Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: engine-less

I'm very interested in this but couldn't find anything about engine-less passage making on their site?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2013

limpyweta is on a distinguished road

I've been aboard during the engineless passages of a C&C 27 with Sail Transport Company, through the ports of Poulsbo, Brownsville, Sequim, Shilshole, Port Townsend, Langley, and Coupeville, in 0-30 knots, with winds in different directions. And I've been aboard with an Oar Clubber on an engineless Yankee 30, from Blake Island to Bellingham. The Oar Club's website, like Sail Transport Company's, is also on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, archive dot org.

Both boats had yuloh-style sculling oars. It was definitely more a matter of timing, good boats surveyed and maintained appropriately, appropriate sails, sail changing methods, and anchoring, weather and water current forecasting abilities, a crew of more than 1, and appropriate planning (ie getting up at 3 am), to avoid stuff like towing the bow from a leeward dock with an inflatable kayak to a nearby mooring buoy, docking at 7 knots, etc. In some circumstances it may have been nice to go into slips on bare poles with two sweeping oars, like pivoting off the winches, mentioned in Jay's book, if the width permitted. There was a lot of mooring and anchoring, or heaving-to, outside of marinas until the weather got a bit calmer. The same kinda thing happened going to certain channels with crappy wind and tidal current.

Sailing in and out of a slip is pretty sweet when conditions are nice enough, thinking of it as a very short dock. One day in Poulsbo, as we were bob-sledding the sloop out of the slip, we saw a guy with a Triton on his jib, sailing around each dock in the marina singlehanded, on a sloop at least 25', with both sails up, like he was tracing his bare hand onto sheet metal with a dremel. I heard it's easy though with the right setup if one tries for like an hour, with something else, like sailing tightly around a couple pillows in the water.
barefootnavigator likes this.

Last edited by limpyweta; 04-06-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

There is a small engineless contingent at Shilshole, I think they even have a mailing list. (read the rest of the thread, the "Oar Club" is what I was thinking about).

I like sailing on my friend Bob's engineless Yankee 30.

Last edited by Alex W; 04-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2013

mac 2-22 is on a distinguished road

I have a trolling motor 55# trust no wind it will do just fine just keep battery charged with solar charger. 2years sailing with 40# thrust into 20k winds with 2500 # boat again then i used 1kw gen with 2 battery chargers did 2knots into wind. got me back to dock ok.
Old 04-06-2013

limpyweta is on a distinguished road

ooo! Some of the Oar Club forum is on oarclub dot lefora dot com and voy dot com slash 153904.

Last edited by limpyweta; 04-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.