Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: What is your End Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
The strangest guy ( Alvin) wants to get a steel-hulled 40' cutter and sail the northwest passage back and forth delivering supplies to remote settlements! Cool, but cold.
He's viewing that as a purely charitable endeavor, I presume?

Because, as either a means of support, or a profitable venture, that has to rate as one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard... (grin)
Bilgewater likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Are you kidding ...? Know what UPS and FedEx, not to mention USPS, would pay to subsidize that venture....?

Old 05-04-2012

06HarleyUltra is on a distinguished road

My end game??
After criss crossing the great USA on my motorcycles over the years, I've hit the point in my life where that no longer scratches my itch, so to speak. I had only been on a sail boat once in my life, when I was 20. I helped a friend sail his sloop into the SF bay, and move it to another marina.
In the last 2 years, we had a house fire with total content and structure loss, lost parents, moved to SC (from MI), and resumed careers after relocation. PHEW!!
Earlier this year, I took ASA 101 and fell in love. I used to enjoy exploring the world at 65-75 mph. I find now that 4 kts is perfect....whoda thunk?!?
If all goes right, Sunday I close and take delivery of my new passion.
I hope I NEVER have an end game.....This is too much dam fun right now

HDChopper likes this.
Old 05-04-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

There was a thread here recently with a video of a family taking "the old man" (who was in obvious ill health) out for a sail. The love and respect they showed him was palpable. The video got me to thinking. How would I like to finish sailing?
I guess the best game plan at this time is to teach my grandchildren how to sail and entertain them for a few summers with sailing and cruising around the Texas coast, then maybe they will be competent to take me and the rest of the family out for that last sail...
Last year my wife and I took a friend with rapidly advancing MS for a sail on Corpus Christi Bay. He grew up here and loves the city and bay. While he could only sit (huddle) in a corner of the cockpit he truly enjoyed his outing, seeing the city from the water, feeling the motion of the boat, talking about his life was more than anyone could have given him.
Which is all to say, if you want to go out with love and respect in the manner of your choosing, then you need to be building on that today.
Happy Sails,
John
Old 05-04-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Reading all these dreams and plans ...wow!. I've never had a plan but somehow I check off the lists of been there, done that. Cruised the Med, Atlantic, Carib, Built a Spray and sailed the PNWfor 30 years. Made a sailboat on the beach in Thailand and veged for 15 winters,Ran a research vessel in the North West Passage for 5 years. Now I operate my sailboat as a tourist sailing company and veggie garden a lot, specializing in home made wine and hooch. As an end game I'm now planing.. Sell the rental houses and boat and go back to the Thai beach before my knees give out. Maybe a trophy mate: have to think about that one.
Congratulations on what sounds to be an amazing life lived and living.
Old 05-04-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Just a note, girl freinds, boy friends, wives, husbands, and kids can have a big impact on you "End Game" plan. A lot of "stuff" can happen in life before you get to the "end". So remain flexible, and have an A plan a B plan C plan....

When I get to the "end", my plan is to go down with the ship...
Old 05-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

What others have said: Being realistic--Go south for the winter, back up north for the summer. I often consider selling the house but in actuality, I really like it here most of the time...even winter sitting at this stupid computer, contributing to these message boards. After being on the boat for a month or more, I am ready to get back. Sailing and living in the mountains are similar in that both are fairly solitary endeavors. It's not like I'm escaping from LI or somewhere obnoxious. The house is really my primary obstruction to setting out for parts unknown. Worrying about leaving it subject to what can happen to vacant houses usually limits the time span of my sailing voyages. I have equipped the boat for offshore over the last couple of years, so have no excuse any longer notto sail to Thailand Geeeez.
Old 05-04-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I'm 50 this year, so my 'end game' is closer than some (but not as close as others).

The plan is to sail in New England until I can't afford it or can't do it. Winters on the hard; summers on the mooring. It could be worse!

My C-25 will fit on a trailer; I'd like to take a sabbatical from work and have it trucked down to the Florida panhandle; I'd fly down and then sail it down the Gulf Coast to the Keys and back. If the Keys are as much fun as I hear, I can have the empty trailer shipped down and run down the clock there. 3 months? 6 months? Who knows?

Longer term, I can't say that I won't move up to a larger boat (who can?) but I'll probably move back to a trailer sailer when the mooring and storage becomes too expensive. Something like a 16-17 foot daysailer.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012

dshafer45 is on a distinguished road
already doing it!

Winters in Miami, summers on Newport with sidetrips to bahamas, nantucket, etc. But still have a home in new York...when u get tired of living in 100 sq ft! Plus, moving the boat offshore means a lot more maintenance than a cabin in the woods. But would I give it up...Not until they carry me off on a stretcher...bit don't ask my wife! 67 and at least 10 to go!
Old 05-04-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

My "end game" is pretty much status quo! We moved aboard 40 years ago and sailed to Florida. We never downsized and never owned a house or more than would fit inside a small car. We are now cruising to Maine for the summer and we'll be back to the Bahamas or Keys for the winter. Health might drive us off the boat ,- maybe we'll find an assisted living marina! I could adventure to land,- something new and exciting! ....we'll see, take care and joy, Aythya crew
Tempest and HDChopper like this.