Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Real feedback on iPad Apps - Navigation/CharPlotter

I have been patient and waited for a few years. I finally ordered a 64GB iPad 3 and got a note from Apple that is on the way from Chongdu, China.

Recently, Practical Sailors and one of Sailing Magazines did an article about the CharPlotter programs. I read both carefully and like what I read. I have made my decision, but I like to hear from others who have actually experience using it. More importantly, what you don't like about the program or its deficiency.

TIA.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Real feedback on iPad Apps - Navigation/CharPlotter

I used Charts and Tides for the first time during a two week cruise in Maine last year. It was the most helpful tool I've ever had for cruising. I only intended to use the gps driven chartplotting device as a backup and, sure enough, I needed it. My onboard chartplotter went nutty on me while trying to snake out of the unmarked seal cove. I pulled it out and it worked great. In fact, I then realized that its fine detail is better than my Raymarine, so I now use it for all close quarter unfamiliar ops. I still use the Raymarine for open water.

The active captain database was extraordinarily helpful in finding moorings, anchorages, etc.

Couldnt live without it now.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-30-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

I use Motion X GPS. It was used to chart the 2 record breaking Trans Pacs. The owner of the company Kahn is a sailor. I find it affordable ($2?), accurate, reliable and easy to use. I used it on a trip from Newport Beach to Catalina. Others on board were VERY impressed. Motor sailing over was a piece of cake. On the way back it was a bit hairy with big winds and big seas. Still the software kept me right on track. Many times showing we were being pushed too far south by seas and winds. You did get the 4G version of the iPad right? That has the dedicated GPS in it. The WiFi only does not have stand alone GPS. This means you can get GPS tracking without Cell signal. My wife has the iPad 3, I use her original iPad for the boat now. I turned off the data plan, so no Cell service at all for me, but the GPS worked flawlessly. I found that I didn't use the Map section or chart section as much as I used its compass page. It has my speed, heading, distance to waypoint, and bearing to waypoint. I use bearing to waypoint and my ship compasses to navigate. If I get off course , it automatically recalculates a new course and bearing to get me to my destination. Here is what that screen looks like....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

I've used Navionics on both my iPad and Android tablets. If used as a chart plotter, it's pretty good. Ignore the newsstand feature though, it's useless and hasn't updated on my tablets for months.

Also, if you get it, check to make sure that charts download properly. A couple of times I've downloaded a new area only to find one of the zoom levels missing. Generally when I've done so over a flaky net connection.
Old 05-09-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I used Charts and Tides for the first time during a two week cruise in Maine last year. It was the most helpful tool I've ever had for cruising. I only intended to use the gps driven chartplotting device as a backup and, sure enough, I needed it. My onboard chartplotter went nutty on me while trying to snake out of the unmarked seal cove. I pulled it out and it worked great. In fact, I then realized that its fine detail is better than my Raymarine, so I now use it for all close quarter unfamiliar ops. I still use the Raymarine for open water.

The active captain database was extraordinarily helpful in finding moorings, anchorages, etc.

Couldn't live without it now.
Yes
Charts and Tides for AC is no brainer. It is inexpensive and AC data is priceless. I am downloading it now.

I also bought one of this to give my iPad some accidental water invasion protection.
Amazon.com: iOttie Waterproof Skin Case Cover Pouch for The New iPad, iPad 2 Multi Purpose Protective Skin for Underwater Activity, Fishing, Ski, Snowboarding, Sand-Proof, Dustproof, Bath Tub: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iOttie Waterproof Skin Case Cover Pouch for The New iPad, iPad 2 Multi Purpose Protective Skin for Underwater Activity, Fishing, Ski, Snowboarding, Sand-Proof, Dustproof, Bath Tub: Cell Phones & Accessories

I look forward for some cool inexpensive AIS receiver (BT) in a year or so.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.