Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: What happened to Chris & Cate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Nice timing Gary, just got some internet today after a moderately long spell without any. I posted in a thread here earlier, first post in awhile. Our old email at Comcast is over and out, I'll pm you a new one. Thanks for noticing and wondering about us!

We're in the water, the boats done (well...), and here we are (for over a month now).

I haven't updated the blog but I should, it's been a real adjustment these last few weeks. I don't know where to even start, so all I will say is that we seem to have lost our sailing mojo. Coming down from doing the rebuild and adjusting to our lives not revolving around the refit is proving hard. For over a year our daily lives were nothing but boat refit 24/7, and now that that's gone we are kind of lost. Actually, we are totally lost. We currently have nothing to build and we don't know what to do it appears. Just "living" seems to be harder than we thought.

Being on the boat after all that we did, nothing looks the same anymore for some reason. The bay seems about as big as a bathtub, and the wonder of it all seems to have left us for the time being (hopefully for the time being anyway). To be honest, I (we're) trying to figure out what the problem is. Maybe we're just really good builders of stuff, rather than "livers of life" like we thought we were. Maybe it'll just pass and everything will be fine, I really don't know.

One nice thing are the daily fawning compliments we get on the boat. People go totally nuts over her, it's really something. We're right in the heart of downtown, so a lot of people see her which is cool. I'm really glad I strived for the perfection that I did on her finishes and fit, otherwise I'd have cut my ear off already. I can see the scrutiny from people as they examine her, and hear them comment when they congregate on the dock not knowing anyone is inside (usually when I'm trying to nap).

Oh, and we hate the composting head. Totally hate it. Everything else seems to be alright, except for filthy marina heads which we hate almost as much as the composting head. I can't wait to re install a head and illegally pump out overboard each and every time I go to the bathroom. What a joy that'll be..

So yup, we're still around and we made it. Now what...
FWIW I spent a long time building up my motorbike, when I was done I got the same feeling about being on the road. Lasted until I got myself off the boring interstate, and back into trouble. . I almost turned home for Canada I was so bored. 6 months later I was in Panama, wishing I could keep going but out of money. That burnout after huge effort is totally normal.

Gotta put her through her paces somewhere challenging to bring back the excitement? I'm sure there's a corollary for married people, but I guess that's not sailnet postable.

EDIT: I was really thinking about a composting head, but I have to say you've put me off a little bit. Bad enough already when someone's dropping the kids off at the pool next to my bed! Nevermind if there wasn't water there.
She sure is a looker!
chrisncate likes this.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 05-03-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I like to good old-fashioned salt water head with a holding tank and options. Remember in Canada I can dump. I just pick my spots carefully. Offshore it is directly overboard.

I have had a couple of problems - worn out valve seat, blocked holding tank discharge, stuck Y valve. I do not like fresh water electric heads. I did use a Raritan ElectroSan system once, it was interesting.
I'm with you on the salt water head with the ornamental holding tank option. I have never used the electric heads myself, and I think right now I'm a salt water head kind of guy (with a wife who feels the same way).
Old 05-03-2012

a8clark is on a distinguished road
What happened to Chris & Cate?

Yeah really, sounds like you better find yourselves another project. Nothing wrong with being a "builder of stuff", it's your way of living life and that's great. Better than being a consummate consumer.
Cheers,
Allen
Old 05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Chris,
A properly set up holding tank does not smell but even so for mine a head that is not fully enclosed is not on my list of acceptable options and to be honest is one of the reasons we ended up going to +40'. The head is a goodly size, has separate shower and is at the other end of the boat from our cabin so even if it does pong up a bit its far enough away from sleeping quarters to be a problem.

I do hope you can settle down and get your juices flowing again but it is very true that there is many a boat builder who on completion sells up and starts all over again. Maybe that is who you are but really if that is what gives you the buzz then why fight it ?
I typed ten different responses so far and none were right, so let me just acknowledge your post.

Post acknowledged.

I'm all over the effing map right now.
Old 05-03-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

CNC,

Sorry to hear that you're temporarily out of mojo. I had something happen last summer that may be simillar. We went out sailing and instead of exploring far and wide in a tight schedule to new uncharted territory we decided to stay IN our local island group (the San Juans) and be much more lazy.

What happened is that we both got so bored we came home a week early from our much anticipated 5 week trip. We both found the inconveniences of being at anchor were magnified and the excitement and fun of previous trips was really lacking.

Honestly it bothered me so much I was afraid to even talk about it for a while. I was worried that I didn't like cruising any more. If that were true, than my big dream of sailing off for 5 years suddenly looked like it might be bust!

