Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Worth of the risk to save 7% time?

In a week of so, I need to take a 37 footer from Norfolk to Hyannis Port. Sail direct to Block Island and Hyannis is 409 nm or directly to Hyannis Port is 399 nm.

If we hug the coast within 8 to 10 nm all the way so that we can pick up cell coverage and marine forecast is about 429 nm. It is about 30 nm or 5 hours more. I am willing to take the risk providing that there is no iffy weather at the time of departure.

I don't want to rush, but time is very expensive for me.

Your thoughts?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012

justified is on a distinguished road
Re: Worth of the risk to save 7% time?

rD
I now it wont save to much but why not stay close untill Cape May and then start to cu the corner, yes you will still end up about 50 nm off and out of cell coverage for a short while but you can get your info before you loose it or before leaving cape may you should get coverage back well before you get to Montauk and make your decision whether to do block or go straight to Hyannis.
Have a great sail and fair winds to you and your crew. I will be on a deliv coming up from Key West next week. Yes I have a BIG SMILE on my face
Peter
Old 05-04-2012

okawbow is on a distinguished road

Last year, on June 21st, my wife and I sailed our Cheoy Lee 31 from Cape May , NJ, to Judith Point, RI. We sailed directly there, and the trip took about 39 hours. We had a 48 hour weather window, and had fairly good wind all the way.

You should be able to do a little better on a 37 footer. I think I would sail from Norkolk to Cape May, and then decide if the weather was ok for the rest. It's sometimes hard to get the 3 day+ weather window you will need for an easy passage. You could even go up the Cheasapeake and take the C/D to Cape May if it's rough outside.

Watch out for the fishing boats offshore at night. They never answered my hails, and 1 almost ran us down. It would have if we hadn't started the motor and veered off at the last moment. They have bright lights on, and loud music blaring. They just can't see or hear you.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 05-04-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Hug the coast until Cape May then jump off Block Island direction makes sense.
We will use Cape May, Sandy Hook, Hell Gate as back up.

I don't enjoy sailing Chesapeake Bay much (live there too long ). We will wait until good weather window to go out from Norfolk.

As for the professional fisherman boats, they own the water in all Atlantic. We are the pleasure boat sailors, we stay away from them and never bother them with radio.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-05-2012

catamount is on a distinguished road

Have done several deliveries from the Chesapeake to New England -- from Cape May we have always gone offshore direct to Block Island or Buzzard's Bay. From Norfolk I would probably go direct offshore depending on my level of comfort with the boat and the crew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 05-05-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I think you know that your decision should be based on the soundness of the vessel, the fitness and experience of the crew, safety and a decent weather wndow, not time or expense.

Offshore from Cape May to Block, with a good weather window is a good option. Hugging the Long Island coast doesn't make a lot of sense, since any weather bad enough to chase you in, would make the Long Island inlets less than a desirable option.
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 05-07-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Yes, I do.

I am thinking to take a bit more risk (calculated) to prepare me to handle more heavy sea. With all theories in my head step by step and not able to use them is hard to gain confidence. I do worry the low from the south this time of the year.

This is a short crew trip, only 2 of us. I will be doing most of the long watch. My plan is still relatively simple:

If we don't have a good departure window, we will sit tight in Norfolk.
If the window is good and wide, we will head out and sail direct to Block Island or Hyannis Port. If the weather turns bad while on route we will sail to Cape May wait there until the weather is favorable again. The worst scenario will be Norfolk, Cape May, Sandy Point, Hell Gate, LI sound to .... etc.

I agree that sailing along LI offers not advantage.

Fine Print:
Old 05-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Yes, I do.

I am thinking to take a bit more risk (calculated) to prepare me to handle more heavy sea. With all theories in my head step by step and not able to use them is hard to gain confidence. I do worry the low from the south this time of the year.

This is a short crew trip, only 2 of us. I will be doing most of the long watch. My plan is still relatively simple:

If we don't have a good departure window, we will sit tight in Norfolk.
If the window is good and wide, we will head out and sail direct to Block Island or Hyannis Port. If the weather turns bad while on route we will sail to Cape May wait there until the weather is favorable again. The worst scenario will be Norfolk, Cape May, Sandy Point, Hell Gate, LI sound to .... etc.

I agree that sailing along LI offers not advantage.
Just keep in mind that a clock is the most dangerous thing on a boat.
rockDAWG likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-07-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Just keep in mind that a clock is the most dangerous thing on a boat.
I heard that loud and clear for the first time a few weeks ago. Not sure it was you or not. Someone also mentioned the calendar too. I take heart for those wise words.

Oh yeah stay out those inlets.

Fine Print:
Old 05-07-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Sleep off-watch as much as possible..even if it's nice out. Murphy's law states that the " The **** always hits the fan at the end of the trip when you're exhausted and trying to make landfall. " That's when mistakes get made.