Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Question Is this Legal?

Okay. So I am on a liveaboard slip paying $370 per month for my 27' house. I am in the Ortega River channel.
In the same channel, about a 1/4 mile down (towards the draw bridge) lives my good friend Joel. Joel lives in a house RIGHT on the river with a dock.

I get to thinking, maybe I can save the 375 and just move the boat over to his dock. Only thing is at the end of the dock the water is still too shallow so I would have to anchor/moore out another 20-30 feet. Lots of boats are moored in the same area. I would not have my boat inside the "channel," so to speak.

Is this legal? I have his permission but I will be about 20-3 feet past the dock and unless there is already a mooring ball I would just keep two anchors out and use a dinghy to get to and from the dock.
If I can save $375 per month and gain access to a pool I will do so, just want to make sure coasties wont be stopping by for a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012

zeta is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this Legal?

Keep your slip and try it at your friends for a week and see what happens. Not the h2o po-po I would worry about, but your friends neighbors.
Old 05-04-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Call the Florida Marine Patrol and ask them. Last time I talked with the main office they were very helpful and provided my with the needed answers to my questions.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-04-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Is Joel going to let you use his bathroom facilities every day too?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If Joel tires of you, which may happen very diplomatically, you want to be sure you have somewhere to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-04-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
This post has been reported to the department of homeland security. The nice men in the unmarked van outside your window will let you know if it is legal.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-06-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

If you call yourself a liveaboard and declare yourself as a liveaboard in florida the local municipality can limit your anchoring time and tell you to move on.
However if you do not declare yourself as a liveaboard and just happen to stay onboard every day and night then their authority to move you along is limited to harrassing you at any hour they wish as well as boarding your vessel under the guise of safety and sanitary reasons for your own safety(of course).
THe general appearance of your craft as well as your jovial deameanor when you first encounter the water authorities will determine how pleasant your time at anchor in that vicinity will be.
you mentioned there were others anchoring for extended periods in your vicinity ? I would ask around and test the waters (so to speak) before making a final decision on the relocation.
Also I would consider keeping a log of your pump outs (unless you have a composting head) as well as thinking through the availability of fresh water and other niceties the marina presumably currently supplies for the $375 a month (not bad actually for a liveaboard, and I'm ... quite frugal ).
Finally, I'd invest in 3 large anchors and plenty of chain , you'll sleep better and so will everyone in your lee.

Boat safe,have fun, or what's the point.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.