3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico. - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 104 Old 06-16-2012

Re: 3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.

You'd be surprised how nasty that side of the island is. I've posted a photo of it before

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 104 Old 06-16-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

There are still too many unknowns to make any conclusions. Until some definitive physical evidence is uncovered, this is still a mystery. Thus far, everything is supposition and although it seems logical that the boat simply ran into the island, there are a number of different possibilities.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #103 of 104 Old 06-16-2012

Well..we know it wasnt run over by a ship and the tracking device magically keep powering itself into north Coronado...drug-smugglers? What scenario would make sense there either? I agree it's hard to believe that a moderate pacific ocean wave set could grind her up like that quickly but...hopefully the NTSB is spending 1000's of man hours on this and re-constructing the boat pieces in some hangar in San Diego and running scale model hydro-dynamics testing in a tank in Bethesda so we can rule out Piratical alien drug-smugglers and/ or bomb-toting dolphins...The Chinese Navy...etc...etc...Sometimes bad things happen...the ocean at night is sometimes a strange place...I just hope the families can have peace soon...without too much more speculation on this tragedy..
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.
post #104 of 104 Old 06-16-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

the coronados are cliffs and rocks and nothing else except for some goats, and they wont tell. there is a southerly drift current as well as the speed at which the boat crashed into rocks. if all the crew nd skipper were sleeping, then yes, a crash is inevitable, with the direction and waypoint they seemed to have been using.
the islands are visible for many miles in daylight. is hard to truly believe that someone allegedly experienced in sailing kali and mexicoasts would actually make this error.
is very very sad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.