What we figured out once we both started talking about it is that what we were doing was too familiar and too easy. Just like pitching a tent in your back yard isn't as much fun as Yosemite. There was no challenge and no new stimuli. I'm even hardedned to seeing dolphins as they're common around here. The giant jellyfish of Canada though, now they're novel!

I think what you need is to get out of town! Sail somewhere you've never been and after that, sail to another place you've never been. The challenges of navigating and sailing in a new area, the excitements of discovering new places are what it's all about.

MedSailor

PS Sorry to hear that the Nature's head isn't working for you. We still love ours 3 years later. What's with the coffee filters? We just open the trap door and drop the steamer then shut the door again.

This link might be just the toilet set-up that you're looking for. More typical head with ornamental holding tank. On the other hand it might be tall like your Nature's head. If you do build your own set up I have 2 pieces of advice: 1. Use rigid PVC wherever possible. PVC to hose hosebarbs exist. 2. Buy the $10/ft odorsafe hose for the parts where you NEED hose. 1.5" white "sanitation hose" for $2/ft can permanently ruin a boat by smell.

composting toilet report
Jgbrown likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 05-03-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: edited to actually add the link
Old 05-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I'm with you on the salt water head with the ornamental holding tank option. I have never used the electric heads myself, and I think right now I'm a salt water head kind of guy (with a wife who feels the same way).
The Womboat has saltwater electric head not fresh. Raven had a manual Lavac. Best manual head I've ever used but diameter of seat is a bit small.

Other than noise in the middle of the night (more inside the boat than out) I would be unimpressed going back to manual. You simply get used to the convenience I guess.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-03-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

An electric head will use a bit more battery but oh so convenient A token holding tank in the system if the guilt gets you. I can switch from fresh to salt if needs to ,but really prefer fresh for clean and low odor. Takes a lot more refilling tho. Still better than a bucket in the cockpit. You must be aware that projects are exponential. ( third power} Start a boat twice as big and enjoy eight times the refit. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
CNC,

Sorry to hear that you're temporarily out of mojo. I had something happen last summer that may be simillar. We went out sailing and instead of exploring far and wide in a tight schedule to new uncharted territory we decided to stay IN our local island group (the San Juans) and be much more lazy.

What happened is that we both got so bored we came home a week early from our much anticipated 5 week trip. We both found the inconveniences of being at anchor were magnified and the excitement and fun of previous trips was really lacking.

Honestly it bothered me so much I was afraid to even talk about it for a while. I was worried that I didn't like cruising any more. If that were true, than my big dream of sailing off for 5 years suddenly looked like it might be bust!

What we figured out once we both started talking about it is that what we were doing was too familiar and too easy. Just like pitching a tent in your back yard isn't as much fun as Yosemite. There was no challenge and no new stimuli. I'm even hardedned to seeing dolphins as they're common around here. The giant jellyfish of Canada though, now they're novel!

I think what you need is to get out of town! Sail somewhere you've never been and after that, sail to another place you've never been. The challenges of navigating and sailing in a new area, the excitements of discovering new places are what it's all about.

MedSailor

PS Sorry to hear that the Nature's head isn't working for you. We still love ours 3 years later. What's with the coffee filters? We just open the trap door and drop the steamer then shut the door again.

This link might be just the toilet set-up that you're looking for. More typical head with ornamental holding tank. On the other hand it might be tall like your Nature's head. If you do build your own set up I have 2 pieces of advice: 1. Use rigid PVC wherever possible. PVC to hose hosebarbs exist. 2. Buy the $10/ft odorsafe hose for the parts where you NEED hose. 1.5" white "sanitation hose" for $2/ft can permanently ruin a boat by smell.
Good advice all around, maybe we just need to force ourselves into a sail somewhere outside our area for a change of pace or something. Maybe we just need some time to acclimate, maybe both. It's only been a little while, and we're just keeping it loose and seeing how the day to day goes I guess.

The coffee filter thing...

for some reason that I can't quite identify - I feel like dogs look when pooping in public. You know, that sad, shameful look around, the loss of dignity... oh the humanity..
Old 05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8clark View Post
Yeah really, sounds like you better find yourselves another project. Nothing wrong with being a "builder of stuff", it's your way of living life and that's great. Better than being a consummate consumer.
Cheers,
Allen
Thanks Allen, first post, sheesh
Old 05-03-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Re-focus. You spent all that time on working on the boat, how much time have you spent on working the boat? That's as much a part of the process as the re-fit.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.