Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012
Captain Bill

Domknotty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Domknotty
Mooring in Florida

I just found this article

http://www.boatus.com/gov/GA005FLAnchoring.pdf

From what I am reading Florida Residents with a land address can essentially moor wherever they want in Florida waters (except a few areas outlined) is this true?
The good ship Ubiquitous
Blog Addy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring in Florida

Sweet. This answers my previous question.
Old 05-04-2012
Captain Bill

Domknotty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Domknotty

I thought it might, I have heard for years that Florida waters are like this while most other states have very strict laws on mooring. Can anyone confirm?
The good ship Ubiquitous
Blog Addy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012

bacampbe is on a distinguished road

Where did you see any requirement to be a FL resident or have a land address?
Old 05-04-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I have been anchoring in Florida since 1972 on board my vessel that has been my only home for the past forty years. I have often been at marinas, but I have also anchored out at many locations for as long as three months at time. My vessel has always been sound and involved in "navigation". I often leave Florida, as I am now cruising to Maine for the summer, but since 1972 I have never had ANY comment or question by any authority about my anchoring practices. I'll admit that it is not my practice to anchor in high density areas or attempt dinghy access ashore at places that are not open to the public. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 05-04-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I have been anchoring in Florida since 1972 on board my vessel that has been my only home for the past forty years. I have often been at marinas, but I have also anchored out at many locations for as long as three months at time. My vessel has always been sound and involved in "navigation". I often leave Florida, as I am now cruising to Maine for the summer, but since 1972 I have never had ANY comment or question by any authority about my anchoring practices. I'll admit that it is not my practice to anchor in high density areas or attempt dinghy access ashore at places that are not open to the public. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Agree, though I have heard Marco can still be a bit touchy.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-06-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

There has been quite a bit of controversy about anchoring in florida waters in the previous years. The state statutes have recently been redefined and punctuated by the state legislature per State statute 327 and associated statutes.
Those in favor of "free" anchoring and upholding the hundreds of year old maritime tradition of unhindered anchoring are often at odds with those apposed to it .
It is my opinion that those apposed often have ulterior motives or conflicting interests in regulating and limiting anchoring.
It is also my opinion that those same folks that oppose anchoring use the lack of knowledge of the non-boating public and the sensationalizing of the exceptions and extremes of some anchoring incidents to further their positions and poison the minds of the uneducated masses to sway public opinion.
Now for the "reality" of anchoring in Florida.
If your vessel is well founded and relatively visually approachable, you will draw alot less special attention from the waterborn authorities claiming to be interested in your safety.
This and a bit of courtesy and planning will go along way to avoiding unwanted attention.
Also , if you are approached by the fine young people funded by our tax dollars, you would do well to conduct yourself in a courtious manor and abide by all maritime rules and regulations. A smile and pleasant demeanor go a long way towards avoiding further interest in you and your vessel .
Remember, "they" also have internet access and talk amongst themselves about "us" and although you may think two days travel afloat is a long way, to the land based ever reaching authorities it is a 45 minute drive down the coast, still possibly in the same jurisdiction.
Finally, it would be wise not to declare yourself a full time liveaboard as when you do, then you are subject to a slightly more restrictive set of guidelines and restrictions in regard to your "right " to anchor for what some would charactorize as an "extended" period of time as florida statutes allow local authorities to regulate the anchoring of liveaboard vessels.

Sail safe, have fun or what's the point.
Old 05-06-2012

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road

This is great a thread to pop up for me as I just returned to the forum rdy to buy my first boat and I am in a new puzzle of slip fees, mooring, trailing. To the above posters can I ask anyone for a link or best way to find mooring locations in my area (Stuart, Ft.Pierce, St. Lucie) or rules about mooring other than the legal guidline links above and more of the types of boaters rules that might exist like no dropping anchor 3 feet off of someones backyard seawall etc.
Old 05-06-2012

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road

Another question for sailors with experience in mooring on Florida waters is does anyone have any opinions on "non live aboard" conditions in this area (treasure coast)? Would the rules change etc? Warnings, do's and don'ts.
Old 05-06-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

lots of fucus on anchoring in the areas you indicated. and there is a distinction betweeen anchoring and mooring . with the recent implimentation of the mooring field areas in florida I would suggest due diligence in your search for anchorages in your area of operation. I believe there are "set backs" in certain municipaties that have instituted around mooring fields in stuart particularly .
If you are considering a trailerable craft and can meet your needs with one. It can be a great economic advantage as well as relieve alot of anxiety of having a boat at anchor for extended periods when not aboard, not to mention your latitudes propensity for hurricanes and thier associated problems for boats.
lots of my sailing aquaintences are downsizing to trailerable boats to eliminate the cost os slippage and maintenance . It also allows you to trailor to your destination launch have fun then trailor back home for monday morning slave-training.

boat safe, have fun, or what's the point.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.