SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   engine-less (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86900-engine-less.html)

barefootnavigator 05-01-2012 03:23 PM

engine-less

I'm looking for engine-less sailors that can give me tips and tricks for more successful engine-less sailing. I sail in the PNW so its pretty challenging here. I'm not interested in any form of electric motor or outboard, the whole point of engine-less sailing is to be engine-less. I'm currently working on a sculling oar but for now its been push it out and pray :) Thanks :)

dabnis 05-01-2012 03:55 PM

Re: engine-less

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootnavigator (Post 865851)
I'm looking for engine-less sailors that can give me tips and tricks for more successful engine-less sailing. I sail in the PNW so its pretty challenging here. I'm not interested in any form of electric motor or outboard, the whole point of engine-less sailing is to be engine-less. I'm currently working on a sculling oar but for now its been push it out and pray :) Thanks :)

A long set of oars.

Paul T

rockDAWG 05-01-2012 04:04 PM

I have a Catalina Capri 14.2. Although I have a Honda 2 HP outboard, I hardly take it with me. If the wind dies, I just sit until the wind picks up or some passing by to give me a tow.

Just bring your cell, portable VHF and SPOT, just in case the unexpected. I have sailed this way for 10 to 15 years. It is totally doable and fun. I have oars, but I am too lazy to use them unless I am in the shipping channel. :D

Minnewaska 05-01-2012 04:33 PM

Just because you have an engine, doesn't require you to use it.

dabnis 05-01-2012 04:36 PM

Forum member "chrisncate", or something similar had lots of discussion on going engineless.

SailNet Community - View Profile: chrisncate

Paul T

sevseasail 05-01-2012 04:40 PM

I used to do it when I first started sailing. We had the mooring for the boat right off the river and it was easy to get to it with the sails, but if the mooring would have been further into the marina it would have been a different story.
I see from your avatar picture you are inside a marina.
Imagine tracking in the channel inside the marina in between the docks..... is it doable?, sure, depending on the size of the boat and the space available.

I guess it comes down to how far into the marina you are and how much are you willing to work to get to your slip.

barefootnavigator 05-01-2012 04:47 PM

I'm doing it now in the Marina but its quite difficult and intimidating. I will be spending the summer in the Islands where there is more room.

ccriders 05-01-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 865887)
Just because you have an engine, doesn't require you to use it.

Actually, not regularly running an engine is the sure kiss of death.
John

Minnewaska 05-01-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccriders (Post 865906)
Actually, not regularly running an engine is the sure kiss of death.
John

Agreed. But you can sail without it.

IslanderGuy 05-01-2012 05:00 PM

I've sailed engine-less quite a bit, but not on purpose... not without an engine, just with an engine that was in "less" then working condition! :p

I would love to eventually have the time and skills to go totally without an engine, but for now, I can't, so I rebuilt an engine instead So far it's working much better (knocks on wood)

Unfortunately I can't give a whole lot of advice, nothing you probably don't already know, I'm no expert. There used to be a guy in the Seattle area that organized the Oar Club, a club for engineless sailors, but the site seems to be defunct now. From the googling I did, looks like he moved to Hawaii or something, and no one else took up the cause. Perhaps it was a club of one?

Good luck, I'm interested to know how the sculling oar works out, I plan to build one soon. Seems like a good compromise.

While I am decently good at engine repair, it's not something I enjoy. The other week I was working on an outboard on another boat, when my truck broke down. Twice. In one day. I got them both running, but I ended up singing a little song I made up that went something like "I hate engines yes I do, cars and trucks and boat motors too!" :rolleyes: