SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86811-3-dead-sailing-yacht-crash-race-newport-california-mexico.html)

chef2sail 04-29-2012 02:11 PM

3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.

Another tragedy

Aegean Yacht Crash Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Missing

NewportNewbie 04-29-2012 02:14 PM

re: 3 Dead in Sailing Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.

I was just going to post this....I watched the boats leave on Friday from Newport Beach. Wow....RIP to those lost and condolences to the families. Not a very good start to the racing season...I was just telling my wife that I was going to enter next year....

More info here...

http://newportbeach.patch.com/articl...#photo-9757111

Speculation is that a MUCH larger ship hit it.

smurphny 04-29-2012 02:32 PM

The investigation on this one should be informative. Why were they in a shipping lane? Did a large ship run them down and why? AIS, Radar, reflectors on both ships? Having been almost run down by a foreign flagged tanker last year on a clear day, not in a shipping lane with miles of open space for this ship to overtake me with all the clearance in the world, I have little respect now for the seamanship of commercial vessels. I hope, for the families of these folks that this is thoroughly investigated and resolved. RIP.

zeehag 04-29-2012 02:38 PM

lectroniclatitude 38----
SPECIAL REPORT: Fatalities in Newport-Ensenada Race

April 29, 2012 – Coronado Islands, Mexico

(Click on the photo to enlarge it.)
The Newport to Ensenada Race, which started on Friday, has reported that three sailors are dead and one is missing. 2012 Lexus Newport-Ensenada Race

For the last two weeks, the California sailing community has been reeling over the loss of five of our own, and yesterday we lost at least three, but probably four, more. Rich Roberts, press officer for the 65th Annual Lexus Newport to Ensenada Race, reported late last night that the Hunter 376 Aegean apparently collided with a large vessel off the Coronado Islands.

"The first indication of the incident was at 1:30 a.m. Saturday when the boat's image vanished from the online race tracking system in place for the race," Roberts wrote in a press release. "A Coast Guard search was launched that led to discovery of the boat's wreckage, including the rear transom with the boat's name on it.

"An investigation was continuing, but it appeared the damage was not inflicted by an explosion but by a collision with a ship much larger than the 37-foot vessel."

A USCG helicopter directed a Vessel Assist boat to two bodies and a third was later retrieved. A fourth is still missing. The search for the fourth crewmember has resumed this morning. Names have not been released pending notification of the victims' families.

The annual race, which had 213 entries, started on Friday off Newport Beach. Many boats finished on Saturday, while the rest were expected in today. Roberts reports the weather conditions were lighter than usual in the area of the accident, with boats reporting 1-2 knots of wind.

"These would be the first fatalities in the 65-year history of the race," Roberts said.

We'll have more in tomorrow's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude.

NewportNewbie 04-29-2012 02:58 PM

3 Sead in Saling Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.

1. The race goes through shipping lanes. It seems in socal going up or down the coast will always cross shipping lanes

A sailing buddy that has done this race and route many times thought it could be a foreign freighter that didn't have proper lights. They were near the border when this happened.

zeehag 04-29-2012 03:06 PM

SPECIAL REPORT: Fatalities in Newport-Ensenada Race

April 29, 2012 – Coronado Islands, Mexico

(Click on the photo to enlarge it.)
The Newport to Ensenada Race started on Friday. 2012 Lexus Newport-Ensenada Race

For the last two weeks, the California sailing community has been reeling over the loss of five of our own, and yesterday we lost at least three, but probably four, more. Rich Roberts, press officer for the 65th Annual Lexus Newport to Ensenada Race, reported late last night that the Hunter 376 Aegean apparently collided with a large vessel off the Coronado Islands.

"The first indication of the incident was at 1:30 a.m. Saturday when the boat's image vanished from the online race tracking system in place for the race," Roberts wrote in a press release. "A Coast Guard search was launched that led to discovery of the boat's wreckage, including the rear transom with the boat's name on it.

"An investigation was continuing, but it appeared the damage was not inflicted by an explosion but by a collision with a ship much larger than the 37-foot vessel."

A USCG helicopter directed a Vessel Assist boat to two bodies and a third was later retrieved. A fourth is still missing. The search for the fourth crewmember has resumed this morning. Names have not been released pending notification of the victims' families.

The annual race, which had 213 entries, started on Friday off Newport Beach. Many boats finished on Saturday, while the rest were expected in today. Roberts reports the weather conditions were lighter than usual in the area of the accident, with boats reporting 1-2 knots of wind.

"These would be the first fatalities in the 65-year history of the race," Roberts said.

We'll have more in tomorrow's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude.

- latitude / ladonna

thy were in a shipping lane as that is where ye sail on west coast between newport and ensenada. is a busy coast. shipping lanes on starboard side and ROCKS on the port side.

NewportNewbie 04-29-2012 03:06 PM

3 Sead in Saling Yacht Crash in Race from Newport California to Mexico.

My initial question and it may be naive or dumb since I have never raced. If you see danger would you think the freighter must see me, or would you power up the motor and fly out of danger just in case? My personal thoughts are it was no wind. At some point the 2 ships see each other and each ship will think the other will alter course. For the sailboat it was too late when they realized the freighter wasn't altering coarse and similarly for the freighter. Are you disqualified if you fire up the engine to get out of harms way? Is it the "manly sailor" who doesn't turn the engine on that thinks he is a better sailor for it? I have seen idiots in the harbor trying to sail back to their slip just to say thy never turned the motor on. Meanwhile they re tacking in very tight areas and at times through mooring fields. Not very safe. Similar thing in racing?

dabnis 04-29-2012 03:28 PM

It is pretty easy to be run down by a ship, almost happened to me twice. My dad & I were going out the San Francisco Ship channel in our commercial fishing boat at about 4 AM, dark, and very rough. As we were taking a beating our focus was ahead. I looked back and saw a wall of lights coming coming down on us. Made a hard turn to starboard and just missed being run down. Another time in SF Bay in our Coronado 25 we lost our wind in the lee of Angel Island. After arguing way too long with my Dad about starting the motor I pushed by him and got it started. The ship went by WAY too close, my fault for waiting. In both cases the ships never gave any indication they saw us even though the commercial boat had a large radar reflector in the mast. Wondering if this boat had radar or AIS on? Ships look big and slow. They are big but VERY fast.

Paul T

NewportNewbie 04-29-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 864785)
Another time in SF Bay in our Coronado 25 we lost our wind in the lee of Angel Island. After arguing way too long with my Dad about starting the motor I pushed by him and got it started. The ship went by WAY too close, my fault for waiting.
Paul T

This is my point...why is there so much bravado about NOT starting the motor to get clear of danger? I am mister quick start...the key stays in the ignition and its ready to fire up in an instant.

dabnis 04-29-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportNewbie (Post 864796)
This is my point...why is there so much bravado about NOT starting the motor to get clear of danger? I am mister quick start...the key stays in the ignition and its ready to fire up in an instant.

Hard to say, just a personality thing I guess. My Dad was extremely stuborn about starting the motor when we were sailing although he didn't mind the 2hour run under power, each way, to go outside to Duxberry salmon fishing Who knows?

Paul T