Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Wood around emergency tiller port wet and soggy

Pearson 27 wheel steering. I have an access port under the helmsman seat for access to the emergency tiller slot. Before knowing the boat, the PO replaced the screw port with a piece of lexan screwed into place with 5 ss screws and what was probably serviceable silicon caulk. I removed the screws to see what was what in there and saw that there was some plywood surrounding the FRP tube around the emergency tiller slot. The wood was wet and mossy. Not good, I thought to myself.

After some webtective work, Beckson seemed to be the OEM for that port. I called them and they still had the original OEM screw port in stock and even offered to pre-drill the countersunk holes for me (refreshing customer service in these times). I heartily accepted, and $18 dollars and 5 days later, I installed the OEM replacement.

I figured that the plywood would dry over time benefiting from airflow from the engine room directly below, but 3 months later it is still wet.

1) Is this plywood structurally integral? It seems to be surrounding the FRP tube around the rudder post. This tube is held in place by a two- or three-ply hose attached below to the through-hull rudder stem.

2) How the hell would you replace it? I have tried to see up there from below in the cramped engine room but can't even see the bottom of the wood from below. If I crawled into the engine space I might, but my contortionist skills are rusty.

Has anyone have this problem?
Old 05-01-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Wood around emergency tiller port wet and soggy

the odays and pearsons are similiar in that respect. it's not structural that I can tell. It stays wet from condensation. the water also drips into the rudder post. I keep forgetting to address it on my boat. My plan is to insulate the cover lid, and make a wood plug for the rudder post. the plywood only dries if you leave the lid off on a sunny day!

edit; the condensation comes from in the boat because the em tiller port is high up and when it's covered it can't "vent"

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

Thanks Denise, this makes me feel a bit better.
Old 05-01-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Your welcome

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook