Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Respect in Posting

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
I am in full agreement with Maine. Absolutely utterly offensive. If the moderators allow offensive remarks such as this and personal attacks by this poster and the other smug megaposter and dont reign this stuff in, I will soon be joing the ranks of our former collegue Saildog and turn away from postimg on this forum. I am a big supporter of Sailnet in our area, but these mindless internet denizens who take great sport in making fun of others who post are getting old.

Its funny the moderators never post like this an are encouraging as well as respectfull of others comments, even when they disagree. It is not just what you say in life...its how you say it.
Respect is becomming a thing of the past in Sailnet forums. Just saying
Quote:
BTW - do you want me to come up with a nickname for you?-Smackdaddy
I dont have to search far a wide to find what I was talking about. You gave me one right away. This is an example. Think about it. You werent coming up with a nickname for me to flatter me....but to make fun of me. Maybe that gives you great pleasure to riducule others in public. Maybe that make you feel like a better sailor. Maybe you "need" to do it to make yourself feel superior. I dont have the time to analyze your actions...nor do I want to waste my time. MY OPINION and thats all it is, is that behavior like this does not help entice others to post here or make Sailnet a place a newperson would want to join.

Feel free to criticise my respect to others in my posts. Also remember when you do that I help organize meetings and get togethers of other Sailnetters here in the Chesapeake and have met many many posters in person. See, I dont hide behind my internet screen, I am fully engaged.

I try not to offend others ( I am not always successful and feel badly if I do), I do not feel I am an expert in sailing even with over 40 years experience racing and offshore sailing. I am only an "expert" in the culinary and restaurant field. Other opinions count and are important.

My statement concerning respect in the other post is what I feel is starting to happen in Sailnet, and I am not happy with the direction it is taking. To turn it into a referendum about my posts is nothing but a tactic of deflection. Talking about the community policing itself isnt the point here. Policeing yourselves is. Before I post here I always say to myself......would I say this in person face to face to the issue I am addressing or talking about. If not...I dont post it. Ridiculing a person for what they beleive in, their lack of experience in sailing, is NEVER a sign of respect in my book.

Please show respect in your postings..we want others to join...not people walk away.

Just saying.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-29-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Respect in Posting

I apologized. If that is not good enough for you, feel free to post me off the island.
BTW, if you have a problem with me, sailor up and address me directly- that would be the respectful adult thing to do. I'm a big boy- I have no problem defending myself, taking my lumps, and apologizing when warranted.

BTW, in regards to the name calling and respect issue- how come no one gets their garter belt in a knot when words like "genius" are used but get truly torqued when they are called an idiot for saying something idiotic, and start braying about name-calling?
You can't have it both ways. If you are okay with being called a genius, you better be okay with being called an idiot.

I apologized for an offensive word I used, a word that in the future, will be replaced with the word "idiotfest."

C2S, notice I have not gotten all cranky and indignant about the names that you called me- "smug megaposter," "mindless interent denizen." Careful with that name calling stuff- it makes you look a lot like me.

BTW, do you really want to play the blackmail card- unless posters like me get reined in you're gonna take your support and IRL organization away from Sailnet?

Last edited by bljones; 04-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

BLJones

Quote:
C2S, notice I have not gotten all cranky and indignant about the names that you called me- "smug megaposter," "mindless interent denizen." Careful with that name calling stuff- it makes you look a lot like me.
Did not refer to you

Quote:
I apologized for an offensive word I used, a word that in the future, will be replaced with the word "idiotfest
I agree..thank you

I started this thread to try and make some (including me) look at how the posts and words we use affect others who come to this site. If it detracts and we want to encourage others to join and participate then we should moderate how we say things to each other. Simple concept

If I am violating this...send me a pm, I will change. The object here is to ENCOURAGE participation not discourage it.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I dont have to search far a wide to find what I was talking about. You gave me one right away. This is an example. Think about it. You werent coming up with a nickname for me to flatter me....but to make fun of me. Maybe that gives you great pleasure to riducule others in public. Maybe that make you feel like a better sailor. Maybe you "need" to do it to make yourself feel superior.
Chef,

This thread, its title, your indignation, and your post are the perfect illustration of the problem. Look at the example from me that you quoted regarding the nickname. Do you still really not know why I asked you that question? It was because of this:

Quote:
If the moderators allow offensive remarks such as this and personal attacks by this poster and the other smug megaposter and dont reign this stuff in...but these mindless internet denizens who take great sport in making fun of others who post are getting old.
Now, take a deep breath and think this through. And I'd really like you to answer these questions.

Am I the "other smug megaposter"? Am I one of the "mindless internet denizens"? Who are you giving these derogatory nicknames to?

Is calling someone smug and mindless a show of the respect you demand? Isn't something like this "personal" and somewhat "attacky"?

The real issue is, you seem to have a double standard here.

Quote:
MY OPINION and thats all it is, is that behavior like this does not help entice others to post here or make Sailnet a place a newperson would want to join.
You're right. Double standards make a place pretty miserable.

Quote:
Feel free to criticise my respect to others in my posts. Also remember when you do that I help organize meetings and get togethers of other Sailnetters here in the Chesapeake and have met many many posters in person. See, I dont hide behind my internet screen, I am fully engaged.

