Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Collision: Bad News and Good News

Yes, my boat was hit and holed (above the water) while moored. That's bad news. I got a call from the town this morning telling me that she'd been hit. Not good for your stomach. And they also told me that the other boater had taped it over. That means a hole right? No one would tape a scratch. I hurried down to find a hole the size of my head in the starboard bow.
There's good news?
Yes: no one was hurt; the boat doesn't leak; the other guy was good enough to leave a note and notify the town; and, he has insurance.
On the news this morning a guy on LI killed his whole family. Yesterday a cop in Westchester and his family were killed in a fire. Last week a family of seven was killed in the Bronx driving off an overpass.
I think I'm having a good week.
Faster, HPLou, primerate84 and 4 others like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Collision: Bad News and Good News

As Phil Rizzutto used to say: "Holy Cow!"

You sound like you're being pretty philosophical about this; I would be hopping mad (not that it would accomplish anything).
I know your boat is a woody so to repair this sounds like a lot of scarfing in of new wood.

I'm sorry to hear about this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2012

MarkSailor is on a distinguished road

Congratulations to you on having a very good perspective on the incident. You are right that we tend to take much of our good fortune for granted. I have a sister who does grant administration for a foundation, and she tells me of people in the third world with REAL problems - like getting clean water to drink and enough food to eat. Those kind of problems make damage to your yacht a little less crushing. That said, I sympathize with you on the damage. Maybe you can use the repairs as an opportunity to upgrade or get some other work done, so it's not a total loss. Good luck to you.
casey1999 likes this.
Old 05-02-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your kind words and sympathy. It could have been much worse. Many people would have panicked and fled the accident without notice. Many small boats have no insurance. My last boat might have been sunk by this hit. At worst I can do the repair myself, though I've already started contacting yards and boat carpenters.
Old 05-02-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Wonderful perspective. You must have felt a twinge when you got the call. Club we sail out of has an annual Easter Seals sail to take out those that are challenged and less fortunate. About 50 boats, box lunches, local dignitaries, etc. All for a great cause. Sail on
Old 05-02-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Left a note, taped it over so it wouldnt get more water in, notified the town, and has insurance?

Invite "other guy" to join Sailnet, we like him already. We'll give him wise advice on how to tack away just a tad bit earlier..
Old 05-02-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that Wandering Start was damaged. You have a great attitude.

My boat is still in the Columbia yard I have had zero time to work on her. Hopefully I'll be in next weekend.

Good luck with the repairs and let me know if I can help in any way.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Glad you're both stand up guys. You took it very well and best of luck in fixing your Baby.

I've seen several people over the past couple of years hit people's boats and keep right on going.

Last Sunday I watched this gas guzzling pig of a motor boat gas up and coming back in took him over two hours to get his boat back in the slip (wicked current, prop walk), hitting pilings and the dock 3-4 times and then hitting at least 2 boats that I saw. I'll find out Saturday if he notified the other boat owners. If not, I turn his butt in.
Old 05-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Yes, my boat was hit and holed (above the water) while moored.
Am I correct in assuming it was a powerboat that hit you?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Having received a similar call once, I have great empathy for that heart sunk feeling.

You're a better person than I for how you are feeling about the offender this soon afterward, although, I do get there. I just need a bit of decompression time.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.