SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Collision: Bad News and Good News (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/86949-collision-bad-news-good-news.html)

WanderingStar 05-02-2012 02:04 PM

Collision: Bad News and Good News

Yes, my boat was hit and holed (above the water) while moored. That's bad news. I got a call from the town this morning telling me that she'd been hit. Not good for your stomach. And they also told me that the other boater had taped it over. That means a hole right? No one would tape a scratch. I hurried down to find a hole the size of my head in the starboard bow.
There's good news?
Yes: no one was hurt; the boat doesn't leak; the other guy was good enough to leave a note and notify the town; and, he has insurance.
On the news this morning a guy on LI killed his whole family. Yesterday a cop in Westchester and his family were killed in a fire. Last week a family of seven was killed in the Bronx driving off an overpass.
I think I'm having a good week.

CalebD 05-02-2012 02:34 PM

Re: Collision: Bad News and Good News

As Phil Rizzutto used to say: "Holy Cow!"

You sound like you're being pretty philosophical about this; I would be hopping mad (not that it would accomplish anything).
I know your boat is a woody so to repair this sounds like a lot of scarfing in of new wood.

I'm sorry to hear about this.

MarkSailor 05-02-2012 02:49 PM

Congratulations to you on having a very good perspective on the incident. You are right that we tend to take much of our good fortune for granted. I have a sister who does grant administration for a foundation, and she tells me of people in the third world with REAL problems - like getting clean water to drink and enough food to eat. Those kind of problems make damage to your yacht a little less crushing. That said, I sympathize with you on the damage. Maybe you can use the repairs as an opportunity to upgrade or get some other work done, so it's not a total loss. Good luck to you.

WanderingStar 05-02-2012 03:24 PM

Thanks for your kind words and sympathy. It could have been much worse. Many people would have panicked and fled the accident without notice. Many small boats have no insurance. My last boat might have been sunk by this hit. At worst I can do the repair myself, though I've already started contacting yards and boat carpenters.

rugosa 05-02-2012 03:31 PM

Wonderful perspective. You must have felt a twinge when you got the call. Club we sail out of has an annual Easter Seals sail to take out those that are challenged and less fortunate. About 50 boats, box lunches, local dignitaries, etc. All for a great cause. Sail on:D

nolatom 05-02-2012 03:47 PM

Left a note, taped it over so it wouldnt get more water in, notified the town, and has insurance?

Invite "other guy" to join Sailnet, we like him already. We'll give him wise advice on how to tack away just a tad bit earlier..

BarryL 05-02-2012 04:01 PM

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that Wandering Start was damaged. You have a great attitude.

My boat is still in the Columbia yard I have had zero time to work on her. Hopefully I'll be in next weekend.

Good luck with the repairs and let me know if I can help in any way.

Barry

carl762 05-02-2012 04:40 PM

Glad you're both stand up guys. You took it very well and best of luck in fixing your Baby.

I've seen several people over the past couple of years hit people's boats and keep right on going.

Last Sunday I watched this gas guzzling pig of a motor boat gas up and coming back in took him over two hours to get his boat back in the slip (wicked current, prop walk), hitting pilings and the dock 3-4 times and then hitting at least 2 boats that I saw. I'll find out Saturday if he notified the other boat owners. If not, I turn his butt in.

SloopJonB 05-02-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingStar (Post 866309)
Yes, my boat was hit and holed (above the water) while moored.

Am I correct in assuming it was a powerboat that hit you? :)

Minnewaska 05-02-2012 08:55 PM

Having received a similar call once, I have great empathy for that heart sunk feeling.

You're a better person than I for how you are feeling about the offender this soon afterward, although, I do get there. I just need a bit of decompression time.