SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Marinas while in transit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86899-marinas-while-transit.html)

Canadaler 05-01-2012 03:19 PM

Marinas while in transit

OK...this may be a stupid question but...I'm sailing a boat I bought home which will take about a week. My plans are to sail pretty much during daylight hours.

I'm looking at potential/probable stops along the way and note that most of the marinas and/or clubs along the way are only open from about 8am to 5pm.

So what's a guy to do when he arrives at (say) 10pm and leaves again at 6am?

newportermike 05-01-2012 03:35 PM

Re: Marinas while in transit

Canadaler, I am in the same predicament. Most of the marinas and launch services are very spotty here in the Northeast at this time of year, so I am going to provision properly and bring the Dinghy with outboard.

Canadaler 05-01-2012 03:38 PM

So I take it that tying up after they're closed and leaving again before they open is "bad form?" :rolleyes:

DRFerron 05-01-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadaler (Post 865848)
OK...this may be a stupid question but...I'm sailing a boat I bought home which will take about a week. My plans are to sail pretty much during daylight hours.

I'm looking at potential/probable stops along the way and note that most of the marinas and/or clubs along the way are only open from about 8am to 5pm.

So what's a guy to do when he arrives at (say) 10pm and leaves again at 6am?

I would figure out the best way you can at which marinas you want to stop. Contact them and let them know how you'll be traveling and the expected arrival/departure times. Perhaps some can accommodate you by accepting a credit card in advance and putting it through without your signature. It would be the same as buying something online. Also, some marinas might have someone who lives on the premises that might be able to pop out and help you when you arrive.

Can't hurt to ask.

johnnyquest37 05-01-2012 03:43 PM

It's bad form; but if you make arrangements with the marina ahead of time (like earlier in the day), they should have no problem with assigning you a slip. If you are not going to use the marina facilites, then anchor out, if that is an options. Is this an ICW trip?

DRFerron 05-01-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 (Post 865864)
It's bad form; but if you make arrangements with the marina ahead of time (like earlier in the day), they should have no problem with assigning you a slip. If you are not going to use the marina facilites, then anchor out, if that is an options. Is this an ICW trip?

Why is it "bad form"? I've seen my marina management go out of their way to accommodate boaters. Just curious why you think so.

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't see the other post you were really responding too.

NateCP16 05-01-2012 03:59 PM

My first preference is anchoring, but when I can't identify a good anchorage in the area, I'll call ahead (day or two if possible) and reserve a slip by credit card. Ask them to not charge your card immediately and find out how late you can cancel without being charged. If weather (or other issues) are going to prevent you from making it that day, you can call ahead and hopefully cancel the reservation before you get charged.

It's a pain to try and arrange everything ahead of time, but it's nice to know a berth is waiting for you. Depending on the marina/time of year, they may be full-up if you arrive after 5pm, then it's a scramble to find the next closest marina (and they probably won't be answering their phone/VHF since it is after hours).

johnnyquest37 05-01-2012 04:01 PM

It's bad form to take a slip at a marina after the office has closed up and then leave before they come back in the morning to avoid paying for the slip.

AdamLein 05-01-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 865862)
I would figure out the best way you can at which marinas you want to stop. Contact them and let them know how you'll be traveling and the expected arrival/departure times. Perhaps some can accommodate you by accepting a credit card in advance and putting it through without your signature. It would be the same as buying something online. Also, some marinas might have someone who lives on the premises that might be able to pop out and help you when you arrive.

Can't hurt to ask.

I've done this several times and never had a problem.

Canadaler 05-01-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 (Post 865864)

No, not on the ICW. Strictly within the Great Lakes.

I guess what I'll try to do is go day-by-day and use my Active Captain information to contact the likely stop that night.