Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Bahamas Checking in ??

Hello all,
I know that there are a ton of threads regarding procedures for checking into the Bahamas. My question is a little different and am hoping that someone with first hand experience can answer.

How does crew flying into the Bahamas and then sailing out on a boat get through customs without a return airline ticket? The Bahamian Embassy says that a return ticket is need to enter the country along with proof of funds to support oneself during the trip. Would appreciate any insight here. Would a copy of my cruising permit be enough or does my crew need to buy a return ticket and pay the fee to cancel it?

Thanks,
Silvio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012

davefromack is on a distinguished road
Re: Bahamas Checking in ??

I've had crew fly to the Bahamas to sail back to Florida. It's been my experience that if the crew has a copy of my Bahamian cruising permit, there isn't a problem purchasing a one-way ticket. The airlines seem to be the entities charged with checking so if you run into a problem it will be at the U.S. departure airport and not upon arrival in the Bahamas.
Old 04-29-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromack View Post
I've had crew fly to the Bahamas to sail back to Florida. It's been my experience that if the crew has a copy of my Bahamian cruising permit, there isn't a problem purchasing a one-way ticket. The airlines seem to be the entities charged with checking so if you run into a problem it will be at the U.S. departure airport and not upon arrival in the Bahamas.
Thanks for the response. I was guessing that the cruising permit should work but don't want my kid stuck at customs trying join me sailing. I have never flown into the Bahamas so I really don't have any idea what the agents are looking at when folks come through.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Just went through this a couple of weeks ago. C&I had no issue with our entering with non return tix, but the airline made us by refundable tickets . . .. If the one don't get ya . . .. Best suggestion would be to have a copy of your cruising permit with you when you enter.

Luck, post your experience when you get back.
Old 05-05-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I do this regularly. As a delivery skipper I am very often flying (and supporting crew flying) on one-way tickets.

The best is to have a copy of the boat documentation or registration, a copy of the cruising permit, and a letter from the owner or skipper identifying you (name, passport number) as crew. If you get grief from an airline counter person ask for a supervisor. I've had crew get by with less, but I've never had anyone turned away that had those three simple documents.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

If you fly on Bahama Air or other air carrier from Bahama they make you buy a return ticket. If you fly on American Eagle they don't require it. Sometimes the boat papers work with the Bahama air carriers sometimes they don't depending on who you get in Fort Lauderdale or Miami IAP. They don't know all the rules. Just be prepared to buy a return ticket if you go.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 05-05-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Just be prepared to buy a return ticket if you go.
A refundable return ticket.

I've never had an issue with any carrier once escalated to a supervisor, but I accept that it could become an issue. Melissa knows a lot about airlines. *grin* I think I have about 70 or 80 one-way international flights under my belt and my experience has been consistently good with appropriate documentation and a good attitude.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.