'anchorage' ... even the shallow drafters are now anchoring VERY close to the south end of S. Bimini.

Difficulty with KW direct to Bimini is the immense amount of commercials doing the almost exact same course, especially those bound for the EU will aim for West End in the Abacos .... and thats going to be on the exact same track you. This can make a night crossing from KW to Bimini 'interesting'.
Plan on Gun / N.Cat Cay as an alternative if you cant get to Bimini in daylight.

The 'usual' jump off from the southern keys to Bimini is Rodriguez Key

If you go further into the Bahamas from there, the only 'good' charts are the "explorer charts" or a (recent) Garmin Plotter with 'explorer charts' already uploaded.

Bimini is a great place, enjoy.

Last edited by RichH; 04-30-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Ok, it would be easy to take pot shots about the giant stinkpot. But, if I was anchored nearby and one of the people on it zoomed by on their Seadoo and invited me to slide down that slide, they wouldn't have to ask twice.
Twist my arm, and I might go party on that thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Definitely enter Bimini during daylight. The entrance channel has been moved (blasted) and many charts and plotters wont have this new entrance correct. Bimini entrance can have strong current/rip if you hit the tides wrong.
If you arrive before daylight, & do decide not to enter the Bimini entrance cut until daylight ... you wont be able to anchor to wait off/south of South Bimini ... its now all scoured out and only has ~1" of coral sand over rock and marl and most 'charts' still show it as an 'anchorage' ... even the shallow drafters are now anchoring VERY close to the south end of S. Bimini.

Difficulty with KW direct to Bimini is the immense amount of commercials doing the almost exact same course, especially those bound for the EU will aim for West End in the Abacos .... and thats going to be on the exact same track you. This can make a night crossing from KW to Bimini 'interesting'.
Plan on Gun / N.Cat Cay as an alternative if you cant get to Bimini in daylight.

If you go further into the Bahamas from there, the only 'good' charts are the "explorer charts" or a (recent) Garmin Plotter with 'explorer charts' already uploaded.

Awesome considerations, thanks for that. Commercial traffic is definitely a consideration, and one I'm hoping to mitigate with the AIS/Radar/watch schedule combo.

I'm a sailor, I sail!
Old 04-30-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

In addition to the Explorer Charts, two additional references you might want to check are Bahamas and Caribbean Information, Boating Books, Cruising Guides and ActiveCaptain.com

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-03-2012

Trailblazer is on a distinguished road

Our night crossing from Marathon involved a lot of commercial traffic. Watch out for Southwestbound ships to change to a more Westerly course near the South end of Key Largo. Your light watching and plotting suddenly gets interesting when the subject vessel makes a right turn right in front of you.
Old 05-03-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post

Completely agree with Rich and SV/Hylyte. I just spent the last summer there.

I would take the inside (ie, no stress) and potentially stop at Marathon. You can stop there at night. You can anchor off the west side of Marathon and stay protected (typically) that time of year. Also, food, fuel, ice, and lots of other stuff that is WAY cheaper than the Bahamas is there. THere is a cool liitle restaurant that I paid way too much money to that is on the second story over the gas dock just inside the cut... crap, can't remember the name. Ugh! Anyways, you canot miss it. As you go in, you will pass mangorves on the right and it is right there past the first canal on your left. You can sit up in the bar and watch the boats go by and have a few cld ones to get ready for your next leg.

You can also take the outside route to Marathon and come in near the light. I suggest staying to the west side and outside of the buoys.

There is actually a lot to check out in Boot Key harbor (marathon) I would not miss it if you have never been there. You could even go straight to Boot Key/Marathon, rent a car to drop off family (cheap taxi ride to airport), then have a more relaxing trip.

The run from Marathon to Rodriguez Key is very low stress. When you go to anchor on Rod Key, go all the way around the east side and give it some berth (I noticed some shoaling there on the east side summer 2011, fyi) and crep up behind the shoaling and the key. It has good holding and some protection from teh easterlies/seasterlies. Water depths never got below six for us. From there you can really plan your weather to jump across.

On a side note, as also mentioned above, we found a LOT of commercial traffic and they move fast heading south and west. Biggest eye opener was a cable laying ship. You cannot see that cable until you are close and would be poorly mistaken not to give that vessel a very wide berth off his stern. At night, it would have really been an eye-opener. I am sure there is some special lighting pattern for laying cable, but I don't have that memorized (though I have a cheat sheet). You might want to take one too.

On fishing, we had the best luck with a pink diver and a sppon that we put a green skirt on. I prefer the skirt/spoon method. Not because we caught more fish, but because it doesn't hurt the pocketbook as much when the little buggers pull it off my line!!

All the best. Take lots of pics and post them!!

Brian

Skin Diving in Marathon with kids...

Tied up at Marathon Marina (the place to stay IMHO)...

Any local Key's (esp Key West folks) want to guess who this singer is with my kiddos??

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.