SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Replacing Chainplates on the Water (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86813-replacing-chainplates-water.html)

Controlled Jibe 04-29-2012 01:56 PM

Replacing Chainplates on the Water

We have bought a new boat that is sitting in Mexico (we are far, far away at the moment), and we are trying to figure out the best way to go about replacing the chainplates when we get down there. The work yard fees are very steep, so we're wondering if we can take off one chainplate at a time, take it to the machine shop to duplicate, and bring back to reinstall a few days later. We're hoping to do this while on the water, tied to the dock, and not pay the work yard fees. We would of course use the halyard for temporary support on the stay or shroud that is down at the moment. Is this a reasonable approach, given that we could get big winds and rock around at dock. We've read in other threads of people doing this, but I've been unclear if they were on the water or on the hard. Thanks

Oh yeah, it's a Pearson Triton (deck stepped mast) that has 6 shrouds, 2 chainplates on the backstay, and a bowsprit with two chainplates for the whisker stays and a stem fitting for the bobstay (11 total pieces to replace)

Sabreman 04-29-2012 02:19 PM

Replacing Chainplates on the Water

Workable approach, especially if done singly or in pairs.

ccriders 04-29-2012 02:21 PM

Re: Replacing Chainplates on the Water

I have a Pearson 28, the model that came after the Triton and Pearson used Schaefer chainplates for it. Look to see if they did also for the Triton and sourcing them that way would eliminate the delay of having them fabricated locally. I would think that the two halyards would be sufficient support for when one of the uppers is removed. However, there are some pretty sever winds in that part of the country and would want to minimize the time the shroud was removed.
John

Controlled Jibe 04-29-2012 02:37 PM

Thanks all. A previous owner actually replaced the chainplates and moved them outboard, so pretty unlikely they were of the original dimensions. We've tried tracking down the owner that did the work to ask for dimensions, but to no avail.

celenoglu 04-29-2012 02:48 PM

If you can use 3 or 4 halyards, you can use them to secure the mast and take all the chainplates to be redone. Do not worry about the wind. Three halyards will be more than enough.

jrd22 04-29-2012 03:10 PM

I would think that you could take all but the four lowers off and use the main and jib halyard for peace of mind fore and aft. The lowers will hold the stick up.

Controlled Jibe 04-29-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks everybody, this is the peace of mind I was hoping to get here.

smurphny 04-29-2012 06:00 PM

Why not just measure the length, width, bolt spacing and size of the simple pieces. Then you'll have them right there to swap out without doing a lot of jury rigging. If your bow piece is bent around, beveled and inset like mine, it will definitely need to be taken off for someone to duplicate. If your mast-top piece is a welded s.s. X, it too should be checked for crevice corrosion. Replacing one end does not help if the other end is corroded. When I did this, I replaced everything, moved the shrouds outboard. I made some s.s. plates w/ 1/4" X 2" slots that slide right over the chainplates and screw into the toe rail to lock the shrouds from working. The main thing to check is that there is no movement in the shroud chainplates as the mast works. Even a little movement over time will result in cracking. Moving the shrouds outboard is great but the main problem is in making sure they do not work. Be ready to struggle getting the old ones off if, like mine, they are bedded with 5200.

Controlled Jibe 04-29-2012 06:27 PM

You raise a good question. We'd been warned to take the piece itself to the machinist for exact duplication. I trust my measuring (I was a trim carpenter in a former life), but is it asking for trouble to transfer measurements too many times? How far does a bolt hole have to be off before you start getting into complications? This would obviously be the way to go if we're not introducing too much of a risk of error. Thoughts?

And while we're on the subject, opinions on bedding compounds???

CorvetteGuy 04-29-2012 06:48 PM

Hylarards will take the stress. no problem taking them one at a time