Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Quiet your Honda 2000

good Idea hanging the Honda! I just wonder if the handle can handle the load and not get stressed out from hovering around the deck
jus sayn...

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
“No one minds the smell of their own farts”
Boy, ain't THAT the truth!
Old 04-30-2012
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough

Jon Eisburg said:
Quote:
Now, if we could only figure out a way to deaden the noise for everyone else within earshot of these things…

Portable generators on cruising boats – definitely a “No one minds the smell of their own farts” sort of deal… (grin, bigtime)
I don't know what you were hearing - the Honda is very quiet when heard from another boat. We had a guy rafted up to us here in Vero Beach mooring field, and when his ran we didn't even notice it. Maybe you heard one that was out of tune or a different brand? It's only the vibration when it is setting on the deck that transfers below which we find objectionable. Hoisting it off the deck solves that.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-30-2012

Tbrad is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Quiet your Honda 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I'll fight owning/carrying a generator tooth and nail. LED's, oil lamps, all the dry ice I can carry, and a couple of small solar panels. Whatever it takes.
What Bubblehead said!
Old 04-30-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Guys, don't confuse with CO2 and CO. Obviously, they are totally different animals.

Love Honda Generator, but I hate to carry gasoline on a boat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-17-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
Jon Eisburg said:

I don't know what you were hearing - the Honda is very quiet when heard from another boat. We had a guy rafted up to us here in Vero Beach mooring field, and when his ran we didn't even notice it. Maybe you heard one that was out of tune or a different brand? It's only the vibration when it is setting on the deck that transfers below which we find objectionable. Hoisting it off the deck solves that.
I have a Honda 1000 as a backup, and you're right, it IS very quiet... However, it is by no means silent (grin)... In a place like the Vero Beach mooring field, the noise of one nearby may not be objectionable or noticeable, as there is a considerable amount of ambient "white noise" about, being moored in close proximity to a bridge with a fair amount of traffic. etc... But on an absolutely still summer's evening in a place like The Basin on the coast of Maine, trust me - one of those generators can be heard from a long way off...

My original comments were more in jest than anything, I certainly don't intend to come across as some sort of generator Nazi... I've long ago accepted that many cruisers apparently require such a supplement to their electrical demands, and the majority out there are obviously trying to be courteous in their use of them... Still, it's disappointing to see their popularity ever increasing in a place like Maine, where the infestation invariably seems to have been brought there on visiting boats "from away"...

Back in January, I and many others had a stay in Ft. Lauderdale's Lake Sylvia spoiled by a Canadian cruiser who ran a generator on his aft deck virtually all day, and well into the night... It wasn't a Honda, but rather a larger 3000 W open style, like something you'd pick up from Harbor Freight... The racket that thing made was unbelievable, it was like being at a construction site. Frankly, I was amazed that none of the shoreside residents called the police. The guys lack of courtesy, or sense of where he was - given the tenuous state of anchoring rights in precisely such a location in Florida today - was appalling... The complaints from a number of others anchored registered not at all, he simply insisted he needed to be running the damn thing, and a bit of a spontaneous celebration erupted when he finally moved on one morning...

The worst smell-of-their-own-farts offenders, however, are those who fire up their engine or generator, then conveniently choose that time to jump in their dinghy to go ashore... Those people should just be shot... (grin)
Old 05-17-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, makes it easy to take out with my rifle when the fumes and noise start up

In this day and age I still wonder why folks need a generator. Between solar and wind power, you should not need a genset unless you insist on running the TV and AC. You also have the expense, possible mess and safety issues of carrying gasoline.

Unplug and enjoy a good book or even have a nice conversation.

We live at a dock that has free cable and we have a TV but still often just sit around and chat or work on a crossword or read.

My boat has an engine driven 5kw generator and we rarely use it. I can only think of one time we really needed it and that was for our reverse cycle heat when motoring on a very cold December day before the diesel furnace was installed.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-17-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

the only silent creation of energy comes from solar.
generators with engines have noise factors. honda and yamaha are the quietest generators i have ever heard, and cannot be heard at 80 ft, the distance between boats in sd moorings. i placed a palette under mine with a cut up flat fender inside it--works great on the vibratory sounds caused by machine on deck.
the sound of energy being created is a rather soothing sound, even from a generator with an engine.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-17-2012

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Speaking of noise

I've heard many of those forced air diesel furnace's like the wabasto and espar that make every bit as much noise as my little Honda 1000. And people run those things 24 hours a day.
Old 05-17-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Speaking of noise

I've heard many of those forced air diesel furnace's like the wabasto and espar that make every bit as much noise as my little Honda 1000. And people run those things 24 hours a day.
Just one of the reasons why I didn't install a Webastor or Espar. I installed a hydronic diesel furnace.

And mine only gets run late at night controlled by a thermostat. It is also only used when it is below 45° at night. In Maine that is when most anchorages are empty(Oct, Nov, Dec, Apr, May). I never run it if I think it may bother someone although it is very quiet. I could make it even quieter with a muffler but it runs so cleanly that it is not needed.
rikhall likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------