Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: What happened to Chris & Cate?

Chris n Cate,

Advice is free - take it for whatever it is worth. I say to trust your feelings, but keep your perspective.

There is a natural rhythm to human endeavor. There must be a time of rest and recuperation after a protracted effort. Spend some time doing something else that doesn't involve the boat, something that interests you. Visit relatives you haven't seen in a while. Go to an amusement park. Visit museums (Washington D.C. has a few you'll enjoy). Those are things I would do -- you'll have to come up with your own list.

When it is time to go back to the boat, you'll know. You'll feel that yearning, a build-up of energy, and you'll be ready for the next big push. The bay feels about as big as a bathtub, you say? I think seeds of your next phase are in place. When you are ready, it will be time to leave the tub, see new places, meet new people, and restore your connection to some of the greatest and kindest people in the world -- those who go to sea in boats!
chrisncate likes this.
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 05-03-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've never had a salt water head smell, if used routinely. Its the stagnant water in the lines that will decay over several days that is awful. Further, a holding tank doesn't have to smell either. The number one trick is to flush a ton of water. Most don't. A minimum of a full bowl of clean water, after you move the waste out. This keeps the lines clear, where most odor comes from. Second is to keep plenty of aeration in the tank, so aerobic bacteria (which have zero odor) will thrive and break waste down. Anaerobic bacteria are what stink and can't live in well ventilated places. Lastly, is to keep everything, and I mean everything, other than waste and toilet paper out of the tank. No oil, food, soap, cleaners, nothing. They can kill the aerobic bacteria outright or, in the case of oil, create a film on the top that prevents the exchange of air for that good bacteria.

If composting heads were as good as suggested by their proponents, they would be standard equipment on all new boats by now. Pump outs are a pain that everyone would like to avoid, if the solution were better. People just have different standards. I know some minimalists that could live with a 5 gallon bucket. I assure you the Queen of England is not leaving her DNA in a bucket of peat moss in Buckingham Palace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-03-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

I understand a bit what your going through....my only advice is to Go Sailing!!!Get out there and enjoy that hard work. Start planning trips, even if its just around the Ches. You had mention something in the past about a ham setup, you could work on that...

Good Luck!!! Look forward to an updated blog
chrisncate likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-03-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I'm with you on the salt water head with the ornamental holding tank option. I have never used the electric heads myself, and I think right now I'm a salt water head kind of guy (with a wife who feels the same way).
Chris, four years of near constant live-aboard use/abuse and I have been very good things to say about the Raritan PHII. I replaced a couple of o-rings this year, which cost $30 and took all of 20 minutes - but otherwise, it's been one of the more reliable systems on the boat.
chrisncate likes this.
Old 05-03-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Very good post on many fronts.

I've seriously considered a composting head on our boat that's under renovation. Mainly because I don't want to deal with dockside pump outs. (Having power boats most of my life, a 3 mile trip to dump the tank was a 5 minute ride.) I also want to utilize the space where the holding tank was for another fresh water tank.

One of the things that has me concerned about composting heads is the height. They are 5"-6" higher than a conventional marine toilet. Add that to the platform the base of the head is secured to, makes me wonder if I'll need wood blocks under my feet to sit on the thing. I will also have to give up the door to the V-berth if I install a composter.

CNC, is it the privacy thing about the head, the odor or height that you dislike? I thought there was very little odor with the composters.

Based upon my own experiences, some of us are just wired so that it is the destination that gives us purpose & keeps us motivated in life. When we meet our goals we begin looking for that next "project". Be patient, you'll figure it out.

Bob
Old 05-03-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Wow! No MOJO? That stinks guys! I have the perfect cure, go hang out in a huge mall for 3 days... That always makes me see things clearly!
MedSailor and chrisncate like this.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 05-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
.....I thought there was very little odor with the composters.....
What's "very little" and is that acceptable to most? Personally, once you air out the head from a visit, I expect zero notable odor.

Most of the proponents of these systems want to like them for environmental reasons and tolerate it, IMHO. Good for them. Not for me.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-03-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Chris (and Cate):
From what I can see, you've done a fantastic job on the boat. Maybe if nothing else, you've found a new profession ...?
chrisncate likes this.
Old 05-03-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Misfits, there is ZERO odor with a composting toilet (unless you've screwed something up). The height is something you have to think about as most boats have a platform for the head. I installed mine on the platform and I think it's a little too high. Later I plan on cutting out the platform and glassing a new, lower floor. The footprint is the same or less than a regular saltwater head so I can't understand why you'd have to leave the door off. It looks bigger, but a composting head is not really any bigger than a normal head, just higher and has more "volume". With the C&C case, that makes 3 cases that have come to my attention of people not satisfied with their composting head. The vast majority seem to think they're great, myself included).

C&C, what didn't you like about the composting toilet or was it the fact that you didn't have any privacy while using it? I must admit that there is a brief learning/getting used to period with a composting toilet, but it's just like learning to use any other marine head. No question that the home flushing toilet is the easiest!
Old 05-03-2012

Copa... I would like to seriously know more about how there can be zero odor. I understand that bacteria will eventually break down the waste. But let's say someone just used the head for solid waste and I go in about 15 minutes or even an hour later and pull the top up. How can there be literally no odor? Even mixed with peat moss or other media, zero odor doesn't seem possible until it breaks down.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.