when sailing makes you cry - SailNet Community
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-28-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dylanwinter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxford
Posts: 454
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
when sailing makes you cry

I put up a film of an old boat being sailed up an old river by and old bloke

it got one of the more surprising comments I have ever received

"The only other thing that comes to mind that make me choke up as much as these videos is maybe listening to the Chancel Choir boys singing in the cathedral. I have tears running down by cheeks as I try to type this. God bless."

this is the film


when does sailing make you cry

I confess that I have shed a few tears over the beast

Dylan
06HarleyUltra likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanwinter1 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 04-28-2012
Superior Sailor
 
Squidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eagle River Wi.
Posts: 978
Thanks: 6
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: when sailing makes you cry

When I get the charge card bill from West Marine..
arf145 likes this.

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
Squidd is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 22 Old 04-28-2012
Senior Member
 
sailguy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 306
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: when sailing makes you cry

Nice video there, I think a lot of what causes those feelings is a combination of the environment we experience while being on the water and the music which is choosen for the videos. This combined with watching it all unfold in a video is like a really good movie for us. I have been told by others my sailing and kayaking videos seem to have this effect on them. Actually I find my kayaking videos are much the same or even more and have made me shed tears more then once. I once dedicated one of my solo sailing videos to my girlfriend and neither me nor her could watch it. It's like magic. Although when I am actually out sailing, I am relaxed and enjoying it and certainly will never shed a tear but it's the videos afterwards that have the effect.

@squidd haha good one and so true only I use my debit card so I feel the pain almost immediately

Tim
s/v Pirates Lady
Hunter 33

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
sailguy40 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 22 Old 04-28-2012
Quirky
 
Sublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 592
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: when sailing makes you cry

My dad had the Lugger down in my sig. He had lusted over that boat since the 1970's. Not too many are over here in the states as it's an open boat made in England.
In 2005, after thirty five years of dreaming of having one, he drove half way across the country to pick up his new to him Lugger.

The following years were met with various difficulties for him and in 2009, he started having a fever for reasons his doctor couldn't figure out. In 2010, a man I always knew as ten feet tall and bullet proof succumbed to cancer. He never had taken the Lugger out. Thirty five years of dreaming of her teak rails and classic lines, he never got to experience her.

About 8 months later, I sat on the back porch staring at this Lugger in my yard with her title in hand, now in my name. She was rough around the edges but I admired her lines. She needed a lot of sanding, her spars refinished, some canvas patched, some lines replaced.
I wasn't sure if I was going to keep her or sell her. I had come across the pamphlets Dad had collected and kept and learned he never took the helm of her. To hell with that, and I pushed myself up out of my chair.

I sanded and repaired her then worked with some people overseas through email to figure out her rigging. She was bright and gleaming, ready to go at a moment's notice.
I made sure the bottle of wine was onboard before I slipped her into the water for the first time. I shoved off and hoisted all three sails. The tanbark sails filled with a breeze and her bow sliced through the water.

With tears in my eyes, I toasted the heavens, "For you, Dad."

This post is made from recycled electrons

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Sublime is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 22 Old 04-28-2012
Senior Member
 
rbrasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 577
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: when sailing makes you cry

This video makes me want to sail. Videos of my kids make me cry.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
rbrasi is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 22 Old 04-28-2012
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
tdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 16,609
Thanks: 15
Thanked 106 Times in 99 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: when sailing makes you cry

Dylan,

I don't recall any of your films making me cry but plenty of them have warmed this tired old cynical soul's heart.

One thing is for sure, should I ever be spending time in the UK a very shallow draft would be imperative so I could gunkhole around the isle.

cheers mate

Andrew B

ps - I've not noticed it before but that jib sheet arrangement is kind of weird. whats with all that hardware ? You could take an eye out with those blocks.
dylanwinter1 likes this.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
tdw is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 22 Old 04-28-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dylanwinter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxford
Posts: 454
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: when sailing makes you cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Nice video there, I think a lot of what causes those feelings is a combination of the environment we experience while being on the water and the music which is choosen for the videos. This combined with watching it all unfold in a video is like a really good movie for us. I have been told by others my sailing and kayaking videos seem to have this effect on them. Actually I find my kayaking videos are much the same or even more and have made me shed tears more then once. I once dedicated one of my solo sailing videos to my girlfriend and neither me nor her could watch it. It's like magic. Although when I am actually out sailing, I am relaxed and enjoying it and certainly will never shed a tear but it's the videos afterwards that have the effect.

@squidd haha good one and so true only I use my debit card so I feel the pain almost immediately

I had no idea it was at all common

and now we have two

the diesel sting from my bilges sometimes makes my eyes a bit weepy

D


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanwinter1 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 22 Old 04-28-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dylanwinter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxford
Posts: 454
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: when sailing makes you cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
My dad had the Lugger down in my sig. He had lusted over that boat since the 1970's. Not too many are over here in the states as it's an open boat made in England.
In 2005, after thirty five years of dreaming of having one, he drove half way across the country to pick up his new to him Lugger.

The following years were met with various difficulties for him and in 2009, he started having a fever for reasons his doctor couldn't figure out. In 2010, a man I always knew as ten feet tall and bullet proof succumbed to cancer. He never had taken the Lugger out. Thirty five years of dreaming of her teak rails and classic lines, he never got to experience her.

About 8 months later, I sat on the back porch staring at this Lugger in my yard with her title in hand, now in my name. She was rough around the edges but I admired her lines. She needed a lot of sanding, her spars refinished, some canvas patched, some lines replaced.
I wasn't sure if I was going to keep her or sell her. I had come across the pamphlets Dad had collected and kept and learned he never took the helm of her. To hell with that, and I pushed myself up out of my chair.

I sanded and repaired her then worked with some people overseas through email to figure out her rigging. She was bright and gleaming, ready to go at a moment's notice.
I made sure the bottle of wine was onboard before I slipped her into the water for the first time. I shoved off and hoisted all three sails. The tanbark sails filled with a breeze and her bow sliced through the water.

With tears in my eyes, I toasted the heavens, "For you, Dad."
I am a cynical old hack......

but that was a great bit of writing

well done... I was with you

D


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanwinter1 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 22 Old 04-28-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dylanwinter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxford
Posts: 454
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: when sailing makes you cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dylan,

I don't recall any of your films making me cry but plenty of them have warmed this tired old cynical soul's heart.

One thing is for sure, should I ever be spending time in the UK a very shallow draft would be imperative so I could gunkhole around the isle.

cheers mate

Andrew B

ps - I've not noticed it before but that jib sheet arrangement is kind of weird. whats with all that hardware ? You could take an eye out with those blocks.
no winches on the slug

two part purchase

easier on the hands

D


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanwinter1 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 22 Old 04-28-2012
Senior Member
 
floridajaxsailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
sunfish sacredness

Images of crossing the Chatham flats w my father who I have not seen in years
-JD
floridajaxsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
China regatta makes waves, no clear sailing yet NewsReader News Feeds 0 09-13-2011 01:50 PM
This has nothing to do with sailing, but it makes me sad to think of what I passed up jaschrumpf General Discussion (sailing related) 0 01-31-2009 06:55 PM
Sailing: Shelley makes sure start (Guardian Unlimited) NewsReader News Feeds 0 07-31-2006 09:17 PM
Australia. Royal Yacht Club of Victoria’s all girl Williamstown crew makes sailing history @ BYM Sailing News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-11-2006 09:15 AM
Sunday ferry makes first sailing (BBC News) NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-08-2006 08:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome