Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road
Re: What is your End Game?

To sww914,
I applaude your fortitude! What a tough bunch of circumstances........
Hope to see you out there someday, as my endgame includes cruising through Mexico. Best wishes to your wife and son for the best of health.
Regards
TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
We have too much luck, this family. Way too good and way too bad. Sometimes I really want medium! Just plain old boring middle.
I don't feel sorry for myself anymore, I just look ahead. Behind looks bad, really bad, but forward looks pretty damned nice. Nice indeed. We're living the dream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

BTW, here's a picture of the dwarf in question with a hippo in the background for size comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your End Game?-p1000348.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2012

gus_452000 is on a distinguished road

My great grandfather, had three daughters, he married them all off and set out on his yacht. Every three months they would get a simple postcard, from wherever he was, after 11 years they stopped coming. It is thought he and his yacht where lost somewhere off Portugal.

I have four children, I will see them all start university and graduate, then, just me and my boat will be gone. I have spent 5 years raising them on my own and I have a further 10 years left to do. I shall go and follow my great grandfather's footsteps, and go in "that" direction until I find something I like or I have to turn before I hit something.

No great idea's, thats the full plan, no where in particular to go and no time table to follow, just me sailing somewhere, not having to worry about the kids, the house, the bills etc. Just going to go and do it, for me, for my time.
Old 08-28-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

My brother has probably the best attitude towards life of anyone I've met. I've lately tried hard to live as he does. His motto is "It isn't he who dies with the most toys, it's He who has the most fun!"

He almost sold everything he had a year ago, to buy a trailer home on 1 acre, on the corner of deep water access, in the hot sound in North Carolina. He didn't want to put a 40 footer there, no, he just wanted to sail his 17 foot newport. He's since moved to Tennessee, but he's on a river, close to 2 lakes, and sailing his newport, and fishing with a good friend.

He's got the right goal, NOT sailing a floating McMansion (not that there is a problem with that, nor would he be against that)... he thinks in practical, "Can I do it now" terms.

My endgame? I just want to downsize my house, MORE land, so I can bring my horses home. I want a simple LOW maintenance house. The boat I have now, is a BLAST, I want to make it the best example of a Capri 25 that is possible for a 30yo boat. I am going to sail it in our local lake every minute I can afford to, and have fun doing it. I may travel to other lakes with it for long weekends, and perhaps some more open water for a week trip or 2 (if the wife will go along). I am not against hotels in this equation.

We field trial, so having horses home is great, moving closer to work is better (we drive 50 miles now). Having a place INSIDE to work on the boat/trailer, and living quarters horse trailer is a bonus.

Why do I say all this? Because we are working on getting that house now, not 10 years from now. I already love how this boat sails. It's rough, but I plan on working on it over the winter. This new house has enough room with a heated outbuilding that is big enough for me to back my boat into all winter in order to do the work on it that it requires. None of what I want to do is very expensive. In fact, moving to this place should save me close to $1500 a month (between taxes, and horse care, and shorter driving). I will likely only put about $5000 in work into the boat this year, including a couple sails.

To me, the best goals/endgame are the ones you can achieve now, if you achieve them now, you are happy NOW.

Honestly, I'll go one step further, if none of this happens, I'll still be VERY happy. Because my wife understands this sailing obsession. I share with her, on obsession with our Brittany hunting dogs, and field trialing. Having a hobby you can share together with a partner/friend, is pretty darned cool in itself.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.