3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico. - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.

If the boat was motoring at 5 knots in light winds, how could the exhaust be blowing forward onto the deck?

If the wind was sufficient to blow the exhaust back onto the deck, why were they motoring?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITBeta View Post
If the boat was motoring at 5 knots in light winds, how could the exhaust be blowing forward onto the deck?

If the wind was sufficient to blow the exhaust back onto the deck, why were they motoring?
I think the CO theory refers to INSIDE the cabin as it was night and most of the crew was sleeping possibly. Though, as has been mentioned, there has not been any report of the bodies showing any CO poisoning as of yet.

We may never know the true cause of this.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...after responding to reports of small pieces of debris by a passing boater, the U.S. Coast Guard found the bodies of three of the Aegean sailors floating in a roughly 2-mile-wide debris field southwest of North Coronado island, about 15 miles south of San Diego.

Kevin Eric Rudolph, 53, of Manhattan Beach, died of blunt-force trauma to the head and neck, according to the San Diego County Coroner; Joseph Lester Stewart, 64, of Florida, died of blunt-force head injuries, and William Reed Johnson, 57, of Torrance, succumbed to multiple blunt-force injuries, according to the coroner.

A search for the body of skipper Theo Mavromatis, 49, of Redondo Beach, was called off Sunday after 28 hours.
Why no mention of an EPIRP signal being activated.
Quote:
DEAD WINDS

Brewer was aboard the 40-foot Heartbeat during the famed race, but about 22 miles further out to sea than the Aegean around the time its last transmission was sent out.

"The winds were absolutely dead," he said, making it likely the Aegean used its motor --- allowed for boats racing in its class.

Brewer described choppy swells of 4-6 feet, and fairly clear skies with visibility of about five miles.

"It wasn't a purely dark night," he said. "At times we could see the moon. At times the moon was partially hidden in haze."

Brewer said that between 11:30 p.m. and 3 a.m., the Heartbeat passed two cruise ships and several freighters.

"There were so many sailboats out there, and they (large freighers) did a very good job of dodging us all night long," he said. "They maneuvered out of the way."

Brewer said he and his sailing buddies believe the most likely scenario is the Aegean slammed into North Coronado island.

"On a dark night, you don't even see it at all. I've gotten so close that I could hear the surf and still not see it. Then I'd get out of the way -- quickly."
Mystery of fatal yacht race accident continues | aegean, brewer - News - The Orange County Register

It certainly seems more likely the skipper was at the helm and either fell overboard or fell asleep, with the boat on autopilot. Once the boat hit the rocks, the rest of the crew would have been between 4-6 foot waves and a rocky shore.
Old 05-05-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
It certainly seems more likely the skipper was at the helm and either fell overboard or fell asleep, with the boat on autopilot. Once the boat hit the rocks, the rest of the crew would have been between 4-6 foot waves and a rocky shore.
Agreed. Since the skipper is the one still missing it seems like this tragic accident could go unsolved. I've thought all along the most likely scenario - especially when combined with the GPS data - is the skipper fell overboard, maybe had a heartattack, and the crew continued sleeping through his watch.

Doesn't really explain why their GPS went until 4 am and the race lost their signal at 1 - which I think I read somewhere, but as we all know, equipment sometimes malfunctions...
Old 05-05-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

1-how , in the face of racing and adrenaline rush effect, can anyone sleep during a racing event.
2-spot trackers are not accurate on the money measures of exact location. mine shows me 100 yards off where i am presently located. gps does same thing. spot showed me sailing THRU cedros island. i only stopped in cedros island villoage for 4 days, yet my spot showed me sailing THROUGH the island. real accurate--
3-they were NOT in shipping lane when gone. shipping lane goes way to outside coronado norte.
4-was not a whale
5-was not an alien invasion
6-where is the man who was at the helm--is only one not found. will he be found sometime with pants around ankles and zipper down...
7-was advised the time in area was 2048, not 0130. EASILY able to see coronados from 20 miles away.
so--WHERE WAS EVERYONE??? were they playing video games and hovering over some screen somewhere instead of being in cockpit LOOKING for the stuff to be concerned about when sailing a lee shore filled with dangerous rocks and visible islands????? reminds me of some kind of alien invasion--very very mysterious.....
what happened and why werent the souls inside the boat WATCHING for trouble, which occurs on west coast ??????
very mysterious. i hope someday this is cleared up and straightened out so it doesnt happen again.
the man who was owner or skipper or whatevr, was in newport ensenada race and did well a coupla few times before--did he become complacent with prior victories so that he let down his guard and left the sloop to sail or motor into trouble??????
enquiring mineds want to know....there is way too much weirdness with this bunch of scenarios.

they were using gmt/utc time--means not 0130 but 2030..is still with visibility. los coronados are VERY visible at that hour, as well as all day long. how is it that no one on board saw any sign of a big island in their way??????????

no pn pan or mayday call is more important to note than the automatic epirb --no call no signal--alien invasion is sounding much more plausible daily.....noone in fleet , even alleged witness to alleged collision couldl make a call to uscg???? they do answer to coronados, as does mexican navy. channel 16 WORKS. why not used.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 05-05-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2012

Sailboat Mary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
was advised the time in area was 2048, not 0130. EASILY able to see coronados from 20 miles away. ...
It was 1:30 a.m. PDT.
Old 05-05-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
2-spot trackers are not accurate on the money measures of exact location. mine shows me 100 yards off where i am presently located. gps does same thing. spot showed me sailing THRU cedros island. i only stopped in cedros island villoage for 4 days, yet my spot showed me sailing THROUGH the island.
You need to take a look at your DATUM setting in the setup page and make sure it agrees with the chart that is being used. Also, the tracks are recorded at some time interval and do not represent continuous minute by minute records. I get the same phenomena when I look back at my tracks and they have me traversing land to get to my slip, yet the real time location always shows me to be sailing in water (whew).

GPS is very accurate when accurately used. I don't know about SPOT.
John
Old 05-05-2012

BigDawgz is on a distinguished road

I ASSUME, that since the Skipper ( possibly the owner ) is the only person that is missing, foul play has not been ruled out. I mean, movies are made of these scenarios.

As far as the boat breaking up on the rocks, and comparing it to the accident up north a couple of weeks ago, anything is possible. The boat up north wasn't torn apart, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Different entry points at different locations could have vastly different results.
Old 05-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

My GPS is very accurate, within 100' MOST of the time but I have noticed, on occasion that it can be off by a considerable distance. Maybe land echoes, atmospheric conditions, etc?? I have only noticed it close to land. Once, it showed me on a road alongside the Cape Cod Canal. The Spot track, though, shows the track as being straight for a long time so GPS error is probably not a factor. Things just do not add up. That Spot device got to the island. Whether it was before, after, or during the disappearance of the boat is a question. The timeline is the unknown and evokes all sorts of possibilities. "Blunt force" injuries to the head??? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by smurphny; 05-06-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: more
Old 05-07-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road

Could be 4th body found. No confirmation yet.

Link

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25