Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Question What happened to Chris & Cate?

I haven't seen a post by them in the past couple months, just wondered if they've got their boat in the water and how their restoration project is coming. I tried sending them an email to their Comcast address, but it bounced back to me as undeliverable.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard from them,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: What happened to Chris & Cate?

Nice timing Gary, just got some internet today after a moderately long spell without any. I posted in a thread here earlier, first post in awhile. Our old email at Comcast is over and out, I'll pm you a new one. Thanks for noticing and wondering about us!

We're in the water, the boats done (well...), and here we are (for over a month now).

I haven't updated the blog but I should, it's been a real adjustment these last few weeks. I don't know where to even start, so all I will say is that we seem to have lost our sailing mojo. Coming down from doing the rebuild and adjusting to our lives not revolving around the refit is proving hard. For over a year our daily lives were nothing but boat refit 24/7, and now that that's gone we are kind of lost. Actually, we are totally lost. We currently have nothing to build and we don't know what to do it appears. Just "living" seems to be harder than we thought.

Being on the boat after all that we did, nothing looks the same anymore for some reason. The bay seems about as big as a bathtub, and the wonder of it all seems to have left us for the time being (hopefully for the time being anyway). To be honest, I (we're) trying to figure out what the problem is. Maybe we're just really good builders of stuff, rather than "livers of life" like we thought we were. Maybe it'll just pass and everything will be fine, I really don't know.

One nice thing are the daily fawning compliments we get on the boat. People go totally nuts over her, it's really something. We're right in the heart of downtown, so a lot of people see her which is cool. I'm really glad I strived for the perfection that I did on her finishes and fit, otherwise I'd have cut my ear off already. I can see the scrutiny from people as they examine her, and hear them comment when they congregate on the dock not knowing anyone is inside (usually when I'm trying to nap).

Oh, and we hate the composting head. Totally hate it. Everything else seems to be alright, except for filthy marina heads which we hate almost as much as the composting head. I can't wait to re install a head and illegally pump out overboard each and every time I go to the bathroom. What a joy that'll be..

So yup, we're still around and we made it. Now what...
Old 05-02-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Chris

Can you give an assessment of the composting head? Strengths? Weaknesses? Opportunities? Threats?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-02-2012
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Chris

Can you give an assessment of the composting head? Strengths? Weaknesses? Opportunities? Threats?
My opinion is that they are moderately unsanitary but probably doable on a medium to large boat with hot water on tap - gross and way too "up close" on a small boat with no hot water on tap.

The hot water is easy to live without, a composting head 1.5 feet from where you sleep and lay your head is .. bad. Keep in mind we are on a SMALL small boat, an A 30 isn't like a Catalina 30, it's real personal and up close in here.

Example: I am sleeping in the V, and suppose the Admiral has to pee (or god forbid, pinch a coil) - well, she's right there, hi! Some things are just things you need to do more than three feet from another human. And the coffee filters... oh the coffee filters..

We have a small boat.

EDIT: I should note the difference in space that the Natures Head takes up as compared to her old traditional head. The N/H is tall, very tall and it makes a huge difference in our small head area. It takes up a lot of area and it's way high. It makes a difference. The old head enabled the bathroom area to be closed off and private when in use, the N/H does not allow this on our boat due to the logistics of the thing from the perspective of the V berth. It still closes off from the salon, just not the V.

Last edited by chrisncate; 05-03-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2012

Chris

Thanks for that.

I have never had to deal with one.
Old 05-03-2012
prwg, NOW!

No prob, see my edit.

I think they might be ok to good on a bigger boat, a small boat not so much. I guess the truth about heads is nothing can compare to a house toilet. I have yet to encounter a marine head I find acceptable. You either hold it all in a gross smelly holding tank, or you try to ferment it in a composting head, or you pump overboard illegally for the least amount of fuss and hope you don't get caught.
Old 05-03-2012

I like to good old-fashioned salt water head with a holding tank and options. Remember in Canada I can dump. I just pick my spots carefully. Offshore it is directly overboard.

I have had a couple of problems - worn out valve seat, blocked holding tank discharge, stuck Y valve. I do not like fresh water electric heads. I did use a Raritan ElectroSan system once, it was interesting.
Old 05-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Gary Chris has been around recently in fact .... hey .... look here he is right now ...

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 05-03-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Chris,
A properly set up holding tank does not smell but even so for mine a head that is not fully enclosed is not on my list of acceptable options and to be honest is one of the reasons we ended up going to +40'. The head is a goodly size, has separate shower and is at the other end of the boat from our cabin so even if it does pong up a bit its far enough away from sleeping quarters to be a problem.

I do hope you can settle down and get your juices flowing again but it is very true that there is many a boat builder who on completion sells up and starts all over again. Maybe that is who you are but really if that is what gives you the buzz then why fight it ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-03-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Chris n who?!?!?!?! never eard of them! Maybe try one of them other forums!?!?!?!?!

Now to figure out whom fuzzy is trying to harass with his formidable writing wit!.........

Marty
chrisncate likes this.