Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Boats 'n dogs

1st golden retriever really wanted to go boating with us so we took her. She decided she could swim from shore to boat so she started walking out into the water. Suddenly she realizes there are “THINGS” crawling on the bottom and across her feet. Ever see a dog try to walk on water?
She was terrified of dolphins and would bark like a crazy thing when she heard them breathe. Once she began to associate salt water with dolphins, her sailing days were over, she was terrified.

Next Golden Retriever and Catahula. Wife decided they needed to become boat dogs. Unfortunately, it was choppy and windy. Nothing worse’n two large seasick dogs. When the boat neared the dock, the Golden dove for the dock from the boat., missed of course, You ever try to haul 90 lbs of salt water soaked dog up out of the water onto a dock? OK, we took em for a walk to calm down. When we walked back and they could see the boat at the dock, both refused to go any closer. I had to drive my truck to where they were to get em.

Took Golden to a lake for canoeing. Got into canoe and called to him, he came bounding up only to have gator come out of the water in front of him. At least he knew not to approach it but he knew it was a “BAD THING” and refused to come closer. About a month later, my wife decided her Golden just had to go canoeing to a diff lake. I had to lift that crazed terrified dog into the canoe where he sat on he bottom whimpering cuz he just knew there were “BAD LIZARD THINGS” in the water.

No more boat dogs for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Boats 'n dogs

That is too bad. It really depends on the dogs for sure. My german shepherd and chocolate lab have been in boats since they were just pups. The shepherd used to sleep at my feet on class 4 whitewater trips and both have been on many backcountry whitewater and canoe trips for days at a time. Mostly they sleep. The lab insists on being on the bow of any boat she is riding on and cries (not kidding) if her boat isn't in front of any other boat out there. She must be a racer at heart.

Sadly they are both getting older now and the issue is climbing in and out of boats of any type. While they used to jump in over the gunnels, now they stand with the head over the edge waiting for a hand. At 100 lbs each, it takes quite a hand.

Just depends on the dog and how they were introduced to it.
Old 05-02-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post

Took Golden to a lake for canoeing. Got into canoe and called to him, he came bounding up only to have gator come out of the water in front of him. At least he knew not to approach it but he knew it was a “BAD THING” and refused to come closer.
Yeah, that would probably put me off canoeing as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

When I was growing up we had a golden retriever who loved jetski rides! My dad would take her for 20-30 minutes rides around the lake and she'd sit there, in front of him, loving every minute of it.

I have a chocolate Lab now who loves the water but not boats so much because he finds them too cramped.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 05-02-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

My cousin has a sheep that likes motor bikes ...

http://weirdpicturearchive.com/img/s...motorcycle.jpg

Dogs are wonderful things and the day I stop sailing, the pound and another muttley will be my first stop but I just don't think they are all that boat friendly. I know many of you will disagree, I have a good mate who shares his VDS34 with an Oz Red Kelpie, another couple we know have two large hounds on their Peterson 44 and my last dog came sailing with me all the time but I just find the pleasures are outweighed by the inconvenience. Anything other than a small dog is a pain to get in and out of the tender, so many places now have no dog rules (national parks and the like) and if as we do you like to spend a lot of time at anchor in inclement weather, the shore trips get old very quickly indeed as does the wet dog smell.

I almost wish it was otherwise but for me at least its the way it is.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-02-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
My cousin has a sheep that likes motor bikes ...

... the shore trips get old very quickly indeed as does the wet dog smell.

I almost wish it was otherwise but for me at least its the way it is.

Dude, when your wife farts in bed...do you complain...?
Old 05-02-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Dude, when your wife farts in bed...do you complain...?
Is that appropos of my sheep shagging cousin or wet dogs ?

If the latter then you don't honestly expect me to accuse the Wombet of farting in bed do you ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-02-2012
Superior Sailor

Either way...I'd blame the dog...
Old 05-02-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

I haven't taken my dog - rat terrier, about 18 pounds - on the boat all that often. The times I have taken him, I made sure it was calm.

I take his bed and some snacks.

Introduced him to the boat first just spending the night docked at the marina.
Old 05-02-2012
Superior Sailor

Little guys are probably better suited than big guys are... JMO...

My little guy is a "Velcro" dog doesn't run jump and bark much just likes to sit attentively and be near me at all times...

Will sit in v berth till I throw him on deck will stay in cockpit and not try to "jump" to the dock...(OK fine I gotta pick him up and carry him everywhere)...
Attached Thumbnails
Boats 'n dogs-dog.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.