Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003

thebrakes is on a distinguished road
electric trolling motors for small sailboats?

i recently purchased a san juan 21, 7'' beam, weighs 1250 lbs. i am considering powering it with electric trolling motor(s), the kind typically used by fishermen for keeping quiet.

naturally, this is not a permanent arrangement. i intend to install a small gas outboard in a short while, but need a quick power fix to move the boat and get me around in the meantime.

has anyone tried this before? will the engines produce enough power to get me through the water?

i have access to some really cheap electric motors, which is why i am even considering this. any guidance would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2003

c172guy is on a distinguished road

I have powered a 18'' daysailer with a 1.2hp outboard. It worked OK. There was a guy that powered a 25'' sailboat with a simular motor. He moved slow. Unfortunately the trolling motors are rated in pounds of thrust and the small outboards in horsepower.
In short I think that it would work in light winds to move you a short distance in and out of the dock. I''ve seen some bass boats moving along at several knots with their trolling motors.
Old 12-19-2003

SailinJay is on a distinguished road

The sailing school I went to allowed you to charter their school boats, Tanzer 22s, for day sails. They had 12 boats or so, but only three outboards. If you didn''t get there early, you had to get towed out and back. So I pulled a trolling motor off of my small aluminum fishing boat (35-pounds of thrust) and brought it with me for the Tanzer. Got me out away from the dock and out on the water, and back with no problem. In later years I used it on a Catalina 22 with similar results. You didn''t move fast, but even in a blow you could make forward progress.

They make 55-pound thrust saltwater motors and I was considering one of those to replace an old Johnson 9.9 that was a bit finicky. Was motoring out next to a J-24 that had one of them, and the guy was moving along very smartly, much faster than I did with the smaller motor.

The 55-pound thrust motor is used with a 12-volt deep cycle battery. If you rig up a 24-volt system, you can get electric motors that have much higher thrust. These would be more than enough for a small sailboat.
Old 12-20-2003
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road

I power my Express 27 (2450#) with a Honda 2HP. The motor only weighs 28lbs and burns 1qt/hr. In protected waters, I can motor at about 5-6 knots, and it''s never failed to start.
Old 12-21-2003

gstraub is on a distinguished road

Quite a while back I owned a Holder 20 that I think weighs about the same as your San Juan. I used an old Sears trolling motor and a marine battery as an auxiliary. It worked fine. I eventually moved up to a 2 HP Honda outboard, and that worked even better.

Gerhard
Old 12-29-2003

StanLee is on a distinguished road

I currently use a walmart bought 50lb thrust electric to push my 18Ft trimaran around. works great, very quiet no fumes and just needs an occasional battery charge.
A friend has alos used one to push his Oday 20'' as well.

Stan
Old 05-21-2008

Moonlightuser is on a distinguished road
I have a 22' US Yacht and I want to go down from an 8HP 2 stroke to a 2HP Honda 4 stroke and I'm wondering if it will help at all when the winds pick up and I decide to try and head into the wind to lower my sails. 8 and 9.9 HP motors are just too heavy and that's what I've been using for over 10 years. I like everything about Hondas little 2 except I know I'm loosing a lot of power and my only concern is what happens in a heavy storm?
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Moonlight-

You'd be much better off with a 3.5 HP or 5 hp four-stroke, since they're relatively light and a good deal more powerful than the 2 HP Honda, which has no transmission IIRC. Not having a transmission can mean problems when trying to maneuver at slow speeds.

The 3.5 HP Tohatsu is about 40 lbs. with a full tank, and I like the one I have very much.

Thebrakes—

As a stop-gap measure, the electric trolling motor might work fairly well, provided you remember to charge the batteries regularly, don't run them completely flat, and only have short distances in relatively calm waters to move the boat over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-21-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I was on a capri 22 with a 2 hp honda on the Delaware river which has a strong current, it did "ok", not a world beater. If I was in any coastal conditions, I would like a bigger motor, perhaps a 3.5 hp ?
Old 05-21-2008

Moonlightuser is on a distinguished road
Thank you. Looks like the Tohatsu you have is the 2 stroke and that they do not make anymore. They do have a 4 stroke though and their prices look better than Honda and Yamaha.

]

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.