Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012

Mitch817 is on a distinguished road
do I want this boat?

now that's a silly question to ask... of course I want this boat! (it's a sickness I tell ya!)

The story as I have it, brother's new father-in-law has an older catalina 22 he bought used a couple of years ago to put back on the water and learn to sail. There's been some work done, mostly cleaning things up. Something I'm hearing about is he used a power washer to strip the bottom paint because he didn't like the color(?) and wanted to paint it something else. He's never gotten around to repainting the bottom.

So far as I know the boat is otherwise sailable, could use new sails. new interior cushions, well, it could probably use a lot, including whatever the bottom will need done to it now.

The deal is he is willing to pretty much give it away to someone 'in the family' because he doesn't like dealing with people generally and doesn't want to deal with selling it. It has a trailer and clear title. So they asked me because they know that I sail.

Now, knowing all of that, do I REALLY want this boat? I'm not sure. I've some repair and general upkeep experience on the catalina 22's due to a group I'm in on a local lake. We do a lot of our own maintenance/cleaning/upkeep/upgrades to the boats. So I'm not a total newbie to all of this.

The bottom is what's got me the most concerned I guess. I've not seen a picture of it yet and I'm not sure what it'll cost to set it right. It comes with a trailer, I might could repaint the bottom myself, or farm it out to the local shop. All depends on what it'll cost and what other damage might be there.

I sail on an inland Texas lake, fresh water, and as near as I know the boat has always lived inland. She's not been in the water for at least 4 or 5 years now, probably longer.

"Free" boats... part of me says she's going to be expensive to set right and it'd be cheaper to go elsewhere. another part of me thinks she might not be so far gone and could be rescued.

I dunno.. I've asked for some pics from the owner (especially of the bottom), if I get anything postable I'll add to the thread.

Thanks,
Mitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: do I want this boat?

It does not sound like a fatal attraction. It is a small boat and easy to fix, if you are handy and enjoy taking care of toys. Why not.

Take her and sail her. Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-04-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road

At least go look at it and find out.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Power washers are used to remove the bottom paint all the time; it removes any growth and the softer (single season) paints. It won't harm the barrier coat (or gelcoat). I don't think that's an issue.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

It's a cat 22- it is among the most idiot-proof boats ever built.
I wouldn't be concerned about bottom damage- it was pressure washed, not sandblasted. Bottom paint it, splash it, clean the bejeebus out of it to make it look nice and smell pretty, fix what's broke and either sail it or sell it. A sailable cat 22 on a trailer with working lights and good tires is worth $2500 all day long.

Old 05-04-2012

tgvas is on a distinguished road

Go For It!
Old 05-04-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Yup, go for it.
Old 05-05-2012

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road

Mitch, I'm sure lots of others would love to be in your position. You have a good problem.
Old 05-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sounds too good to pass up. Only a couple of things I would want to know before I took title.

First, could she be sold? She may be free, but you will want to trade one day and have responsibility for her. These are inexpensive boats, so any major need for repair will fully exceed their value and you'll never sell it. Disposing of a boat is very difficult.

Second, how much will it cost you to have her in the condition you will want her in? Bottom paint should not be a problem. Sails, standing or running rigging, does she need an outboard, any decking or topside paintwork, etc, etc. If any are unsafe, you have no choice. However, individual standards can play a big part in whether you dump a ton of money into any boat. Just be comfortable with what you are getting into.

If these work out, you have the golden egg, go for it !

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

p.s. I painted many family boats on their trailers when I was a kid. Indentured labor! Stuff like that turned me off boating for a period of my youth.

However, it was very doable, with some creativity and patience. As a kid, i just wanted to goplay with my friends. On some, we would block/jack the transom and roll it back on the trailer (pull the trailer out) to get under rollers, others we would get creative with screw jacks right on the trailer. Be careful. Back then, I didnt really know how gravity worked.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.