Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012

Fascadale is on a distinguished road
Charts and cruising guides, Canadian Maritimes

I'm in the early stages of planning a cruise in the Canadian Maritimes, Halifax to Battle Harbour perhaps, east or west about Newfoundland.

What are my options regarding charts? I am most familiar with British Admiralty charts, but are the Canadian ones more accurate and what about the US ones? Are there any independent chart publishers for that part of the world.

I have a chart plotter (x2) but I still like having the paper charts.

Are the Puffin Press CCA/RNSYS cruising guides the best available for the Maritimes? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Charts and cruising guides, Canadian Maritimes

It is several years since I have cruised there so my comments may be out of date. As far as I know, there are no privately published charts or chartbooks available - the demand is just too small. I would go with the Canadian charts. When I was there the CCA cruising guide was the only one available for Newfoundland (and pretty dated). There are alternatives for Nova Scotia. We had the CCA guide and one by Peter Loveridge and the latter was much better, but I don't know if it has been kept up.
Old 04-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Canadian charts from the CHS are the only way to go… They will represent a significant investment, but I wouldn’t cruise the Maritimes – especially Newfoundland/Labrador – without them… Reliance on e-charts alone up there can easily get you into trouble, what you see with your own lyin’ eyes…

Doesn’t always match where your plotter will be putting you…

The guides from the CCA/Puffin Press are excellent, but I’d highly recommend you supplement them with Cheryl Barr’s CRUISING GUIDE TO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES… She’s done a great job with that book…

Also, if you can find one, I’d recommend an out-of-print book called WHERE THE WIND BLOWS – A Guide to Canadian Maritime Weather…. A most excellent resource…

Good luck, you’re in for a treat… Doesn’t get much better than Atlantic Canada -especially The Rock - IMHO…

Not to mention, there's no need to bring guns with you... (grin)

Old 04-30-2012

Fantastic photographs. Inspiring. Any more of them?

Don't worry, Scotland's sailors don't need to carry guns on their boats.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Canadian charts from the CHS are the only way to go… They will represent a significant investment, but I wouldn’t cruise the Maritimes – especially Newfoundland/Labrador – without them… Reliance on e-charts alone up there can easily get you into trouble, what you see with your own lyin’ eyes…

Doesn’t always match where your plotter will be putting you…

The guides from the CCA/Puffin Press are excellent, but I’d highly recommend you supplement them with Cheryl Barr’s CRUISING GUIDE TO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES… She’s done a great job with that book…

Also, if you can find one, I’d recommend an out-of-print book called WHERE THE WIND BLOWS – A Guide to Canadian Maritime Weather…. A most excellent resource…

Good luck, you’re in for a treat… Doesn’t get much better than Atlantic Canada -especially The Rock - IMHO…

Not to mention, there's no need to bring guns with you... (grin)

I see your chartplotter is showing Grand Bruit ("Grand Brit" to the locals). A thoroughly delightful village. We have now sailed halfway around the world and only a few places are comparable to the south shore of Newfoundland. Note, I said comparable, not better. If the weather was a bit warmer it would be one of the world's great cruising grounds.
Old 04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I see your chartplotter is showing Grand Bruit ("Grand Brit" to the locals). A thoroughly delightful village. We have now sailed halfway around the world and only a few places are comparable to the south shore of Newfoundland. Note, I said comparable, not better. If the weather was a bit warmer it would be one of the world's great cruising grounds.
How is the weather in the Maritimes in June, July and August?

I'm hoping its going to be fairly similar to the West Coast of Scotland/Shetlands, temperate, cool and wet. The Shetlands are up to 60deg N: Halifax NS is about 44deg N and Battle Harbour 52 deg N. We do not have the Labrador current shoving cold water southwards, rather we are on the receiving end of warm wet air from the ocean.

"........only a few places are comparable to the south shore of Newfoundland. Note, I said comparable, not better"

Have you been to the West Coast of Scotland?

Old 04-30-2012

cdhickey is on a distinguished road

The CCA Cruising Guide to Newfoundland was last updated in 2009, but is still fairly useful. I would definitely pick up the CHS charts to have on hand, as e-chart coverage is not always the most reliable. They are readily available online from a few of the chandleries.

You will likely find the weather in Newfoundland in early summer to be comparable to Scotland, though a bit cooler, wetter and foggier. Of course, Newfoundland is a big island and weather can vary significantly in different parts. As you go east, things get less and less predictable.

If you want any local expertise on parts of Newfoundland, especially the south coast and north/east costs be sure to let me know. I don't have much experience on the water side of those places yet, but there are those in our club who would be happy to help you out.

Just a friendly note to avoid confusion- the Canadian Maritimes properly refers to Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick, but not Newfoundland and Labrador. Atlantic Canada refers to all four provinces. Some guides and resources use the terms interchangeably, others do not.
Old 04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhickey View Post
Just a friendly note to avoid confusion- the Canadian Maritimes properly refers to Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick, but not Newfoundland and Labrador. Atlantic Canada refers to all four provinces. Some guides and resources use the terms interchangeably, others do not.
Thanks for that.

And thanks for the offer of local expertise. I may well take you up on that come the time.......next year.

Which yacht club?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.