I try not to offend others ( I am not always successful and feel badly if I do), I do not feel I am an expert in sailing even with over 40 years experience racing and offshore sailing. I am only an "expert" in the culinary and restaurant field. Other opinions count and are important.
A couple more questions...are you saying I "hide behind my internet screen"? Are you saying I'm the one not "fully engaged" even though I had been involved the conversation on the tragedy both here and at SA long before you came into the thread and insisted we start yet another for your own reasons? Again, I'm trying to figure out if these "offensive" little missiles of yours are directed at me.

And remember, trotting out a resume of how many SNers you know, or how many meetings you organize, or how many years you've sailed, or whatever doesn't give you, me, or anyone else the right to practice a double standard in a forum.

Quote:
My statement concerning respect in the other post is what I feel is starting to happen in Sailnet, and I am not happy with the direction it is taking. To turn it into a referendum about my posts is nothing but a tactic of deflection.

Please show respect in your postings..we want others to join...not people walk away.
I don't know if you've noticed, but SN has actually been WAY calmer over the past couple of years than it was in the past. More importantly, it's grown substantially in traffic and reach over that time. AND, OT threads have tanked in favor of sailing threads.

Is this the direction you're not happy with?

Quote:
Talking about the community policing itself isnt the point here. Policeing yourselves is. Before I post here I always say to myself......would I say this in person face to face to the issue I am addressing or talking about. If not...I dont post it. Ridiculing a person for what they beleive in, their lack of experience in sailing, is NEVER a sign of respect in my book.
So we, the "smug megaposters" and "mindless internet denizens" need to police ourselves...but you don't?

As I said, respect goes both ways, Chef. Think about that.

(PS - You've still not shown me where I've "personally attacked" you or anyone else.)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-29-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Then there are some that find this place pretty mild as compared to the other place you are talking about going! LEft there, have not looked back.

So reality is, many of the different sailing forums have a general how they operate. SA is a bit on the wild side, anything goes, if you post or look there, expect it. AS is not as wild, SA has usually be less so, except in the off topic, which frankly, does not have a place in a forum like this. If you want that, there is one, that is related to another forum I look and moderate at. I'll ry to remember it, but it is wilder and more name calling etc that ANY forum I have looked at.

Along with, better to take this bs to pm's frankly! now where is my delete buttom.....oh yeah, do not have one.

marty
chef2sail and messer999 like this.
Old 04-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

This discussion board seems to be considerably more civil and informative than other boards. I view it as a place to obtain answers and offer information to others, sometimes consciously interjecting controversial ideas to see what other people think. On the whole, it's very useful AND entertaining. Some people with insecure personalities just need to turn all useful discussion into some sort of personal rivalry by poking others with a sharp stick. This destroys the actual discussion, often digressing into personal attack and useless name-calling. Just put 'em on IGNORE.
Old 04-29-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

What is off putting, is that there are some who seem unable to post, without taking a swipe at someone. Almost as if their posts are incomplete without some form of ridicule or denigration. And though I have no problem ignoring it, it's not quite so easy for new comers, who are unfamiliar with the site and posters here, or those who find much of interest in life without ridiculing others.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-29-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

okley dokly .... hmm is that how you spell okley dokly ? ... but I digress ...

Problem with a lot of this type of brouhaha is too many of us fail to observe the distinction twixt on and off topic. As an example of that and to use Jones' word "tardfest", it would quite frankly probably pass by without comment in Off Topic but it is inappropriate in the sailing forums. If we tried to keep this in mind we really would avoid upsetting other's sensibilities.

It's not just a matter of the words themselves, rather it is that those who don't venture into the sewer do so for very good reasons and part of those reasons is to avoid the intemperate language that is part and parcel of our little corner of hell.

I must confess that I do find it amusing the manner in which a genuine complaint by someone like Chef turns into a "you talking to me" moment. Crikey even I had a think at the "smug hyperposter" remark but the first person who came to mind was in fact someone no longer with us on the forum. What I am getting at there is what some of us find entertaining others find cheap and tawdry, where some see a fine instructor others see a pompous blowhard.

It is the way of the world but as far as SailNet is concerned please, try and keep the distinction twixt the bowels of hell and the realms of enlightenment somewhat less blurred. Hell, even I sometimes find myself frustrated at having to self censor when the way I might express myself in my own world would undoubtedly be construed as vulgar here. The pluses for me however outweigh the minuses when it comes to SailNet and when I feel the need to let of a bit of steam, if that is my want, then its off to the sewer for me.

Cheers all

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-29-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I've got an idea.....let's talk about sailing! And rum, and leaky portlights, fickle breezes, the Bahamas and the Sea of Cortes. I prefer to focus on the good parts of sailnet, and there are lots of good things here......

Now about that rum......
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 04-29-2012

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

For me, Sailnet is much more civil than it used to be. I stayed away for months at a time. I would be chopped up after I made a simple discription. I started using private messages to avoid this....I came back after ......> Also, amen to this; "but the first person who came to mind was in fact someone no longer with us on the forum. What I am getting at there is what some of us find entertaining others find cheap and tawdry, where some see a fine instructor others see a pompous blowhard."
Closed Thread