Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
when sailing makes you cry

I put up a film of an old boat being sailed up an old river by and old bloke

it got one of the more surprising comments I have ever received

"The only other thing that comes to mind that make me choke up as much as these videos is maybe listening to the Chancel Choir boys singing in the cathedral. I have tears running down by cheeks as I try to type this. God bless."

this is the film

when does sailing make you cry

I confess that I have shed a few tears over the beast

Dylan
06HarleyUltra likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Re: when sailing makes you cry

When I get the charge card bill from West Marine..
arf145 likes this.
Old 04-28-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

Nice video there, I think a lot of what causes those feelings is a combination of the environment we experience while being on the water and the music which is choosen for the videos. This combined with watching it all unfold in a video is like a really good movie for us. I have been told by others my sailing and kayaking videos seem to have this effect on them. Actually I find my kayaking videos are much the same or even more and have made me shed tears more then once. I once dedicated one of my solo sailing videos to my girlfriend and neither me nor her could watch it. It's like magic. Although when I am actually out sailing, I am relaxed and enjoying it and certainly will never shed a tear but it's the videos afterwards that have the effect.

@squidd haha good one and so true only I use my debit card so I feel the pain almost immediately

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 04-28-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

My dad had the Lugger down in my sig. He had lusted over that boat since the 1970's. Not too many are over here in the states as it's an open boat made in England.
In 2005, after thirty five years of dreaming of having one, he drove half way across the country to pick up his new to him Lugger.

The following years were met with various difficulties for him and in 2009, he started having a fever for reasons his doctor couldn't figure out. In 2010, a man I always knew as ten feet tall and bullet proof succumbed to cancer. He never had taken the Lugger out. Thirty five years of dreaming of her teak rails and classic lines, he never got to experience her.

About 8 months later, I sat on the back porch staring at this Lugger in my yard with her title in hand, now in my name. She was rough around the edges but I admired her lines. She needed a lot of sanding, her spars refinished, some canvas patched, some lines replaced.
I wasn't sure if I was going to keep her or sell her. I had come across the pamphlets Dad had collected and kept and learned he never took the helm of her. To hell with that, and I pushed myself up out of my chair.

I sanded and repaired her then worked with some people overseas through email to figure out her rigging. She was bright and gleaming, ready to go at a moment's notice.
I made sure the bottle of wine was onboard before I slipped her into the water for the first time. I shoved off and hoisted all three sails. The tanbark sails filled with a breeze and her bow sliced through the water.

With tears in my eyes, I toasted the heavens, "For you, Dad."

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 04-28-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

This video makes me want to sail. Videos of my kids make me cry.
Old 04-28-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Dylan,

I don't recall any of your films making me cry but plenty of them have warmed this tired old cynical soul's heart.

One thing is for sure, should I ever be spending time in the UK a very shallow draft would be imperative so I could gunkhole around the isle.

cheers mate

Andrew B

ps - I've not noticed it before but that jib sheet arrangement is kind of weird. whats with all that hardware ? You could take an eye out with those blocks.
dylanwinter1 likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Nice video there, I think a lot of what causes those feelings is a combination of the environment we experience while being on the water and the music which is choosen for the videos. This combined with watching it all unfold in a video is like a really good movie for us. I have been told by others my sailing and kayaking videos seem to have this effect on them. Actually I find my kayaking videos are much the same or even more and have made me shed tears more then once. I once dedicated one of my solo sailing videos to my girlfriend and neither me nor her could watch it. It's like magic. Although when I am actually out sailing, I am relaxed and enjoying it and certainly will never shed a tear but it's the videos afterwards that have the effect.

@squidd haha good one and so true only I use my debit card so I feel the pain almost immediately

I had no idea it was at all common

and now we have two

the diesel sting from my bilges sometimes makes my eyes a bit weepy

D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
My dad had the Lugger down in my sig. He had lusted over that boat since the 1970's. Not too many are over here in the states as it's an open boat made in England.
In 2005, after thirty five years of dreaming of having one, he drove half way across the country to pick up his new to him Lugger.

The following years were met with various difficulties for him and in 2009, he started having a fever for reasons his doctor couldn't figure out. In 2010, a man I always knew as ten feet tall and bullet proof succumbed to cancer. He never had taken the Lugger out. Thirty five years of dreaming of her teak rails and classic lines, he never got to experience her.

About 8 months later, I sat on the back porch staring at this Lugger in my yard with her title in hand, now in my name. She was rough around the edges but I admired her lines. She needed a lot of sanding, her spars refinished, some canvas patched, some lines replaced.
I wasn't sure if I was going to keep her or sell her. I had come across the pamphlets Dad had collected and kept and learned he never took the helm of her. To hell with that, and I pushed myself up out of my chair.

I sanded and repaired her then worked with some people overseas through email to figure out her rigging. She was bright and gleaming, ready to go at a moment's notice.
I made sure the bottle of wine was onboard before I slipped her into the water for the first time. I shoved off and hoisted all three sails. The tanbark sails filled with a breeze and her bow sliced through the water.

With tears in my eyes, I toasted the heavens, "For you, Dad."
I am a cynical old hack......

but that was a great bit of writing

well done... I was with you

D

Old 04-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dylan,

I don't recall any of your films making me cry but plenty of them have warmed this tired old cynical soul's heart.

One thing is for sure, should I ever be spending time in the UK a very shallow draft would be imperative so I could gunkhole around the isle.

cheers mate

Andrew B

ps - I've not noticed it before but that jib sheet arrangement is kind of weird. whats with all that hardware ? You could take an eye out with those blocks.
no winches on the slug

two part purchase

easier on the hands

D

Old 04-28-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
sunfish sacredness

Images of crossing the Chatham flats w my father who I have not seen in years
-JD