Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Marinas while in transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaler View Post
No, not on the ICW. Strictly within the Great Lakes.

I guess what I'll try to do is go day-by-day and use my Active Captain information to contact the likely stop that night.
Do yourself a favor. Joint BoatUS for towing service (you may need it) and, with your membership you'll get access to a directory of cooperating marinas that provide discounts on services to BoatUS members. We joined BoatUS when we first moved to Florida ('92) and it has proven to be a valuable resource (although we've never needed towing service!). The discounts on slips and fuel can easily pay the membership fee (these daze a 25% discount on a transient fee can add up).

FWIW...
travlineasy likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 05-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Call ahead. They do have phones, right?

And most will have a mail slot in their door, or some other provision. In some out of the way locations I've seen a note on the door telling out-of-hours visitors what to leave, or what they can take. (i.e. taking on water during closed hours.)

But tying up without permission is simply trespassing. Worse than bad form, it usually is actionable. I'd be very reluctant to do that when phones and radios are so common these days.
Old 05-01-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

When we came up the Chesapeake from Norfolk we'd call on the cell around 2pm to the marina where we wanted to stop that night (by 2pm you have a pretty good idea how much ground you're going to cover that day). We used the Waterway Guide to pick our stops for the night and they took a credit card over the phone.

Never had a problem and this seemed to be pretty much standard procedure.

FWIW I think svHyLyte gave you some good advice on BoatUS towing. The first sail with a new boat things are likely to break.
mgmhead likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 05-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I guess what I'll try to do is go day-by-day and use my Active Captain information to contact the likely stop that night.
Probably a good plan. I have never sailed the Great Lakes but I have marina hopped around north west Florida and just called a day or two ahead. Often the marinas that I have stayed at would have a security guard expecting me and when I got in late at night they would be looking for me and often would grab a line. Don't know that I ever left before the offices opened though, that may be a tricky point. Working out the payment I mean.

The couple of times that I have been in a hurry to get somewhere I just anchor along the way and skip the marinas all together. Not worth the hassle if I am not using the facilities.

Have a good trip!
Old 05-01-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Go online and find marinas along your way with phone numbers. Once you are on your way in late afternoon, you can easily guage your arrival time and can call them to have them put it on your cc.
I have arrived at a marine without calling first when it was late at night and then waited till they opened to pay and had them be surprised. When I asked why they were surprised they said "Most people who tie up that late at night just leave without paying". DO NOT EVER DO THAT. Everybody needs to be paid for their work.
Old 05-01-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

It's not an uncommon practice for late arrivals to a marina to tie up at the fuel dock. This location is usually open and not in use during off hours and here you would be able to negotiate a fee in the morning. I have always remained until open hours when doing this and sometimes found that simply topping off my tanks was sufficient payment, but I always offered and expected to be charged for dockage. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
msmith10 likes this.
Old 05-01-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I agree with everything said. Fair is fair.

I would like to add that if you are doing this in the off season, be sure you are getting what you pay for. Many marinas in New England will gladly charge you $4+ a foot, yet the pool, restaurant, bar, and sometimes even the heads and laundry are winterized. Rather silly.
Old 05-01-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

get one of these for the Lake you will be on...
https://www.lakelandboating.com/lake...re.asp?categ=1

They are great cruising guides.
Not only will it give you the marina information you might require, it will also lead you to restaurants and points of interest.

Don't rely on Active Captain as you will need wi-fi to connect and connections are not always available.

Simply phone ahead when in cell range and they will most likely assign you a slip if you are arriving after hours.

Sometimes the most difficult part is finding the assigned slip in an unfamiliar harbor.

When getting your assignment, ask if it is a port side or starboard side tie, bow in or stern in depending on your preference. This will help when getting your lines set up in a strange location.

I also recommend getting in before the 10PM time I saw mentioned earlier. Arriving after sunset in a strange marina is not always a smooth operation.

What Lake are you on? And what is the starting point and destination? If your on Michigan, I can try and help more. If your on another of the Great Lakes, others here will be able to offer more advice.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-01-2012

Canadaler is on a distinguished road

Departing from Lake St. Clair, down the Detroit River (which I know fairly well) then running on the US side of Lake Erie, back up through the Welland Canal and ending up in the western end of Lake Ontario.

BTW...re: Active Captain, you only need Wifi to update the information in it. You can download all the information onto your ipod or smart phone and it resides there for reference, no wifi or even phone signal required to access the information.

Lots of good advice and comments generated here, thanks everyone.

I'm also planning on trying to stay at one or two yacht/sailing clubs which may have reciprocals with our club.
Old 05-01-2012

ggray is on a distinguished road

When circumstances have changed causing me to need dock space without calling beforehand, and I needed an early start, I've called the marina after the fact to give them credit card info. Not often, but this has never caused a problem with the marina in question. They are usually grateful.

I had not considered this to be tresspassing, but... maybe it is.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.