SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is this Legal? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87011-legal.html)

Harborless 05-04-2012 11:47 AM

Is this Legal?

Okay. So I am on a liveaboard slip paying $370 per month for my 27' house. I am in the Ortega River channel.
In the same channel, about a 1/4 mile down (towards the draw bridge) lives my good friend Joel. Joel lives in a house RIGHT on the river with a dock.

I get to thinking, maybe I can save the 375 and just move the boat over to his dock. Only thing is at the end of the dock the water is still too shallow so I would have to anchor/moore out another 20-30 feet. Lots of boats are moored in the same area. I would not have my boat inside the "channel," so to speak.

Is this legal? I have his permission but I will be about 20-3 feet past the dock and unless there is already a mooring ball I would just keep two anchors out and use a dinghy to get to and from the dock.
If I can save $375 per month and gain access to a pool I will do so, just want to make sure coasties wont be stopping by for a visit.

zeta 05-04-2012 11:51 AM

Re: Is this Legal?

Keep your slip and try it at your friends for a week and see what happens. Not the h2o po-po I would worry about, but your friends neighbors.

travlineasy 05-04-2012 12:07 PM

Call the Florida Marine Patrol and ask them. Last time I talked with the main office they were very helpful and provided my with the needed answers to my questions.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

BubbleheadMd 05-04-2012 12:35 PM

Is Joel going to let you use his bathroom facilities every day too?

Minnewaska 05-04-2012 01:18 PM

If Joel tires of you, which may happen very diplomatically, you want to be sure you have somewhere to go.

MedSailor 05-04-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harborless (Post 867182)

This post has been reported to the department of homeland security. The nice men in the unmarked van outside your window will let you know if it is legal.;)

MedSailor

joethecobbler 05-06-2012 09:54 PM

If you call yourself a liveaboard and declare yourself as a liveaboard in florida the local municipality can limit your anchoring time and tell you to move on.
However if you do not declare yourself as a liveaboard and just happen to stay onboard every day and night then their authority to move you along is limited to harrassing you at any hour they wish as well as boarding your vessel under the guise of safety and sanitary reasons for your own safety(of course).
THe general appearance of your craft as well as your jovial deameanor when you first encounter the water authorities will determine how pleasant your time at anchor in that vicinity will be.
you mentioned there were others anchoring for extended periods in your vicinity ? I would ask around and test the waters (so to speak) before making a final decision on the relocation.
Also I would consider keeping a log of your pump outs (unless you have a composting head) as well as thinking through the availability of fresh water and other niceties the marina presumably currently supplies for the $375 a month (not bad actually for a liveaboard, and I'm ... quite frugal ).
Finally, I'd invest in 3 large anchors and plenty of chain , you'll sleep better and so will everyone in your lee.

Boat safe,have fun, or what's the point.