Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Respect in Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
As an example of that and to use Jones' word "tardfest", it would quite frankly probably pass by without comment in Off Topic but it is inappropriate in the sailing forums. If we tried to keep this in mind we really would avoid upsetting other's sensibilities.
oh, cripes, how come I always have to be the cautionary whale?
I apologized. Idiotfest is now the de riguer terminology.
Let's all let it go...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I must confess that I do find it amusing the manner in which a genuine complaint by someone like Chef turns into a "you talking to me" moment. Crikey even I had a think at the "smug hyperposter" remark but the first person who came to mind was in fact someone no longer with us on the forum.
Chef started this thread in response to my request in the LSC thread that he give me a link for where I'd "personally attacked" someone as he seemed to imply:

Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy

(His reply two posts down from mine.)

Thus far, there's been no link. Because what he said wasn't accurate...again.

So, Chef can certainly correct me if I'm wrong - but it seems pretty clear that I'm the "other smug hyperposter" and "mindless internet denizen" to which he refers.

Again, I don't give a damn...other than being unwilling to let anyone get by with a double-standard and/or accusing me of stuff that didn't happen.

I'll always respect people who deserve respect. I'll even respect people who I've gone a few rounds with in the past - if they keep it civil and non-whiney. I don't really hold grudges (okay, maybe 1).

So - I'm headed back to the sailing talk. Chef has some thinking to do. And these kinds of threads are boring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-29-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
For me, Sailnet is much more civil than it used to be. I stayed away for months at a time. I would be chopped up after I made a simple discription. I started using private messages to avoid this....I came back after ......> Also, amen to this; "but the first person who came to mind was in fact someone no longer with us on the forum. What I am getting at there is what some of us find entertaining others find cheap and tawdry, where some see a fine instructor others see a pompous blowhard."
I do want to be very clear .... I was not having a go at the guy. I was merely saying that in some folk's minds he was one fabulous resource and in others he was pompous. Perceptions brought on by his on line persona.
sawingknots likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-29-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Chef started this thread in response to my request in the LSC thread that he give me a link for where I'd "personally attacked" someone as he seemed to imply:

Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy

(His reply two posts down from mine.)

Thus far, there's been no link. Because what he said wasn't accurate...again.

So, Chef can certainly correct me if I'm wrong - but it seems pretty clear that I'm the "other smug hyperposter" and "mindless internet denizen" to which he refers.

Again, I don't give a damn...other than being unwilling to let anyone get by with a double-standard and/or accusing me of stuff that didn't happen.

I'll always respect people who deserve respect. I'll even respect people who I've gone a few rounds with in the past - if they keep it civil and non-whiney. I don't really hold grudges (okay, maybe 1).

So - I'm headed back to the sailing talk. Chef has some thinking to do. And these kinds of threads are boring.
Snappy,

What Ned Flanders said and...

Maybe it is time for a Bikini waxing or some other entertainment? Margaritas from the blender under the mirrored ball in your yacht perhaps?

I don't think you are doing yourself any favours by being so thin skinned yourself, but I got no dog in this fight.

I have met you in person and I liked you but sometimes your on-line persona can be, well, a bit abrasive. You would do well to remember that old expression: "Silence is golden". That may not make sense from a marketing perspective but from a human perspective it makes a lot of sense.

It is your online persona so you will sail her as you choose Scrappy. Have at 'cause I don't even know what all the flack is about.

What the fach? (My niece is an opera singer).
smackdaddy likes this.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-30-2012

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I understand TDW, you are very diplomatic. I actually stayed off sailnet for years because of the insults. But, everthing is beautiful and everyone is wonderful, and "nothing is good or bad, only thinking makes it so". Shakespeare quote. Spin zone.
Old 04-30-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes, I understand TDW, you are very diplomatic. I actually stayed off sailnet for years because of the insults. But, everthing is beautiful and everyone is wonderful, and "nothing is good or bad, only thinking makes it so". Shakespeare quote. Spin zone.
Welcome back Sid. It's good to have you here.

Old 04-30-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I finally remembered the other forum....trashtalk.com........you will need a VERY VERYVERY VERY.....VERY thick skin.....not sure how many "VERY" before thick skin I need to put.....but you all would get the point if you looked there!

In the mean time, lets skip the rum, prefer brewski's over rum...altho tequila is always a good thing.............

marty
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 04-30-2012

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Thank You, I sent your avatar, pic to a few friends cause I thought it is cool.
Like Rodney King said, "can't we all just get along"
Old 04-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Problem with a lot of this type of brouhaha is too many of us fail to observe the distinction twixt on and off topic. As an example of that and to use Jones' word "tardfest", it would quite frankly probably pass by without comment in Off Topic but it is inappropriate in the sailing forums. If we tried to keep this in mind we really would avoid upsetting other's sensibilities.

It's not just a matter of the words themselves, rather it is that those who don't venture into the sewer do so for very good reasons and part of those reasons is to avoid the intemperate language that is part and parcel of our little corner of hell.
TD is spot on IMHO - the cranky, nasty, witty, absurd, condescending, angry and/or merely intemperate has it's place - OFF TOPIC - AKA The Sewer.
sawingknots likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-30-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Thank You, I sent your avatar, pic to a few friends cause I thought it is cool.
Like Rodney King said, "can't we all just get along"
Yeah...as long as we don't have too much respect for each other...you bastards! We're sailors for crying out loud...you bastards! There are already plenty of knitting circles out there to join, SN doesn't need to be another...you bastards!
Captainmeme likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-30-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.