Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012

wrevans is on a distinguished road
Re: engine-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
I will gladly "serve the engine" when a big ship is bearing down on me and the wind dies. Been there and done that.

Paul T
Is dodging large ships a common issue? Admittedly I don't sail in any shipping lanes but large ferries are pretty common place in th San Juan Islands and I have never found myself impeding their navigation at all.

The reason that I ask is that this concern comes up occasionally as a justification for engines in sailboats.

Cheers,
Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

This has been a fun thread to read. I admire any of you who can row a keelboat of more than 2500 pounds or so.

I had a Marblehead Town class 17-foot c.b. sloop, no motor, low enough freeboard that we rowed her often with a single sweep oar coming in from a race in light or no air. My method was to heel her to the oarlock side to reduce freeboard further.

Don't know if you could do this on your 23-footer. But you have a bit of bulwark, maybe carving an opening to get your oarlock down to deck level, and heel her with everyone you have on board, would give you enough speed?

Less freeboard = shorter oar = better leverage.
Old 05-04-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrevans View Post
Is dodging large ships a common issue? Admittedly I don't sail in any shipping lanes but large ferries are pretty common place in th San Juan Islands and I have never found myself impeding their navigation at all.

The reason that I ask is that this concern comes up occasionally as a justification for engines in sailboats.

Cheers,
Bill
Bill,

We sailed on San Francisco Bay and outside for many years. In the summer, generally you have more wind than you can comfortably use, especially in the Gate "slot" area. Winter time, generally light to no wind unless a storm is coming in. LOTS of commercial traffic everywhere. Much of the Bay is too shallow for ships to leave the channel. For liability purposes they might try full reverse just before they run you down but probably not. It is the smaller vessel's responsibility to stay out of their way, by whatever means. The alternative is getting run down which would complicate your day

Paul T
Old 05-04-2012

Quote:
Bill,

We sailed on San Francisco Bay and outside for many years. In the summer, generally you have more wind than you can comfortably use, especially in the Gate "slot" area. Winter time, generally light to no wind unless a storm is coming in. LOTS of commercial traffic everywhere. Much of the Bay is too shallow for ships to leave the channel. For liability purposes they might try full reverse just before they run you down but probably not. It is the smaller vessel's responsibility to stay out of their way, by whatever means. The alternative is getting run down which would complicate your day

Paul T
Bill,

Forgot the chart: Chart 18649

Paul T
Old 05-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrevans View Post

Cheers,
Bill
Definitely an issue here. There is a shipping lane that goes up the Bay to Providence and Cruise Ships that come to Newport all summer long. They will not stop for a recreational sailboat and couldn't if they tried. In fact, I'm sure they assume you have an engine to get out of the way.

Even the tourist day sailing Schooners will run you over. But that's another story.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Definitely an issue here. There is a shipping lane that goes up the Bay to Providence and Cruise Ships that come to Newport all summer long. They will not stop for a recreational sailboat and couldn't if they tried. In fact, I'm sure they assume you have an engine to get out of the way.

Even the tourist day sailing Schooners will run you over. But that's another story.
Generally speaking, I have always considered any boat or vessel twice as long as mine to have the right of way. Maybe not technically correct but I am still alive.

Paul T
PaulfromNWOnt likes this.
Old 05-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Generally speaking, I have always considered any boat or vessel twice as long as mine to have the right of way. Maybe not technically correct but I am still alive.

Paul T
Agreed. No point being dead right.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Agreed. No point being dead right.
So true, what is the story with the Tourist Schooners?

Paul T
Old 05-04-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I actually could scull the rudder on my Catalina 22 a bit. If the wind died in the mooring field, I could just pump it back-and-forth in big sweeps, and get to my pin (and turn my Kermit arms into Popeye arms).
Old 05-04-2012

Quote:
So true, what is the story with the Tourist Schooners?

Paul T
There are a couple of day boats that come out of Newport that scoop up a couple of dozen tourists for a one hour tour of East Passage. Out and back all day long. You might think that two sailboats meetings would honor published stand on rules, but they will run you down no matter who has rights. Perhaps, because they are technically a commercial vessel they have rights over another sailboat, but a stranger wouldn't know. I've speculated that, after a few weeks of jockeying tourists, they want to die.

Jeanneau 54DS