SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

when sailing makes you cry

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 ·
I put up a film of an old boat being sailed up an old river by and old bloke

it got one of the more surprising comments I have ever received

"The only other thing that comes to mind that make me choke up as much as these videos is maybe listening to the Chancel Choir boys singing in the cathedral. I have tears running down by cheeks as I try to type this. God bless."

this is the film

when does sailing make you cry

I confess that I have shed a few tears over the beast

Dylan

#3 ·
Nice video there, I think a lot of what causes those feelings is a combination of the environment we experience while being on the water and the music which is choosen for the videos. This combined with watching it all unfold in a video is like a really good movie for us. I have been told by others my sailing and kayaking videos seem to have this effect on them. Actually I find my kayaking videos are much the same or even more and have made me shed tears more then once. I once dedicated one of my solo sailing videos to my girlfriend and neither me nor her could watch it. It's like magic. Although when I am actually out sailing, I am relaxed and enjoying it and certainly will never shed a tear but it's the videos afterwards that have the effect.

@squidd haha good one and so true only I use my debit card so I feel the pain almost immediately :laugher

#4 ·
My dad had the Lugger down in my sig. He had lusted over that boat since the 1970's. Not too many are over here in the states as it's an open boat made in England.
In 2005, after thirty five years of dreaming of having one, he drove half way across the country to pick up his new to him Lugger.

The following years were met with various difficulties for him and in 2009, he started having a fever for reasons his doctor couldn't figure out. In 2010, a man I always knew as ten feet tall and bullet proof succumbed to cancer. He never had taken the Lugger out. Thirty five years of dreaming of her teak rails and classic lines, he never got to experience her.

About 8 months later, I sat on the back porch staring at this Lugger in my yard with her title in hand, now in my name. She was rough around the edges but I admired her lines. She needed a lot of sanding, her spars refinished, some canvas patched, some lines replaced.
I wasn't sure if I was going to keep her or sell her. I had come across the pamphlets Dad had collected and kept and learned he never took the helm of her. To hell with that, and I pushed myself up out of my chair.

I sanded and repaired her then worked with some people overseas through email to figure out her rigging. She was bright and gleaming, ready to go at a moment's notice.
I made sure the bottle of wine was onboard before I slipped her into the water for the first time. I shoved off and hoisted all three sails. The tanbark sails filled with a breeze and her bow sliced through the water.

With tears in my eyes, I toasted the heavens, "For you, Dad."

#6 ·
Dylan,

I don't recall any of your films making me cry but plenty of them have warmed this tired old cynical soul's heart.

One thing is for sure, should I ever be spending time in the UK a very shallow draft would be imperative so I could gunkhole around the isle.

cheers mate

Andrew B

ps - I've not noticed it before but that jib sheet arrangement is kind of weird. whats with all that hardware ? You could take an eye out with those blocks.

Reactions: dylanwinter1
#9 ·
Dylan,

I don't recall any of your films making me cry but plenty of them have warmed this tired old cynical soul's heart.

One thing is for sure, should I ever be spending time in the UK a very shallow draft would be imperative so I could gunkhole around the isle.

cheers mate

Andrew B

ps - I've not noticed it before but that jib sheet arrangement is kind of weird. whats with all that hardware ? You could take an eye out with those blocks.
no winches on the slug

two part purchase

easier on the hands

D

#13 ·
Dylan,
There is nothing intrinsically sad about that video. It is the music that might be construed as bitter sweet or melancholy.
It is really rather sweet the way you tacked yourself and your bilge keeler into that little creek. There is a lot to be said about little shallow draft boats that can do this kind of exploring. I have a little 14' center board boat I've done similar excursions with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.